Braylon Heard Transferring...

Adbullah's runs in the UCLA game: -1, 5, 6, 12, 2, 4, 4, 25, 17, 3 (fumbled away to UCLA),-3,0, 2,5, 36, 2

Heard's the entire season:

[10 (TD), 20, 4] (Ameer 5.4ypc / Heard 11.3ypc),

[9, 5, 7] (Ameer 7.4ypc / Heard 7.0ypc),

[-2, 9, 0, 6, 14, 8, 3, 3, 2, 11] (Ameer 5.6ypc / Heard 5.4ypc) ,

[6, 20, 0, 6, 10, 27 (TD), 5] (Ameer 6.1ypc / Heard 10.6ypc),

[3, -2],

[17, 2, 6, 0, -1],

[18],

[did not play],

[did not play],

[7, 15, 3],

[7, 2, 0, 4, 0, 1, 4],

[9, 12, 18, 7] (Ameer was 14 attempts for 50 yards)

[9, -4, 6, 11, 4, 2] (after early 9 yard gain, gave him basically 1 series, down by 46 points already - Ameer was 5 attempts for 18 yards))

[5] (Ameer was 7 attempts for 48 yards)

They worked well together. Heard only had 3 rushes for a loss on the season. Had a few big runs, but he was consistently good for 5-7 yards. Ameer has more big plays, but also has more lower yardage gains. And I'm not sure if Heard fumbled the ball all season. Like em both in there.

Here's a perfect example. Remember that UCLA game last year, the footrace? The one where our defense held in the second half an our offense imploded?

Towards the end of the 3rd quarter, we were down 3. Here's our rushing production at that point.

Ameer loss of 3 yards

Ammer no gain

Ameer incomplete pass

Ameer 2 yard gain

Ameer 5 yard gain

We come out in the 4th, and Ameer has a long run...then enter Heard...

Heard 9 yard gain

Heard 5 yard gain

Heard 7 yard gain

Ameer 2 yard gain

Marrow -1 (missed field goal)

Then we go 6 passes, all incomplete over the next couple of series inlcuding an interception.

Heard only got 3 rushes that game, averaging 7 yards a carry, down 3...and they could have been the spark that got us a win. Instead, Beck goes full Watson. Perfect example of going away from the hot hand. He countinues to pound Heard that series we're looking at a shorter field goal or a TD. He pounds Heard the next series instead of depending on the pass and we win that game. Heard/Abdullah were a great 1-2 punch. We'll miss that, and it's a complete question mark whether someone else can fill that role. I'd much rather gone w/ the guarentee.

You can speculate and cherry pick all you want.

You conveniently gloss over the fact that the play before those three carries Heard got was a 36 yard run by Abdullah. So Abdullah had one run for 36 yards and Heard had three runs for 21 yards. Maybe Beck was going back to the hot hand. What about the drive where Abdullah had a 25 yard run and a 17 yard TD run?

I agree that it's a loss and I wish he was still here but finding one example of when one player performed better than another - especially when you try to give the impression that those were five plays closely together for Abdullah when those are actually one short of every offensive touch he got in the second half - is misleading at best and doesn't prove anything even if everything else was equal - which it isn't.

• Fire 1

You can speculate and cherry pick all you want.

You conveniently gloss over the fact that the play before those three carries Heard got was a 36 yard run by Abdullah. So Abdullah had one run for 36 yards and Heard had three runs for 21 yards. Maybe Beck was going back to the hot hand. What about the drive where Abdullah had a 25 yard run and a 17 yard TD run?

I agree that it's a loss and I wish he was still here but finding one example of when one player performed better than another - especially when you try to give the impression that those were five plays closely together for Abdullah when those are actually one short of every offensive touch he got in the second half - is misleading at best and doesn't prove anything even if everything else was equal - which it isn't.

gloss it over...?...I said he had the long run. Hot hand? Hot because he was treating the football like a hot potato and coughed it up on the turf shortly before that long run. Heard was steamrolling UCLA in that second half. Even you have to admit that - even though it doesn't support most of the people (not saying you) on here's argument that Heard was worthless and we're better off without him. I just don't buy it. He wasn't better than Abdullah - but there is nothing but Husker Hope that says he is worse than Cross, Taylor, Newby.

I went through all of the games in the next post to try and not "cherry pick" but you chose to ignore that. If you look at his carries they were sparse at best. He rarely got a full series unless it was garbage time. His blocking was fine - nothing worse than Cross or these freshman we're now depending on. He caught a number of balls out of the backfield. He didn't fumble. I don't know if he could have gotten in there anymore. (@Qmany) But I just completely disagree w/ those that say we are a better team without him, or that he isn't a loss.

(@Qmany) But I just completely disagree w/ those that say we are a better team without him, or that he isn't a loss.

I would agree with you on that. I don't think we are a better team without him, and he was an asset so it is a loss. I just don't think it is a grave loss. We have some great talent coming in. If he wasn't happy here, I wish him the best. It sucks to lose a backup, or third string, but we will be fine. Of course, I don't want to see Ameer go down early (or ever).

Taylor: Never played

Newby: Never played

Cross: Barely played

Abdullah: One injury away from not playing.

Heard: Barely played

Now Heard is looking a little better. How do you know this? Honestly? We have gotten no reports of him since they said he was transferring.

Losing Heard is a loss. Losing anyone who is on 1st or 2nd team is a loss for that matter. I just don't think we will be any "weaker" that he is gone. None of us know if he would even see the field much, or if Cross would have beat him out. There is a reason Cross got just as many carries as Heard. I liked Heard's running ability, and his natural presence on the field.

Maybe it was mentioned here earlier since we are now 13 pages deep into this topic but the one thing that bothers me the most about him moving on is that we stuck with him for an entire season until he could get the grades to play. Then he essentially takes a "what have you done for me lately" approach when he is not listed as the starter or was asked to do some different things for the offense.

Where was Kentucky and the SEC offers when he was trying to get qualified?

We could have just as easily pulled the offer and given it to someone else but the coaches believed in their word and in the young man to make it on the team.

To me, this should speak volumes about his character more so than anything Vince Marrow may or may not have done.

When he is out this year, I hope he gets a real close look at what he got himself into for his last year of football.

Good Luck. You are going to need it.

• Fire 7

We won't lose 1200 to 1500 yards of production over the next 2 years bc he quit. Saying we will lose those yards is saying that he is the only person with a skill set to attain those yards. We will still rush for those yards but the yardage will go to a back that wants to be here and compete for carries. I love the fact that we can lose a 5 star and 4 star back and still be a top ten rushing attack. What the coaches are asking from the running back position is working and you develop that attitude amongst the backs it will only make the guys that stick it out that much better

• Fire 1

Maybe it was mentioned here earlier since we are now 13 pages deep into this topic but the one thing that bothers me the most about him moving on is that we stuck with him for an entire season until he could get the grades to play. Then he essentially takes a "what have you done for me lately" approach when he is not listed as the starter or was asked to do some different things for the offense.

Where was Kentucky and the SEC offers when he was trying to get qualified?

We could have just as easily pulled the offer and given it to someone else but the coaches believed in their word and in the young man to make it on the team.

To me, this should speak volumes about his character more so than anything Vince Marrow may or may not have done.

When he is out this year, I hope he gets a real close look at what he got himself into for his last year of football.

Good Luck. You are going to need it.

This is the attitude I have had ever since I found out he was leaving.

Aaron Green averages 8.8 YPC in his brief Husker career and looks OK doing it, then transfers. He gets a thread with 300 replies over the course of maybe three weeks' conversation.

Braylon Heard averages 6.7 YPC in his brief Husker career and looks OK doing it, then transfers. And we're on reply #630-something, three months after news of his transfer filtered out.

What am I missing here? Why the greater sense of loss with Heard? Green was always projected to be a bigger star than Heard. Why the ongoing conversation about this guy? Is this offseason just that dull?

Aaron Green averages 8.8 YPC in his brief Husker career and looks OK doing it, then transfers. He gets a thread with 300 replies over the course of maybe three weeks' conversation.

Braylon Heard averages 6.7 YPC in his brief Husker career and looks OK doing it, then transfers. And we're on reply #630-something, three months after news of his transfer filtered out.

What am I missing here? Why the greater sense of loss with Heard? Green was always projected to be a bigger star than Heard. Why the ongoing conversation about this guy? Is this offseason just that dull?

You are probably right about the dull offseason. If we had received more commits from recruiting or if the other sports were doing better, it may not hae been an issue.

A few things to point out about your comment that may shed light:

1. We barely got to know Green before he left.

2. When Green left, we still had Burkhead, Abdullah, and Heard

3. With Heard AND Burkhead now gone and Abdullah injured, there may be a feeling of thin ranks at RB despite the incoming freshmen.

4. Vince Marrow/Kentucky. I think if he transfers anywhere else, this thread dies sooner than it did.

Because there was more depth behind green. It was a big loss, but not so much that a next reliable guy can come in. Now, Heard leaves, essentially as our No.2 back, and we are arguably going to be relying on 2 guys who have never played a college down to play the back up role. I know Imani is there, but he is not an everydown back. So people are a bit more on the fritz about this one.

Depth behing Green when he transferred: Heard.

Depth behind Heard when he transferred: Cross, Newby, Taylor, Frazier.

All speculative of course. Cross, Newby, and Taylor could all qualify as being ahead of Heard. We just dont know yet.

Burkhead and Abdullah were ahead of Green. That was set in stone.