***Official Weather Thread***

The only tornado I ever really remember threatening Lincoln, as least when I lived there, was when I was maybe 4-5 years old.... I lived in the Highlands area then and there was a rather long-track F2 or F3 that did some damage in the Air Park neighborhood before crossing Hwy 34 about 200 yards to the north of our house.

Ironically, I saw more tornadoes in Wisconsin than I ever did in Nebraska.

In Denver I see funnels all the time, though they rarely touch down. On most days I can see DIA from my house and there seems to be one hit around or near it just about once a year.

Here is the pic they posted (the same at the start of that video). Notice it's way oversaturated and bumped in contrast and levels for dramatic effect, in case anyone cares.

10269069_1488615684701745_20242880895635

And this is their Facebook page in case anyone is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/basehunters

The image probably also benefits from a clarity boost (whether in Lightroom or through a Photoshop action). There does appear to be a bit of halo-ing which is indicative of a high clarity boost or HDR processing, which does include that clarity adjustment as well. Either way, I don't think its terribly overdone (a bit overdone, yes) but as a photographer and meteorologist I am okay with that for a number of reasons, mostly because of how impressive the cell is, I would probably stylize it in a similar fashion as well.

On a different not:

i know the following is from North Dakota but thought I would share anyway.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27592889

(sorry, I am at work and couldn't find it in a quick search, so as to show in the thread)

Which led me to comment this way: That's some amazing video. But its sad they stayed where they were and tried to film it instead of seeking shelter. It's also sad that other videos are surfacing of people leaving their homes to go see it. That tornado looked pretty harmless in their video and you can clearly see just how close it got before they decided to evacuate/take cover. However, looks are extremely deceiving especially with tornados and they could have easily been caught by it. That was a very beautiful tornado but beautiful or not, you shouldn't take that risk. Unfortunately with the proliferation of inexpensive high quality video recording devices, people are going to end up in risky situations unnecessarily, just to get the shot.

I got into a pretty heated debate one day with someone after a friend had posted a similar video of a guy who was chasing, alone, while driving and while trying to film it and navigate at the same time. He ended up making a wrong/missing his turn and ended up in the path of the EF3 tornado. He decided to drive his SUV into a low spot into a field in hopes that would help. He still got hit. Luckily it was only by the far outer circulation and he survived. Now, this guy says he has 25 years years worth of training, NWS certifications and such but even the best (it is not known how 'good' this guy was/is) end up in sticky situations yet he still violated many cardinal sins of chasing and he is supposed to be one who should know better. He admittedly said he was far too close but said it was his choice and he isn't complaining or seeking fame over it or anything. However, I hope none of you should ever put yourself in that situation though. Period. It's not worth the risk.

Last note:

And for tschu or any that may be curious. There are a number of theories why storms "miss" metro areas. Everything from urban heat islands to government control (LOL). Some of the big factors are primarily what helps them develop. In a vacuum perfect conditions are things like good moisture content, good lift, strong temperature gradients and wind flow and frictionless terrain. Cities for instance are like rough sandpaper on skin for storms compared to the relatively smooth open fields. Friction 1, storm development 0. Or as suggested, terrain can physically disrupt the storm and move it like a river trying to flow around a mountain or through a canyon. Also, Unfavorable conditions near the cell can erode it and like an amoeba it can develop towards the more favorable conditions. Or storms can exist so long and be so strong that they form two updrafts, split and one makes a left turn while the other makes a hard right turn, or "right mover", and be a beast of a cell.

• Fire 1