Spring Practice Updates

I would love to see someone catch the damn ball on a punt and attack. Tired of this fair (hope they) catch game.

From the sounds of it, Turner is going to be our return man. In a way, I really like that, but another part of me doesn't think its a good idea. If he does, in fact, become our PR/KR guy, he runs forward, and no more running 10 yards back to find a hole. Great guy, player and very athletic, but stuff like that can be a game changer if he gets stuffed. He is pretty much sure hands too, which I like.

I would love to see someone catch the damn ball on a punt and attack. Tired of this fair (hope they) catch game.

From the sounds of it, Turner is going to be our return man. In a way, I really like that, but another part of me doesn't think its a good idea. If he does, in fact, become our PR/KR guy, he runs forward, and no more running 10 yards back to find a hole. Great guy, player and very athletic, but stuff like that can be a game changer if he gets stuffed. He is pretty much sure hands too, which I like.

Flashes of Niles Paul in my head...

I think Turner is the guy, but I think Newby is probably going to be the most talented player we've seen in a while. It appears he may be faster than Taylor with more wiggle...so, thats saying something.

They say that Wullenwaber is the fastest guy on the team, without pads. I am not sure if its the same case with pads though. This was said by Bell and Martinez last year's fall camp. If Newby is that fast... watch out lol.

Thank goodness Turner has much better hands than him, otherwise we would be reliving a nightmare! :D

Lol its not the fact that its difficult to learn, its the lack of talent that he has had since '09, on the defensive line. When your a first time HC, at NEBRASKA, you have to SHOW that your capable of winning games, to help your recruiting situation. Saban and Miles are putting kids to the NFL early, because of their capability to recruit. They both have a long resume of accomplishments, as they have been coaching for YEARS. Giving why they can recruit at a higher level. Like I said, Bo has to fight for kids to come here. Mostly because its Nebraska, and we have not accomplished anything in 15 years. We are closer now, than we have been since '97. That is why our recruiting has gotten better.

I'm confused - does this only apply to defensive recruiting then?

Lol its not the fact that its difficult to learn, its the lack of talent that he has had since '09, on the defensive line. When your a first time HC, at NEBRASKA, you have to SHOW that your capable of winning games, to help your recruiting situation. Saban and Miles are putting kids to the NFL early, because of their capability to recruit. They both have a long resume of accomplishments, as they have been coaching for YEARS. Giving why they can recruit at a higher level. Like I said, Bo has to fight for kids to come here. Mostly because its Nebraska, and we have not accomplished anything in 15 years. We are closer now, than we have been since '97. That is why our recruiting has gotten better.

I'm confused - does this only apply to defensive recruiting then?

Obviously....just trying to find excuses

I think Turner is the guy, but I think Newby is probably going to be the most talented player we've seen in a while. It appears he may be faster than Taylor with more wiggle...so, thats saying something.

They say that Wullenwaber is the fastest guy on the team, without pads. I am not sure if its the same case with pads though. This was said by Bell and Martinez last year's fall camp. If Newby is that fast... watch out lol.

Thank goodness Turner has much better hands than him, otherwise we would be reliving a nightmare! :D

Honestly, I'd have to see how he picks up on our protection and offensive playbook, but it wouldn't of surprised me to see Newby as the starter if he came during spring. He is really, really good. Still astounded he wasn't a 5*.

Honestly, I'd have to see how he picks up on our protection and offensive playbook, but it wouldn't of surprised me to see Newby as the starter if he came during spring. He is really, really good. Still astounded he wasn't a 5*.

You really think he is that good? Ameer is a solid B1G back not to mention Taylor who is physically ready for college ball already coming in.

I think Newby is that good. You are not the #2 RB in California if you aren't. I am still a little nervous about Taylor and the knee injury. Until he gets to campus and gets with our trainers, and they give him the all clear, I would rather redshirt him

If his knee needs it then I agree. If it doesn't need more rehab I expect both of them to play

I think Newby is that good. You are not the #2 RB in California if you aren't. I am still a little nervous about Taylor and the knee injury. Until he gets to campus and gets with our trainers, and they give him the all clear, I would rather redshirt him

I strongly believe Taylor will be RS'ed, unless we run into a depth issue, ie Abdullah getting a season ending injury. Newby will get a few snaps, while Cross gets his fair share with Abdullah being the starter. You will see more of Newby and a tad bit of Frazier if we have the game in the bag early on. It would be pointless to waste a year of eligibility of Taylor, if he isn't going to see the ball, but for 20 carries all season. RS him, play Newby. That will be how it goes, unless Taylor beats out Newby, then it will be opposite.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't think Ameer is elite in any aspect of the game honestly. He runs very well for his size and is strong, but I don't think he has elite shiftiness, power or speed. He is an average blocker and an above average runner, with good but not elite vision. In this offense, that's all you really need - but it is also fairly easy to replace. Simply put, Ameer is a better than average running back but not anything overly special.

Newby has elite speed and elite vision. Now, I didn't "expect" Newby to be starter, because I don't know how he would run between the tackles and if he could hold up over the course of the season - but it wouldn't of surprised me if he somehow won the starting job. Like I said, I have no clue how he wasn't a 5*.

Regarding Taylor, yes he is physically ready, and I'm pretty sure he'll be very good - but I think they will probably redshirt one of them and my best guess would be him, seeing as how Newby could be used in a variety of roles (wing back, PR/KR, speed back) and AT is primarily in the mold of Imani Cross this season. Not to say he isn't better than Imani, but I think they want to preserve depth for the future.

I believe that once AT and Newby learn the playbook and schemes, they both will pass Ameer on the depth chart, barring injury. Especially if they can manage to not fumble...

Like I said, this isn't a popular opinion - but Ameer isn't all-american caliber or much more than an above average RB - Newby and AT have that kind of potential and more. Do I know if they will fulfill it? No, but I do know what kind of men we recruit, and I do know they both are willing to work very hard to achieve what they need to achieve. I truly think Ameer is lucky he is a junior or else he would probably have to transfer (and I think he'll still probably start as a senior, but I'm not willing to say he'll get the most carries, that is if he doesn't feel that he needs to try and go pro).

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't think Ameer is elite in any aspect of the game honestly. He runs very well for his size and is strong, but I don't think he has elite shiftiness, power or speed.

He's also only a true junior, with only 1 real full year of experience under his belt. Not that I'm disgreeing with your assessment at this point, for it is fairly right on, but, the jury is still WAY out on Ameer. As it is with Taylor Martinez frankly.