Spring Practice Updates

Interesting read from Brion Carnes' profile on Facebook:

Having some deep thoughts toward my future I guess you can't really trust certain people that say that say they wanna see you achieve yours goals and dreams it's all good doe #PartOfLife #TimetomakeAchange

I hope that's not about football...

There's so much talent at the WR position, he's behind a lot of guys to begin with

Was just about to post about him returning the ball on KO and punt. Would love to see him have some success. Hope this isn't about football. If it is, I am sure it will bring out a lot of questions for sure...........

Having some deep thoughts toward my future I guess you can't really trust certain people that say that say they wanna see you achieve yours goals and dreams it's all good doe #PartOfLife #TimetomakeAchange

There's so much talent at the WR position, he's behind a lot of guys to begin with

Was just about to post about him returning the ball on KO and punt. Would love to see him have some success. Hope this isn't about football. If it is, I am sure it will bring out a lot of questions for sure...........

Meh...

Strikes again

Miss-Cleo.jpg

Didn't we have all this potential last season? What happened? We have gotten spanked worse and worse with each season.

You just nitpick you so can talk about how awesome we are and have all this potential that no one else sees but you

Defensively, we lacked a HUGE amount of talent. Anyone that couldn't see that before the season started was blind. Going into the year, some knew we lacked talent on the DL, LB crew, and the Safety position. I am surprised we had the record we did last year and if it wasn't for Taylor, we would have had that record I thought we were going to have.

And not suprising it was Bo's first team without Callahan's recruits. That is all on Bo and his lack of taking recruiting seriously.

Turner seems like an ideal kick/punt returner. He's shown that natural ability to create on his own since he was a true freshman. I always thought he shouldve been doing it since day on, since they burned his shirt and all.

I totally agree, IDK why he isn't our primary returner.

I don't know about that. A lot of people outside of Husker nation were picking us to win conference titles in '10 and '11. It's hard to call "experts" and people outside the program delusional Husker fans. Maybe the teams just underachieved.

It's kind of difficult to understand what you're getting at. In one post you claim Pelini has proven he can put a team together that has the potential to go "a long way", then in another you claim people who expect a conference title (yes, just a conference title, not a national title) are completely delusional. Which is it? How can we claim to have the potential to go a long way if we can't even win a conference championship? You have to crawl before you walk.

This is the first time Bo has put together a coaching staff he likes? Interesting theory.

I think Wisconsin was more talented than us overall, but not enough to completely beat us down like that. Most of it had to do with the players being ill-prepared. A common trend with Bo Pelini-coached football teams. No matter the talent level, or the experience level, it's been more or less the same result for 5 years. Those excuses are running thin.

'10 we were favored because the defense wasn't expected to take such a drop like we did. We had that game in the bag, but we folded, horribly. '11, I am not sure how we were a favorite, especially with the schedule they gave us.

Bo has proven that he can run a solid team. National Championship worthy? Not yet because the talent wasn't there, except defensively in '09. '10, he showed he can get his team to the Big 12 Championship with a below average team, who led the nation in turnovers. '11, same thing, and had Crick not had that concussion, then go out with the tricep injury, we could have been looking at a better year. '12, piss poor defense, with a turnover happy offense, who held us together. TALENT wise, and with the coaches we have, we NOW have the potential to go a long way. I never stated that we have had that potential. Bo has gotten us further than I have expected with the talent we have had. Now that we have the talent, its a whole different ball game. Do I expect a National Title this year? No way. Do I expect us to get to the CCG? Yes I do. Win it? Depends on how good tOSU looks throughout the year, but if they are anything like last year, yes I do expect to win it. Win the Rose Bowl, if we win, depends on who we are playing, but winning the CCG is a victory on its own.

How is my coaching staff theory interesting? Care to explain? We have a Secondary coach, who loves our program and is a SOLID recruiter. Same goes for Els. Garrison at OL is great, as he is a good coach and great recruiter. Fisher, Brown and Beck all speak for themselves. Kaz, his resume speaks for itself at Iowa as well. They ran a top 10 rushing defense in the nation since he was there. He is gone one year, and look... We have coaches who want to be here and want to coach. The only questioning positions that I am not sold on is, Pap at DC, and Cotton at TE's coach. With Pap given more control over the defensive calls, this will be his year to shine.

With Pap being given more freedom with defensive calls? We have supposedly one of the best defensive minds in the game leading our team and we are giving more control to a guy that's resume is NU and nothing else only during Bo's tenure.

Els being listed as a solid coach and recruiter is also completely opinion as he has shown nothing in either. Not to mention he openly said they did a bad job recruiting in season. Our special teams have been a joke under his watch as well.

That is why Frank was fired and Bo did not learn from it and is heading down the same path if he does not take recruiting more seriously.

Didn't we have all this potential last season? What happened? We have gotten spanked worse and worse with each season.

You just nitpick you so can talk about how awesome we are and have all this potential that no one else sees but you

Defensively, we lacked a HUGE amount of talent. Anyone that couldn't see that before the season started was blind. Going into the year, some knew we lacked talent on the DL, LB crew, and the Safety position. I am surprised we had the record we did last year and if it wasn't for Taylor, we would have had that record I thought we were going to have.

And not suprising it was Bo's first team without Callahan's recruits. That is all on Bo and his lack of taking recruiting seriously.

Honestly, with no big name assistants, first time HC, and him being at Nebraska, you didn't expect him to pull in a great class the first two years did you? His first to classes have played better than I had imagined. It will get better, as his recruiting has gotten much better. There was honestly not much he could have done to improve recruiting, besides bringing in big name assistants. Then again, what big name assistants would want to come work under a new HC? He has a solid staff, that doesn't look like they are using NU as a stepping stone. Up is the direction we are going.

Honestly, with no big name assistants, first time HC, and him being at Nebraska, you didn't expect him to pull in a great class the first two years did you? His first to classes have played better than I had imagined. It will get better, as his recruiting has gotten much better. There was honestly not much he could have done to improve recruiting, besides bringing in big name assistants. Then again, what big name assistants would want to come work under a new HC? He has a solid staff, that doesn't look like they are using NU as a stepping stone. Up is the direction we are going.

While I don't disagree with you that we are improving in recruiting....dude, what are you talking about? #confused

While I don't disagree with you that we are improving in recruiting....dude, what are you talking about? #confused

What don't you understand? What big name assistants would have came and worked under Bo, being a new HC? Big name assistants would have been the only thing that could have improved our recruiting classes, his first two years. He now has a solid staff, who isn't looking to go anywhere, besides maybe Beck, for a HC gig. With the lack of talent we had in Bo's first two recruiting classes, as a whole, we performed much better than I would have imagined we did. Hell we still had a 10 win season last year, 4 more than I thought we would have won, due to the lack of talent on D.

We still don't have big name assistants, besides maybe Joseph and Kaz, but due to the style and the way we play, our recruiting has gotten much better.

It's a pretty simple concept. He was hired late in the recruiting process. He scrambled to put together that first class as a new head coach. Unless you are a huge name coach, or a school that is smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hot bed, that type of class is what you are going to get. Like he said, I am pleasantly surprised at how that class actually played. His second class was a slight improvement. Since then though, he has had very solid classes. Problem is, when a coaching change happens and you have 1-2 classes that aren't up to par recruiting wise, those need to wash through the system. That is what we have seen the last two years.

This isn't the NFL where we can just go sign a big number of free agents every year. In college, you need to let various classes work through the program and keep improving. Bo has done that and we should see the results on the field in the coming years.

• Fire 1

What don't you understand? What big name assistants would have came and worked under Bo, being a new HC? Big name assistants would have been the only thing that could have improved our recruiting classes, his first two years. He now has a solid staff, who isn't looking to go anywhere, besides maybe Beck, for a HC gig. With the lack of talent we had in Bo's first two recruiting classes, as a whole, we performed much better than I would have imagined we did. Hell we still had a 10 win season last year, 4 more than I thought we would have won, due to the lack of talent on D.

We still don't have big name assistants, besides maybe Joseph and Kaz, but due to the style and the way we play, our recruiting has gotten much better.

I didn't understand why you brought up assistant coaches. A lot more goes into recruiting than just having good assistant coaches, so I was a tad puzzled by your emphasis on that.

I didn't understand why you brought up assistant coaches. A lot more goes into recruiting than just having good assistant coaches, so I was a tad puzzled by your emphasis on that.

There's no guarantee that if he brought in "Big Name" assistants that the recruiting would have been better. The way I see it, he hired some good assistants with years of experience behind them like Cotton, Brown and Sanders and then mixed in some youth he knew would get after it like Pap, Eckler, Kaz, and TJ. I think he did fine.

With all do respect, do you actually realize how important assistant coaches are? Your assistant coaches are just as important as your Head Coach when it comes to recruiting. Assistant Coaches are the ones reaching out to kids the most and keeping contact with them. When you have a big name assistant reaching out to you, your going to want to listen to that person and be more interested in being coached by them, than some coach you have never heard of and that has no previous experience.

If Kirby Smart was to call you, and say hypothetically he was NU's DC, or Carl Pelini (take it back when Bo first got here), who would you be more interested in being coached by? Kirby Smart, who has a record of having a top tier defense in the nation for a number of years, or Carl, someone who has no experience in D1 as a DC?

If we would have had Mike Stoops as our DC when Bo got here, I am almost positive we would have had much better recruiting classes, defensively.

Assistant coaches are the ones that actually do the recruiting, so I would say they are what makes it or breaks it a majority of the time.