Spring Practice Updates

Bo's been saying since he got here he's here to win championships. 6 years later. . . ?? I'm not truly unhappy. I think we're a long way from having the potential to go a long way. Bo's a long way from fielding the kind of team that plays championship caliber football. It's not necessarily all on the talent level either, I don't think, it's the consistent inconsistency. We're a mistake-prone football team.

Every coach is in their position to win championships. But in reality, if anyone expected one by now, is completely delusional. You have to build a sound program before you can take that next step. Bo finally has his coaching staff he likes, and that is the first step. Recruiting is the second step, and it starts to flow from there. The inconsistency come from the lack of talent, and immaturity of the players. That mostly steers from converting players (because of the lack of talent/recruiting), and players being young. Bo did all he could in the WI game, and players were in position to make stops. Thats where the lack of talent steps in. Coaches can put you in position, but its up the player to make the play.

I don't know about that. A lot of people outside of Husker nation were picking us to win conference titles in '10 and '11. It's hard to call "experts" and people outside the program delusional Husker fans. Maybe the teams just underachieved.

It's kind of difficult to understand what you're getting at. In one post you claim Pelini has proven he can put a team together that has the potential to go "a long way", then in another you claim people who expect a conference title (yes, just a conference title, not a national title) are completely delusional. Which is it? How can we claim to have the potential to go a long way if we can't even win a conference championship? You have to crawl before you walk.

This is the first time Bo has put together a coaching staff he likes? Interesting theory.

I think Wisconsin was more talented than us overall, but not enough to completely beat us down like that. Most of it had to do with the players being ill-prepared. A common trend with Bo Pelini-coached football teams. No matter the talent level, or the experience level, it's been more or less the same result for 5 years. Those excuses are running thin.

Funny that you brought this up right after we were just voted most delusional fans by ESPN.

With Pap being given more freedom with defensive calls? We have supposedly one of the best defensive minds in the game leading our team and we are giving more control to a guy that's resume is NU and nothing else only during Bo's tenure.

Els being listed as a solid coach and recruiter is also completely opinion as he has shown nothing in either. Not to mention he openly said they did a bad job recruiting in season. Our special teams have been a joke under his watch as well.

My Els comment just being an opinion? Jared Afalava, Zaire Anderson, Thomas Brown, Michael Rose, Josh Banderas, Marcus Newby and Courteny Love all say hi, and they obviously were a 2nd choice to Nebraska. Els shouldn't be coaching special teams, as I firmly believe he has enough responsibilities with being head recruiter and LB coach. Thanks to every coach doing extra work, our special teams should be much better than last year.

What does listing a bunch of LBs that have never played have to do with his coaching ability or recruiting ability?

• Fire 5

We are simply that one "big step forward win" from the recruiting floodgates opening and the sh#t to start snowballing downhill for this program. We coulda had it in 2009 in the Big 12 championship. We coulda had it again against Texas in 2010, and again the Big 12 championship in 2010 in what wouldve been the ultimate middle finger to Beebe and Texas, but again, crapped the pants. Personally, I still think this program overall is still trying to recover from that Texas-2010 epic failure. All the hype, all the buildup, and then an egg. The program had all the momentum in the world going into that game and it took the wind out of the sales. I honestly cant say that we as a program and/or fanbase have recovered any of that momentum whatsoever.

We are simply that one "big step forward win" from the recruiting floodgates opening and the sh#t to start snowballing downhill for this program. We coulda had it in 2009 in the Big 12 championship. We coulda had it again against Texas in 2010, and again the Big 12 championship in 2010 in what wouldve been the ultimate middle finger to Beebe and Texas, but again, crapped the pants. Personally, I still think this program overall is still trying to recover from that Texas-2010 epic failure. All the hype, all the buildup, and then an egg. The program had all the momentum in the world going into that game and it took the wind out of the sales. I honestly cant say that we as a program and/or fanbase have recovered any of that momentum whatsoever.

Stop attacking our program you goon! :sarcasm

With Pap being given more freedom with defensive calls? We have supposedly one of the best defensive minds in the game leading our team and we are giving more control to a guy that's resume is NU and nothing else only during Bo's tenure.

Els being listed as a solid coach and recruiter is also completely opinion as he has shown nothing in either. Not to mention he openly said they did a bad job recruiting in season. Our special teams have been a joke under his watch as well.

My Els comment just being an opinion? Jared Afalava, Zaire Anderson, Thomas Brown, Michael Rose, Josh Banderas, Marcus Newby and Courteny Love all say hi, and they obviously were a 2nd choice to Nebraska. Els shouldn't be coaching special teams, as I firmly believe he has enough responsibilities with being head recruiter and LB coach. Thanks to every coach doing extra work, our special teams should be much better than last year.

What does listing a bunch of LBs that have never played have to do with his coaching ability or recruiting ability?

From the recruiting side, he has done what I would say a very good job of handling that responsibility. If a head coach gets credit for winning and blamed for losing, then we need to give credit where credit is due. No, these kids haven't played but if they were signed anywhere else, that teams RC would be given credit. He's done a good job.

From the recruiting side, he has done what I would say a very good job of handling that responsibility. If a head coach gets credit for winning and blamed for losing, then we need to give credit where credit is due. No, these kids haven't played but if they were signed anywhere else, that teams RC would be given credit. He's done a good job.

He isn't a terrible RC. He is very organized and detail oriented. Doesn't make him a good recruiter though.

Very funny. I'm not getting involved in that. But I wanna make it clear that my sunshine pump is starting to run a little low on petrol. I'll have perspective though. I'm not gonna draw a line in the sand and say big 10 title or bust. Or BCS or bust, and so one. We could lose 4 games again, but I'm going to be more interested in how the games are lost as opposed to losing them. 3+ losses are unacceptable? Yes, they are. Always have and always will be for this program. Nothing wrong with that. But lets take this year with much perspective and realize that what may end up being a very talented defense is going to be young this year. Excuse? no. Reason? yes. It will probably cost us a game or two, and maybe even a trip to Indy as well. But we somehow have to look at the long term picture based on what we see.

I could also be way off base and these youngsters wind up being absolute ballers and we find ourselves in Indy with a shot at the big game @ 12-0.

Very funny. I'm not getting involved in that. But I wanna make it clear that my sunshine pump is starting to run a little low on petrol. I'll have perspective though. I'm not gonna draw a line in the sand and say big 10 title or bust. Or BCS or bust, and so one. We could lose 4 games again, but I'm going to be more interested in how the games are lost as opposed to losing them. 3+ losses are unacceptable? Yes, they are. Always have and always will be for this program. Nothing wrong with that. But lets take this year with much perspective and realize that what may end up being a very talented defense is going to be young this year. Excuse? no. Reason? yes. It will probably cost us a game or two, and maybe even a trip to Indy as well. But we somehow have to look at the long term picture based on what we see.

I could also be way off base and these youngsters wind up being absolute ballers and we find ourselves in Indy with a shot at the big game @ 12-0.

You have to consider that the SEC powers play their young guys ALL THE TIME and that those guys ball out more than anyone. If it can happen there, it can happen here.

I think that the guys are as talented as we're hearing, losing all of those starters may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

So anyways, I still agree that there are not more excuses, however, I am pretty confident at this point in spring ball. D still needs work, but maybe the offense will be "that" good.

There is more reason to why it was said like that. Hedley's always bashing and being negative on EVERY thread he posts in. I will apologize to all the board members for my STFU comment. It just gets very old when someone comes into the threads, sh#t on the positive, and takes it to an attack on Bo. This is nothing new.

If our defense can be at least average, and our offense can limit the turnovers, we will be set to a good year. With our talent, that I believe that can take us to the next level, we will have an enjoyable road down the stretch. Especially if recruiting keeps going uphill the way it has been. Bo is figuring things out, and for one not to expect us to be rocky for a while, isn't being true to the situation. Bo is learning, and is still learning. Same with all the assistants under him. Mistakes are going to happen, but the real question is, do we have the talent to bounce back from them? I believe we do.

Whether Headley is negative all the time or not is irrelevant, really. I am glad he posts these opinions because it gives us something to discuss. If we all had the same opinion on every topic in this board, it would be the worst place to discuss this stuff. The easiest way to not get into these pissing contests is to not respond if you know it's not going to go anywhere. If you make your point and there is nothing left to say, just leave it and another thread will take it's place. There is no reason to get worked up over this stuff. It's DIVISION 1 FOOTBAL!! It's not that important in the grand scope.

• Fire 1

He isn't a terrible RC. He is very organized and detail oriented. Doesn't make him a good recruiter though.

I suppose you're correct. I don't know much about his ability to close. But the last couple of years does show he knows who to go after and which coach to send. That was the direction of my comment, I guess.

You have to consider that the SEC powers play their young guys ALL THE TIME and that those guys ball out more than anyone. If it can happen there, it can happen here.

I think that the guys are as talented as we're hearing, losing all of those starters may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

I have said it many times, that we lost a lot of starters last year on defense, but its in a good way. Not an attack at them, but we were not playing our most talented players last year. We took the safe route, and played players that understood the defense more, even if they were less talented than the guy behind them. Santos being a prime example.

Journal Star Article

Great read about Special Teams, and how its a main focus of ours. If we had a decent special teams next year, you could see a different ball game as well.

An upbeat Bo Pelini met the media Saturday after the biggest scrimmage of the spring, one that lasted “well over 100 plays.”

Nebraska’s head coach said “progress is happening” and spoke with approval of how his team — particularly his young defense — has taken encouraging steps in recent days.

“I don't think we had a day this week where we took a step back on either side,” he said.

But Pelini was probably most passionate when the topic turns to special teams.

Take away Brett Maher’s solid field-goal kicking, and special teams were a part of the game where the Huskers were mediocre, and sometimes downright bad, in 2012.

Consider these national rankings: 46th in kick-return coverage and 109th in punt-return coverage, 50th at returning punts and 63rd at returning kicks, and 86th in net punting.

Even catching punts proved problematic. The Northwestern game was the lowlight, when the Huskers twice fumbled punts in one half.

“I don’t believe we played up to our capabilities in the special-teams area last year,” Pelini said Saturday. “Our guys know that, hey, it’s a competition. If you want to be out there, show us.”

Part of Saturday’s scrimmage included live kickoffs, with different players trying their hand at returns.

“You’re going to see starters out there on special teams this year,” Pelini said. “We’re going to have the best 11. Period.”

Among those trying to prove themselves was sophomore kicker Mauro Bondi. Despite the wind, Bondi had a very good day, Pelini said.

Although his team is young in some areas, Pelini believes it’s also deeper in spots.

He thinks that will help special-teams play.

“We had a lot of guys last year — seniors, and some of them were walk-ons and such — who were mainstays on special teams for us,” Pelini said. “We need guys to fill those roles. Yeah, you’d like to play as many guys as you can. But if we have to play the same 22 on offense and defense and special teams, that’s what we’re going to do.”