Spring Practice Updates

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't think Ameer is elite in any aspect of the game honestly. He runs very well for his size and is strong, but I don't think he has elite shiftiness, power or speed. He is an average blocker and an above average runner, with good but not elite vision. In this offense, that's all you really need - but it is also fairly easy to replace. Simply put, Ameer is a better than average running back but not anything overly special.

Newby has elite speed and elite vision. Now, I didn't "expect" Newby to be starter, because I don't know how he would run between the tackles and if he could hold up over the course of the season - but it wouldn't of surprised me if he somehow won the starting job. Like I said, I have no clue how he wasn't a 5*.

Regarding Taylor, yes he is physically ready, and I'm pretty sure he'll be very good - but I think they will probably redshirt one of them and my best guess would be him, seeing as how Newby could be used in a variety of roles (wing back, PR/KR, speed back) and AT is primarily in the mold of Imani Cross this season. Not to say he isn't better than Imani, but I think they want to preserve depth for the future.

I believe that once AT and Newby learn the playbook and schemes, they both will pass Ameer on the depth chart, barring injury. Especially if they can manage to not fumble...

Like I said, this isn't a popular opinion - but Ameer isn't all-american caliber or much more than an above average RB - Newby and AT have that kind of potential and more. Do I know if they will fulfill it? No, but I do know what kind of men we recruit, and I do know they both are willing to work very hard to achieve what they need to achieve. I truly think Ameer is lucky he is a junior or else he would probably have to transfer (and I think he'll still probably start as a senior, but I'm not willing to say he'll get the most carries, that is if he doesn't feel that he needs to try and go pro).

Ameer has the same, or better, Heisman odds as TJ Yeldon and Lache Seastrunk. I'd call him elite, but I respect your opinion.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't think Ameer is elite in any aspect of the game honestly. He runs very well for his size and is strong, but I don't think he has elite shiftiness, power or speed.

He's also only a true junior, with only 1 real full year of experience under his belt. Not that I'm disgreeing with your assessment at this point, for it is fairly right on, but, the jury is still WAY out on Ameer. As it is with Taylor Martinez frankly.

Depends on your definition of elite. I expect him to be a top ten back nationally thid year. Is there a better back in the B1G?

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't think Ameer is elite in any aspect of the game honestly. He runs very well for his size and is strong, but I don't think he has elite shiftiness, power or speed.

He's also only a true junior, with only 1 real full year of experience under his belt. Not that I'm disgreeing with your assessment at this point, for it is fairly right on, but, the jury is still WAY out on Ameer. As it is with Taylor Martinez frankly.

I don't believe that you suddenly develop an elite level talent over the course of your final 2 years in college. That's the only reason I pay as much attention to recruiting as I do, as well as being fortunate enough to have some insight into what the coaches see in some potential recruits. High school shows who has elite attributes - speed, vision, quickness, strength, etc.

If you don't have an elite attribute after your redshirt or first season, with the benefit of top notch facilities and scout team or live reps, I don't think you'll ever get them. There are very few exceptions that I have found.

Newby had elite speed and vision in HS (against other top players), something we haven't been able to say in a long, long time.

I think it also depends on how you define elite - I think Ameer is above average all over the place, but I don't think he has the natural athleticism to become "elite" in any aspect at this point. He can still grow as a player, but that won't make him faster or make him see things like other players do. High school shows us general brackets of elite or not, and if you're not elite after the first year of college, then it is very rare for you to develop an elite attribute after that.

Depends on your definition of elite. I expect him to be a top ten back nationally thid year. Is there a better back in the B1G?

What good is that? Big 10 sucks. Or so I'm told. :P

Not with Bell leaving early. Its pretty wide open for Ameer to be that guy.

I am still interested in how the Ameer/Cross battle is going to go this fall. I think Cross is the better RB out of the group we have, but Ameer is faster with his cuts, unless Cross has really became that much better. We will see Spring Game on how much faster Cross is, and if he is elusive as they say with him cutting weight.

We got Hoops!

What good is that? Big 10 sucks. Or so I'm told. :P

I don't believe that you suddenly develop an elite level talent over the course of your final 2 years in college. That's the only reason I pay as much attention to recruiting as I do, as well as being fortunate enough to have some insight into what the coaches see in some potential recruits. High school shows who has elite attributes - speed, vision, quickness, strength, etc.

If you don't have an elite attribute after your redshirt or first season, with the benefit of top notch facilities and scout team or live reps, I don't think you'll ever get them. There are very few exceptions that I have found.

Newby had elite speed and vision in HS (against other top players), something we haven't been able to say in a long, long time.

I think it also depends on how you define elite - I think Ameer is above average all over the place, but I don't think he has the natural athleticism to become "elite" in any aspect at this point. He can still grow as a player, but that won't make him faster or make him see things like other players do. High school shows us general brackets of elite or not, and if you're not elite after the first year of college, then it is very rare for you to develop an elite attribute after that.

Like I said. The jury's still out. It's not exactly an impossibility.

Remember this. This is one thing that always has been and always will be fact about football. The success of a qb/rb is more dependent on the success of the Oline than his own skill.

These two should/better have a better oline in front of them this year.

I would love to see someone catch the damn ball on a punt and attack. Tired of this fair (hope they) catch game.

I'd love to see Terrell Newby back there.

x2, or even Drake Martinez's.

I'd bet a lot of money we don't see them in the spring game.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't think Ameer is elite in any aspect of the game honestly. He runs very well for his size and is strong, but I don't think he has elite shiftiness, power or speed. He is an average blocker and an above average runner, with good but not elite vision. In this offense, that's all you really need - but it is also fairly easy to replace. Simply put, Ameer is a better than average running back but not anything overly special.

I'll disagree here. While he didn't get into the open field much last year, we've already seen how fast he is returning punts and kicks. Ameer is faster than most backs. He's tough and finds yards between the tackles. I'd bet he's All-B1G this season.

And based on the last few years, I bet we see very little of either of the true frosh (unless there's an injury of course).

Newby has elite speed and elite vision. Now, I didn't "expect" Newby to be starter, because I don't know how he would run between the tackles and if he could hold up over the course of the season - but it wouldn't of surprised me if he somehow won the starting job. Like I said, I have no clue how he wasn't a 5*.

Regarding Taylor, yes he is physically ready, and I'm pretty sure he'll be very good - but I think they will probably redshirt one of them and my best guess would be him, seeing as how Newby could be used in a variety of roles (wing back, PR/KR, speed back) and AT is primarily in the mold of Imani Cross this season. Not to say he isn't better than Imani, but I think they want to preserve depth for the future.

I believe that once AT and Newby learn the playbook and schemes, they both will pass Ameer on the depth chart, barring injury. Especially if they can manage to not fumble...

Like I said, this isn't a popular opinion - but Ameer isn't all-american caliber or much more than an above average RB - Newby and AT have that kind of potential and more. Do I know if they will fulfill it? No, but I do know what kind of men we recruit, and I do know they both are willing to work very hard to achieve what they need to achieve. I truly think Ameer is lucky he is a junior or else he would probably have to transfer (and I think he'll still probably start as a senior, but I'm not willing to say he'll get the most carries, that is if he doesn't feel that he needs to try and go pro).

Ameer has the same, or better, Heisman odds as TJ Yeldon and Lache Seastrunk. I'd call him elite, but I respect your opinion.

Elite = All american, freak of nature. I'd say DeAnthony Thomas has elite speed and vision. Kniles Davis has elite speed (considering his size). I don't remember the service that does it, but they do the ratings based on like average, above average, starter, blue chip and like heisman quality or something to that effect. I'd say that "heisman/blue chip" is elite - it pretty much makes a 5* player a 5*. They have some natural ability that just sets them apart.

'10 we were favored because the defense wasn't expected to take such a drop like we did. We had that game in the bag, but we folded, horribly. '11, I am not sure how we were a favorite, especially with the schedule they gave us.

Bo has proven that he can run a solid team. National Championship worthy? Not yet because the talent wasn't there, except defensively in '09. '10, he showed he can get his team to the Big 12 Championship with a below average team, who led the nation in turnovers. '11, same thing, and had Crick not had that concussion, then go out with the tricep injury, we could have been looking at a better year. '12, piss poor defense, with a turnover happy offense, who held us together. TALENT wise, and with the coaches we have, we NOW have the potential to go a long way. I never stated that we have had that potential. Bo has gotten us further than I have expected with the talent we have had. Now that we have the talent, its a whole different ball game. Do I expect a National Title this year? No way. Do I expect us to get to the CCG? Yes I do. Win it? Depends on how good tOSU looks throughout the year, but if they are anything like last year, yes I do expect to win it. Win the Rose Bowl, if we win, depends on who we are playing, but winning the CCG is a victory on its own.

How is my coaching staff theory interesting? Care to explain? We have a Secondary coach, who loves our program and is a SOLID recruiter. Same goes for Els. Garrison at OL is great, as he is a good coach and great recruiter. Fisher, Brown and Beck all speak for themselves. Kaz, his resume speaks for itself at Iowa as well. They ran a top 10 rushing defense in the nation since he was there. He is gone one year, and look... We have coaches who want to be here and want to coach. The only questioning positions that I am not sold on is, Pap at DC, and Cotton at TE's coach. With Pap given more control over the defensive calls, this will be his year to shine.

The point is, we were favored, so it wasn't "completely delusional" to think we might win a conference championship. And I don't believe we're soo much closer now than we were a few years back. If anything, we've regressed. 13-12 against the second best team in the nation is a hell of a lot closer than 70-31 against the third best team in the Leaders Division.

Your coaching staff theory is interesting because I didn't realize Bo wasn't happy with his staff until now. In fact it's the first time I've even heard that theory. What is it based on?

I would love to see someone catch the damn ball on a punt and attack. Tired of this fair (hope they) catch game.

I'd love to see Terrell Newby back there.

x2, or even Drake Martinez's.

I'd bet a lot of money we don't see them in the spring game.

I'll disagree here. While he didn't get into the open field much last year, we've already seen how fast he is returning punts and kicks. Ameer is faster than most backs. He's tough and finds yards between the tackles. I'd bet he's All-B1G this season.

And based on the last few years, I bet we see very little of either of the true frosh (unless there's an injury of course).

And I'd say that reflects on his speed and vision. There were holes to break through, but he either couldn't see them or he wasn't fast enough to get there. I think he will probably run around a 4.5 which is not ELITE, IMO. For instance, Ameer was caught from behind on one of his K/O returns that would've been for a touchdown. That would never happen to someone with elite speed, ala DeAnthony Thomas.

I'm sure someone will say the O line didn't make the holes - but they did, with how often we run the ball I guarantee you running backs missed holes or weren't fast enough to get to them.

And I agree, he is tough and a good RB. He is above average. I just think and I know coaches think Newby is an elite level player. Coaches are willing to play frosh if they believe they can trust them. They played Ameer, they started a redshirt frosh QB, who worked at other positions as well. They'll play you if they deem it necessary. Like I said, Ameer is good. I think Newby is better because he has elite attributes that not many people have. It doesn't mean I hate Ameer, or think he is bad, I just think that if Newby picks up the playbook and what not, he's better.

Your coaching staff theory is interesting because I didn't realize Bo wasn't happy with his staff until now. In fact it's the first time I've even heard that theory. What is it based on?

I never stated he was unhappy with his staff he had before. My meaning of it, was he has a producing staff now, that meshes very well together, with the same vision. I guess I fail to see where you thought I suggested he was unhappy with his previous staff. The only guy he wasn't happy with, was Watson, which he had for the first two years. We now have a secondary coach that we don't have to let go (Marvin Sanders), or be worried about an SEC team coming in and taking (Corey Raymond). We have a good DL coach. Just things are clicking and Bo has a staff that he can and will stand by.