Spring Practice Updates

I don't believe that you suddenly develop an elite level talent over the course of your final 2 years in college. That's the only reason I pay as much attention to recruiting as I do, as well as being fortunate enough to have some insight into what the coaches see in some potential recruits. High school shows who has elite attributes - speed, vision, quickness, strength, etc.

2 guys, Ameer is the first...I see his career playing out very much like the second.

42 attempts for 150 yards - 3.6 YPC

226 attempts for 1,137 yards - 5.0 YPC

45 attempts for 209 yards - 4.6 YPC

125 attempts for 803 yards - 6.4 YPC

220 attempts for 1,147 yards - 5.2 YPC

188 attempts for 1,245 yards - 6.6 YPC

I think Roy Helu developed into one hell of a ball carrier his last couple of years. The Redskins thought he was elite enough, and he proved it his rookie year. Ameer certainly seems on pace to exceed his career. I'll take it, every year for the next 40.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't think Ameer is elite in any aspect of the game honestly. He runs very well for his size and is strong, but I don't think he has elite shiftiness, power or speed. He is an average blocker and an above average runner, with good but not elite vision. In this offense, that's all you really need - but it is also fairly easy to replace. Simply put, Ameer is a better than average running back but not anything overly special.

Newby has elite speed and elite vision. Now, I didn't "expect" Newby to be starter, because I don't know how he would run between the tackles and if he could hold up over the course of the season - but it wouldn't of surprised me if he somehow won the starting job. Like I said, I have no clue how he wasn't a 5*.

Regarding Taylor, yes he is physically ready, and I'm pretty sure he'll be very good - but I think they will probably redshirt one of them and my best guess would be him, seeing as how Newby could be used in a variety of roles (wing back, PR/KR, speed back) and AT is primarily in the mold of Imani Cross this season. Not to say he isn't better than Imani, but I think they want to preserve depth for the future.

I believe that once AT and Newby learn the playbook and schemes, they both will pass Ameer on the depth chart, barring injury. Especially if they can manage to not fumble...

Like I said, this isn't a popular opinion - but Ameer isn't all-american caliber or much more than an above average RB - Newby and AT have that kind of potential and more. Do I know if they will fulfill it? No, but I do know what kind of men we recruit, and I do know they both are willing to work very hard to achieve what they need to achieve. I truly think Ameer is lucky he is a junior or else he would probably have to transfer (and I think he'll still probably start as a senior, but I'm not willing to say he'll get the most carries, that is if he doesn't feel that he needs to try and go pro).

Braylon? Is that you?

Not seeing this whole "Every other team in the nation plays freshman" argument.

If we played a bunch of freshman, it would be "why are we playing so many freshman when no one else is. Obviously there are rifts in the program and uppper classmen are not getting developed as with every other program".

Preconceived opinions.

• Fire 1

I think Newby is that good. You are not the #2 RB in California if you aren't. I am still a little nervous about Taylor and the knee injury. Until he gets to campus and gets with our trainers, and they give him the all clear, I would rather redshirt him

Wasn't that before his senior season. He ran for 44 TD's and 2700 yards last year...

I'm kind of surprised that we're even having this returner discussion considering how deadly Ameer was at it early in his career. What's happened over the course of the last half-season that all of a sudden he's no longer even in the discussion? Why the fumbles, the indecision, ect. What the heck happened?

Coaching! Oh, I thought that was the answer for all mistakes?

I think it gets in your head as a returner. Kind of like dropping a easy pop fly. Start over thinking it and not just being an athlete.

I'm kind of surprised that we're even having this returner discussion considering how deadly Ameer was at it early in his career. What's happened over the course of the last half-season that all of a sudden he's no longer even in the discussion? Why the fumbles, the indecision, ect. What the heck happened?

Not sure, but I'm wondering if him being the starter due to injury made him more timid and worried about injury.