Pretty Good Read

mwj98

what changes if any did the coaching staff make on defense to compensate for the lack of talent? i'm not an X's and O's guys so i have no idea and am just asking but watching the UCLA, OSU, second wisconsin game and parts of the georgia game some of the defenders just looked out matched by the guys on the other team was the front 7 that bad or was there something the coaching staff could have done i have a hard time believing it was just a personnel problem when plenty of teams didnt give up 70 to wisconsin or 63 to OSU

The front 7 weren't "that bad", but they weren't above average. I would even say some played below average (Rome). Last years massacre was simply because we lacked a HUGE amount of talent. We were too slow, couldn't make tackles in open space and we couldn't make the correct cuts to get a tackle. UCLA exposed us, and most teams took advantage of it. The only teams that were successful were the faster and more talented on offense than our defense. You can't magically make those guys tackle, or faster. Valentine would never have played last year, because he wasn't healthy, but I do believe Bo was thinking about burning McMullen's RS. Thankfully, its DT is not a difficult position to learn in Pelini's system, and the inexperience shouldn't cost us there. The inexperience I am worried about, is at Safety. I want to feel good that our DB's will be in position. LB crew, I feel good with them being in Santos' hands. Anderson didn't look lost either when he played last year, which is good as well.

what changes if any did the coaching staff make on defense to compensate for the lack of talent? i'm not an X's and O's guys so i have no idea and am just asking but watching the UCLA, OSU, second wisconsin game and parts of the georgia game some of the defenders just looked out matched by the guys on the other team was the front 7 that bad or was there something the coaching staff could have done i have a hard time believing it was just a personnel problem when plenty of teams didnt give up 70 to wisconsin or 63 to OSU

Given that the following teams lost within a td of Ohio St: Indiana, Michigan St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, California.

Given that the following teams lost within a td of Ohio St: Indiana, Michigan St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, California.

And were only up 6 against UAB late in the game.

If Bo wouldve pulled the redshirts of guys like McMullen, Valentine, and some of them linebackers, there wouldve been HOWLS, regardless of the outcomes. Nobody act like there wouldnt've been.

I was calling for those guys to play after watching our defensive line get pushed around by Southern Miss. I would have hooted and hollered. Not to mention, howled. Too bad Bo didn't realize his mistake until after the season was over.

The front 7 weren't "that bad", but they weren't above average. I would even say some played below average (Rome). Last years massacre was simply because we lacked a HUGE amount of talent. We were too slow, couldn't make tackles in open space and we couldn't make the correct cuts to get a tackle. UCLA exposed us, and most teams took advantage of it. The only teams that were successful were the faster and more talented on offense than our defense. You can't magically make those guys tackle, or faster. Valentine would never have played last year, because he wasn't healthy, but I do believe Bo was thinking about burning McMullen's RS. Thankfully, its DT is not a difficult position to learn in Pelini's system, and the inexperience shouldn't cost us there. The inexperience I am worried about, is at Safety. I want to feel good that our DB's will be in position. LB crew, I feel good with them being in Santos' hands. Anderson didn't look lost either when he played last year, which is good as well.

just seems like if utah state can keep it close nebraska should be able to hold wisconsin to less than 70 considering we beat them earlier i'm gonna take a guess and that some of those players out there didnt know what they were suppose to do either

just seems like if utah state can keep it close nebraska should be able to hold wisconsin to less than 70 considering we beat them earlier i'm gonna take a guess and that some of those players out there didnt know what they were suppose to do either

Our DL, while not above average, wasn't as bad as people make it appear. I'd even say that last year I was more concerned with our safeties and LBs more than our DL. I could rattle off names, but its not fair to do so. Yes the DL wasn't getting a push, but a majority of the time we were in the correct formation, play, or able to make the tackle and for whatever reason we couldn't. Lack of IQ, speed, whatever it may be...

Our awful blitz packages had more to do with our other players than the DL...

IMO, Bo has never called out a player and will not. The fixes, again IMO, have to do with personnel over scheme. When we had the horses (2009 and 2010) we looked like world beaters on D. The first 2 "poor" recruiting classes hurt on D. Bo had to play guys who "knew" the system over guys who did not. Looking at our roster, in 2011 and 2012 were the younger guys really athletically much better? Did they step up and improve our D? Obviously not. Seems a lot, myself included, are hoping that true Fresh and Red Shirt guys can step up this year.

Maybe Raymond was more correct than any of us when he said to "look at them and look at us". Bo calls a complicated scheme that takes smarts and athletic ability. We are kidding ourselves to think the past two years we were deep with talent. Look at how many walk-ons have been starting on both sides of the ball. How many DL we had on schollie, yet Cam had to move inside when Stein went down or a converted DL to center etc.......

The past 2 years, we have been so devoid of quality depth and it shows.

Bo's comments also show a man who realizes his stubbornness has possibly cost us as many games as the lack of fundamentals and fumbles. From the "should have played some guys" to the "starters on special teams" etc.... Show a coach who, again IMO, gets it and what needs to be done. Throw in basically brand new staff with little to no experience and lack of talent and depth and you get what we had the past two years (well actually 4 if you count our pathetic O in 2009 and 2010.

I'm not convinced it's fixed. A lot of that void isn't for a lack of recruiting, its for a lack of retention of those recruits (peat/rome, etc) - and moving others to the OL - Pensick. 2 offseasons ago we were talking about our young talent on the DL exactly like we are talking about this years. Those guys are no long here - we'll have to wait and see if these guys are a year or two from now when we finally need them.

Agree with you on that. Retention has proven an issue as has player development. The staff seems,IMO, to do a poor job in getting younger guys ready to play. QB is a prime example. No back up with any playing time.

I hope that Bo admitting he was wrong not playing the our younger guys last year will translate to playing more guys this year. Retention will be better if more guys get reps and actually see themselves getting meaningful snaps. ie Heard, Green, come to mind on the O side.

At least Bo has admitted some issues and will hopefully figure something out. Avoid blow out losses and I will believe it. We get curb stomped again, I am done and realize that it is the staff.

If we keep getting blown out i don't know how Bo can say he's fixing things and he knows how to play D. It would be Callahan all over again except with a higher winning percentage.

Coz was fired for less pathetic D play. We get taken to the shed again this year, Bo needs to go. Losing is part of the game, BUT losing like we did and have the past two years is unacceptable.

I think this just shows how good Utah State was (I'm a Utah State Under-Grad). Just Kidding, you are correct Wisconsin sorted out some messes as the year went on but still no reason for the defensive train wreck we had at that game.

The article was a good read and I liked most of what it had. Not a big deal but the comment "Pelini's first five seasons in Lincoln, and his 49 wins in his first five years rank 15th-best in FBS history, according to the school". Was odd because I would think and ESPN reporter would not need to toss out "according to the school" for a stat so easily checked out. Maybe a great guy but seemed like lazy effort.

• Fire 1

I don't think Bo can say something right ever.

It's not that he can't say something right, it's that he continues to say it and nothing happens. I've said it the last 2 years, stop talking, start doing. Until he "walks the walk" all he's doing is talking. Still tired of all the talk, I believe this is the make or break year for him with our easy schedule.

Our DL, while not above average, wasn't as bad as people make it appear. I'd even say that last year I was more concerned with our safeties and LBs more than our DL. I could rattle off names, but its not fair to do so. Yes the DL wasn't getting a push, but a majority of the time we were in the correct formation, play, or able to make the tackle and for whatever reason we couldn't. Lack of IQ, speed, whatever it may be...

Our awful blitz packages had more to do with our other players than the DL...

OregonHuskerMan, it starts with your D/O Line and ends with your D/O Line. Without either of these being solid, your not going to be effective on those sides of the ball. Without a solid OL, your not going to be able to run, throw or have any type of protection. We had a decently solid OL, in the rush protection factor, but horrid passing protection. Our DL lacked athleticism, size, strength, speed and attitude, with the exception of Steinkuhler. Rome was soft. Martin and Meredith were undersized, incredibly. Martin would have been a great LB in a 3/4, or a DE in the Big 12. When your DL can control the OL and get their way with them, this allows for the LB to be more flexible and shoot gaps. I believe our LBers played far above their levels, and don't get enough credit for it. Safety position, Stafford was lost and out of position most of the time he was on the field. He could give a solid tackle, but too many responsibilities for him to have. He was accountable for putting DB's in position to stop the run, while being accountable for pass protection. This is much more difficult to do, than many think. Especially when this isn't something you were trained, or went over in practice. Your secondary, should never have to be accountable for stopping the run. Their duties, other than being called on, on a blitz, is to cover their man.

As Ankrah has stated in an interview, they were never really called onto, for blitzes, as their job was mostly to contain. There were a couple blitzes that were called, but some didn't go very well. Like the huge 72yard pass in the Georgia game. This was a call from Bo, and it bit us hard. He over ride JP's call, and that's what he got for it.

You don't have a solid line, your not going to perform well. That's all I am saying. If we can have that this year, we shouldn't see any issues with having a young and inexperienced LB crew. They just need to stay quick on their feet and tackle. Do their jobs they did in HS.

If we had at least a decently solid DL, I think we would have had a much better year last year.