When was the last off season that was this lackluster among fans

Somehow this went from discussing what I thought was a general consensus that Bo needs to adjust the way he is approaching things a bit, to all of a sudden comparing TO and Bo. It's even kind of taken a Bo bashing kind of tone, which was not the intention at all.

TO and Bo there is no comparison.

Does Bo need to adapt a bit better. Hell yes he does.

Do I support him. Damn right I do, But I support Nebraska more, and I want to win games. We can only afford mediocrity for so long. It can really creep up and sting this University as a whole if it goes too far. Just fix it.

Last year was hard to watch sometimes. In year five, there's no way in hell the defense should look like that. No excuses.

That is all. Off to bed I be.

These are the comments that frustrate me. What part of the program is trending downwards? We have upgraded the staff, we have brought in better football players than the first two Pelini cycles, we switched to a conference that will prove to be better for us, we updated the stadium and weight room big time, we have an offensive scheme we can now recruit to and it's showing with the interest level of some WRs dual threat QBs and RBs, we are also going to be very athletic and full of potential on the defensive side of the ball.

Do we have unfinished business? Have we had some disappointing games? Absolutely. But I'd like to see the support behind why people say we are trending down.

• Fire 6
A balance has to exist between the talent and scheme. I think even with a simplified scheme, Nebraska wasn't going to have a stand-out defense the last couple of years. It's because Pelini and his staff aren't capable of making up for a lack of talent at this point. They could get there in time, but until then, I think talent is going to be of paramount importance.

Bill Snyder and Co. can make up for a lack of talent becaues of the experience and savvy Snyder brings to the table. We don't have that luxury, which is why I think talent is going to be fairly important until Pelini and the staff get better.

Great point. It makes you wonder what Snyder and staff focus their time in teaching compared to us as a staff. I'm not gonna lie, I hate Kansas state but to me coach Snyder is the second best coach I've seen in my lifetime.

Well...from what I can observe....his teams are quite disciplined....esp. as of late. He lacks the talent...but makes up for it in disciplined players that play their asses off and play focused within the game (ie, position duties, don't create penalties). This is no pun on Bo and the Huskers....but I believe disciplining your team and having STRONG leadership helps to bring a mediocre team to become a great team. I still can't get over the amount of penalties and fumbles the Huskers create...yet I have seen the penalties go down in the past couple of years...which is something great to see.

A balance has to exist between the talent and scheme. I think even with a simplified scheme, Nebraska wasn't going to have a stand-out defense the last couple of years. It's because Pelini and his staff aren't capable of making up for a lack of talent at this point. They could get there in time, but until then, I think talent is going to be of paramount importance.

Bill Snyder and Co. can make up for a lack of talent becaues of the experience and savvy Snyder brings to the table. We don't have that luxury, which is why I think talent is going to be fairly important until Pelini and the staff get better.

Great point. It makes you wonder what Snyder and staff focus their time in teaching compared to us as a staff. I'm not gonna lie, I hate Kansas state but to me coach Snyder is the second best coach I've seen in my lifetime.

Well...from what I can observe....his teams are quite disciplined....esp. as of late. He lacks the talent...but makes up for it in disciplined players that play their asses off and play focused within the game (ie, position duties, don't create penalties). This is no pun on Bo and the Huskers....but I believe disciplining your team and having STRONG leadership helps to bring a mediocre team to become a great team. I still can't get over the amount of penalties and fumbles the Huskers create...yet I have seen the penalties go down in the past couple of years...which is something great to see.

I'm find with an aggressive penalty occasionally. One of the draw backs of having a physical secondary is we will get flagged for PIs. I don't have an issue with that or penalties like KB's block against WISC.

Fumbles are never tolerable.

Perhaps one reason for the passive attitude on football is the thought that there are few if any stars returning for the defense and we are hopeful but not highly confident in their abilities to turn that side of the game around. We understand they will be faster and more athletic but will they get the job done? This Husker fan thinks they may not be a team of All Americans but they will be better by mid season and I can't wait. A lot will depend on keeping our DT's healthy.

This is the first year in a long time we haven't had major issues to talk about during the off season. 2008 there was turmoil to talk about with Texas and OU possibly leaving the conference. I think it was 2009 when it was announced we were moving to the BigTen. We then had the huge lead up to our last year in the Big XII. That season was full of frustration/turmoil. We then had an off season full of speculation leading up to our first season in the BigTen in 2011. Last year we talked about what it was like to finally be in the BigTen and the lead up to the second year and how that was affecting recruiting.

This year, we are finally somewhat settled into the new conference and there isn't major issues that is on the news and in the minds of fans.

I'm going to kick back and enjoy an off season without all this off the field crap.

This is the first year in a long time we haven't had major issues to talk about during the off season. 2008 there was turmoil to talk about with Texas and OU possibly leaving the conference. I think it was 2009 when it was announced we were moving to the BigTen. We then had the huge lead up to our last year in the Big XII. That season was full of frustration/turmoil. We then had an off season full of speculation leading up to our first season in the BigTen in 2011. Last year we talked about what it was like to finally be in the BigTen and the lead up to the second year and how that was affecting recruiting.

This year, we are finally somewhat settled into the new conference and there isn't major issues that is on the news and in the minds of fans.

I'm going to kick back and enjoy an off season without all this off the field crap.

Close...

2008: New Coach

2009: Year 2 (Improvement?)

2010: Only need a QB to be elite & Leaving Big 12.

2011: First year in Big Ten.

2012: Year 2 of Big Ten. Revenge in sight, and CCG hopeful.

2013: meh....

Close...

Yes....However, the conference issues were a major topic of discussion as far back as 2008. (Texas wanting it's own network and possibly leaving then our announcement in the winter of 2008/2009)

You could lay your list on top of mine and the combination makes for one heck of a lot to talk about in the off season.

This year, it is nice to finally just have football and there isn't much to talk about there. (Many times that is a good thing this time of year)

Close...

Yes....However, the conference issues were a major topic of discussion as far back as 2008. (Texas wanting it's own network and possibly leaving then our announcement in the winter of 2008/2009)

You could lay your list on top of mine and the combination makes for one heck of a lot to talk about in the off season.

This year, it is nice to finally just have football and there isn't much to talk about there. (Many times that is a good thing this time of year)

Oh, I agree. I was just pointing out the common topics of those years. This is the first "normal" year we've had in a while.

Are we really being any more lackluster than usual?

And by lackluster do you really mean cautious?

And by cautious do I mean pessimistic?

I dunno. I'm actually pretty excited for the season. Like I am for every season.

But Bo Pelini needs to turn the defense around. I thought it would happen last year because it couldn't get much worse than the season before it, but the defense stayed pretty bad -- lower tier NCAA bad -- and that's unfamiliar territory for anyone who's followed the Huskers for the past 50 years.

Are we really being any more lackluster than usual?

And by lackluster do you really mean cautious?

And by cautious do I mean pessimistic?

I dunno. I'm actually pretty excited for the season. Like I am for every season.

But Bo Pelini needs to turn the defense around. I thought it would happen last year because it couldn't get much worse than the season before it, but the defense stayed pretty bad -- lower tier NCAA bad -- and that's unfamiliar territory for anyone who's followed the Huskers for the past 50 years.

But it's actually very familiar territory for anyone that's covered the Huskers over the past 13 seasons.

2000-average

2001-started good, finished poor.

2002-bad

2003-good but not great

2004-bad

2005-average

2006-good but some bad games

2007-...........

2008-not good to start, but got better

2009- :leghump:

2010-Pretty good, not quite elite

2011-average on a good day

2012-see 2011.

My opinions anyway. The thing is, when you deviate from the norm as we became use to by the end of the 90's for over a decade, it's no longer the norm. Our new norm is average at best defense on a year by year basis. This may not just be Nebraska thing though. With the way the game has changed and is now played, offensive production has and continues to climb on a pretty steady basis overall.