When was the last off season that was this lackluster among fans

Number 1 pass defense is a bit misleading don't you think. The defense will be faster and more athletic next year. I hope Garrison is the man that gets this offensive line figured out....especially the penalties that seem to kill us at times. Joseph is a good coach just not sure about his ability to teach run support. Secondary play is not purely all about the passing game, I don't need to tell you that.

I believe you know a thing or two, and I've enjoyed talking to you personally when we've been able to. Good discussion. Have a great day.

Misleading towards what? Statistically speaking we did in fact have the #1 pass defense in the country (see accountability's post above for the legitimacy of this). Not disagreeing with you just not sure what point you think is being made that makes that a misleading statement. As far as I can see, his point is that Joseph took the same players (same bad, awful players by the accounts of many) that Raymond had and improved their production noticeably.

Just look at these submissions from this thread:

Ryan Aplin, Arkansas State, Sep. 15, 2012 - 16/32 (50.0%) - 138 yards - 0 TD - 0 INT

Kevin Yost, Idaho State, Sep. 22, 2012 - 16/34 (47.1%) - 123 yards - 0 TD - 2 INT

Trevor Siemian & Kain Colter, Northwestern, Oct. 20, 2012 - 16/37 (43.2%) - 121 yards - 2 TD - 0 INT

Denard Robinson & Russell Bellomy, Michigan, Oct. 27, 2012 - 9/27 (33.3%) - 93 yards - 0 TD - 3 INT

Andrew Maxwell, Michigan State, Nov. 3, 2012 - 9/27 (33.3%) - 123 yards - 1 TD - 0 INT

Matt McGloin, Penn State, Nov. 10, 2012 - 18/37 (48.6%) - 240 yards - 1 TD - 1 INT - 1 Safety

Philip Nelson, Minnesota, Nov. 17, 2012 - 8/23 (34.8%) - 59 yards - 0 TD - 2 INT

Misleading towards the fact that the rush defense was terrible so no one had to throw very often against us.

That's not the point. See my point. Nebraska was ranked 1st in opp compl % and very high in pass yds/att. This is known as Pass efficiency defense. Not pass defense. Efficiency defense is what nebraska was tops in, and, literally has nothing to do with how many times the opponent runs or throws the ball.

That would be like saying the '09 defense wasnt really that good because they gave up almost 300 yards per game.

I know I am splitting hairs but our Defense was not #1 in either Passing Defense of Passing efficiency defense according to the NCAA. They were 4th and 9th respectively.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1

I think the offense will be better, the linebackers will be better, and I'm not sure if the safeties will be any better, but they certainly won't be any worse. Hard to say with the defensive line, there's a chance it could be better than last year, but there's also a chance it could be. . . gulp . . . worse. Although he disappeared at times, Eric Martin was the closest thing we had to a playmaker on the defensive line. Without his presence there's actually a very good chance it could be worse. Valentine seems to be our only hope of having an improved defensive line, but by all accounts he's lazy, and he probably won't be in any kind of shape to play 60 snaps per game.

Anyways, I think this year will be a better team playing an easier schedule, but it just seems standard we'll find a way to lose 4 games, doesn't it?

Yep, pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I know I am splitting hairs but our Defense was not #1 in either Passing Defense of Passing efficiency defense according to the NCAA. They were 4th and 9th respectively.

http://www.ncaa.com/...nt/team/1042/p1

What The Dude said. We were #1 in both until Aaron Murray had his career day against us. I think I'll start a thread later today comparing number of attempts quarterbacks averaged versus number of attempts they threw on us, and their success rates.

What The Dude said. We were #1 in both until Aaron Murray had his career day against us. I think I'll start a thread later today comparing number of attempts quarterbacks averaged versus number of attempts they threw on us, and their success rates.

Offenses both good and bad are inclined to take whatever the defense gives them, and that shows up in our dismal Rushing Defense, and ultimately our less-than-fearsome Scoring Defense.

When a UCLA or South Carolina set out to exploit our pass defense, it wasn't that hard. When Hundley dropped back to pass in the UCLA game, you could almost see him doing the math....if they're going to give me that huge corner uncontested and I can lumber to the sidelines for a first down without getting touched, why do I even need to put the ball in the air?

Later on Ill start a tread projecting the line up on both sides of the ball and what recruiting classes they are from.

Good EZ-E, please do. I just joined not long ago and there are never any new threads on here. I know its the off season, but threads like framing a blowout, boring to say the least. How many points does it take to be considered a blowout? I mean I cant think of anything right off the top of my head, but one of you long time regulars can come up with something interesting I'm sure.

Offenses both good and bad are inclined to take whatever the defense gives them, and that shows up in our dismal Rushing Defense, and ultimately our less-than-fearsome Scoring Defense.

When a UCLA or South Carolina set out to exploit our pass defense, it wasn't that hard. When Hundley dropped back to pass in the UCLA game, you could almost see him doing the math....if they're going to give me that huge corner uncontested and I can lumber to the sidelines for a first down without getting touched, why do I even need to put the ball in the air?

Except that they did put the ball in the air. 33 attempts in our game compared to 34 attempts on the season. Why would they do that?

Later on Ill start a tread projecting the line up on both sides of the ball and what recruiting classes they are from.

Good EZ-E, please do. I just joined not long ago and there are never any new threads on here. I know its the off season, but threads like framing a blowout, boring to say the least. How many points does it take to be considered a blowout? I mean I cant think of anything right off the top of my head, but one of you long time regulars can come up with something interesting I'm sure.

Wow. Don't wet your pants over it.

I have never one time been an advocate of the "Callahan brought in talent" crowd and never will be. So I'm not sure where that comment is from. There are things that I know about the Callahan era that people have told me that make it very evident as to why Pederson and Callahan were fired (minus the on the field performance). The talent on his team was in no way better than what Bo has brought in.

We have had to make our defense work without all of the horses we need in the Big Ten. We had the players the past two seasons to be very effective in the Big 12. However there is definitely different personnel you need in the separate leagues. We have continued to bring in solid recruiting classes dating back to the end of the 2010 class and we have added depth where we were bare. Like at Linebacker.

I personally believe that we have brought in the kids that have the potential to be elite since the end of 2010. Since we will not be limited athletically at any spot this year or next, we should see the improvement I am hoping for as I have realistic expectations.

The comment wasn't meant at a shot at you at all, rather, that's the most common excuse that people use for the fall off. I disagree with you on the talent aspect thus far. Either Callahan brought in talent on the defensive side (or was moved there) that has far exceeded what Pelini has. The numbers would seem to point to that. The offensive side of the ball I wouldn't disagree with at all. I think our 09 D would have been fairly successful in the Big Ten, at least more successful than the 12 one was. Maybe not as effective as it was, but that's not really here nor there. I was just looking for insight on the downward trend in stats. If you think the talent we had on D would have been successful in the Big 12, then so be it, that's where they were recruited to play. I guess we'll wait and see what happens now.

Except that they did put the ball in the air. 33 attempts in our game compared to 34 attempts on the season. Why would they do that?

Pretty much everything they did was working. Hundley could use the defensive cushion to rush for 9 yards or pass for 15. Whatever fit the mood.

Even then, that was a fledgling UCLA offense that made its share of mistakes and the Husker D actually did step up a couple times, allowing the offense to get us back in the game. And the offense, shall we say, dropped the ball. Plenty of blame to go around on that one, but the damndest thing about the UCLA game is that if Maher didn't have the worst game of his career as both a punter and kicker, we probably leave Pasadena with a win.

Anytime you hold a team below 50% passing that throws it 20+ times that is saying a lot about the defense. The problem with BP's defense in some instances is that he will sacrafice run defense to be more sound in the pass defense. IMO they could have had a better run defense in some games, but it would have hurt on the back end. With that being said our run defense was pretty good a lot of days. Wisky 1, NW it was good except for that one long run, Meechicken. Not including Ark St., Idaho St., S. Miss, Minn. The problem with the run defense is that when it was bad it could be really bad. Wisky 2, UCLA, OSU,

A Bo Pelini defense is all about not giving up the big play through the air, which means you sacrifice some yards on the ground. Our safties the last two seasons gave up alot of pig plays due to poor tackling and god awful reads. When we had Matt O'Hanlon and Asante we rarely gave up a home run ball.