2013 alt uniform game

I'm probably going to get some backlash for saying this, but what the heck I'll say it anyway...

We don't need an alternate uniform game. Period. We are Nebraska.

The only thing somewhat decent about last season's alternate uniform game were the helmets. The uniforms on the other hand, in my opinion, were a joke.

It's not a matter of what we "need", it's a matter of what is wanted.

Regardless, what does the statement in red have to do with the statement in black?

Fair point with the "need" vs "want." On a side note, there was no intended meaning behind the statement in black and red. I just used the red text color because it's Nebraska's main color.

Anyway, I do think you hit the nail on the head in this discussion. I will concede that many of today's younger generation "want" these alternate uniform games. My point is I just don't think we as a program, based on our tradition and history need to go to these kind of efforts.

Why are we so much better than everyone else? Oklahoma, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Texas and others have all started doing alternative uniforms.

The thing is, the players love them, and that's all that should matter. It's for them, not for you and I.

Doesn't that bring us back to the same debate we had a couple of weeks ago on here of who's team is it? I think us as fans try to take ownership of the team sometimes. If players and recruits wanna see it then lets see it.

I'm probably going to get some backlash for saying this, but what the heck I'll say it anyway...

The only thing somewhat decent about last season's alternate uniform game were the helmets. The uniforms on the other hand, in my opinion, were a joke.

Hey I agree with you. Keep the traditional uniforms all season - red at home and white on the road. NU is one of many programs to have not changed their uniforms to the extreme over the years. Just keep them how they are!

• Fire 1

Regardless, what does the statement in red have to do with the statement in black?

Fair point with the "need" vs "want." On a side note, there was no intended meaning behind the statement in black and red. I just used the red text color because it's Nebraska's main color.

Anyway, I do think you hit the nail on the head in this discussion. I will concede that many of today's younger generation "want" these alternate uniform games. My point is I just don't think we as a program, based on our tradition and history need to go to these kind of efforts.

Why are we so much better than everyone else? Oklahoma, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Texas and others have all started doing alternative uniforms.

The thing is, the players love them, and that's all that should matter. It's for them, not for you and I.

I'm fine with having an alternate uniform. I've come around. Last year's was exciting, except a number on the front of jersey would have been perfect IMO. The only thing I do not like are the white cleats. I think black cleats and black socks look a lot better, but that's just a personal preference of mine.

Hey man I haven't seen Texas or Bama ever wear an alt uniform. Was this recent? Or upcoming? Just wondering

If you want to compete for the youth you have to be appealing to them in any way you possibly can. You see a lot of the more "traditional" football powers have all had some sort of alt uni. It's not a since of selling out, but just keeping up with the times. Kids like new unis. Not all of them want to look like the huskers of the 60s and 70s. You have to adapt with the times. Not saying go all Oregon or Maryland, but have an option there to be able to market to a recruit.

If you want to compete for the youth you have to be appealing to them in any way you possibly can. You see a lot of the more "traditional" football powers have all had some sort of alt uni. It's not a since of selling out, but just keeping up with the times. Kids like new unis. Not all of them want to look like the huskers of the 60s and 70s. You have to adapt with the times. Not saying go all Oregon or Maryland, but have an option there to be able to market to a recruit.

Nobody needs to compete for the youth. Until the youth has done something while they are still in their youth, nobody owes them anything. That's my opinion.

Alternate uniforms are okay just for the fun of it. If that's once a year or every other year - okay fine. Cool. But no one needs to change sh#t for the youth.

Nobody needs to compete for the youth. Until the youth has done something while they are still in their youth, nobody owes them anything. That's my opinion.

Alternate uniforms are okay just for the fun of it. If that's once a year or every other year - okay fine. Cool. But no one needs to change sh#t for the youth.

It is about recruiting, and what is that if it isn't competing for youth(certain athletic youths anyway). No we don't owe youth in general anything but since recruits dig cool alternative uniforms it's a good idea to do it.

I am all for an alternate uni game. The one thing that is a must for me from a design aspect though is to leave black out. It's just not needed IMO. I liked the unis last year except for that. IMO they would have been better without the black and maybe have done red helmet with white N. JMO.

With that being said, I was a little disappointed in the lack of creativity in last years uniform. It essentially just inverted some colors (less the "N" on the chest). Adidas can do better than that. I mean, if it's an alternate then it isn't gonna kill anyone to actually make a different helmet. Like the block N or something. On those helmets above that all white with the red outlined N for example. Or the matte red helmet above. Lots of ways to make the uni's different while sticking to red and white.

I disagree. I don't think adding an alternate uniform game sells the program any more than sticking with traditional unis. I would say, if anything, kids would want to play for a school that has a rich tradition, with constant uniforms over time than one dawning an alternate uniform every season. Just my two cents.

I'm fine with having an alternate uniform. I've come around. Last year's was exciting, except a number on the front of jersey would have been perfect IMO. The only thing I do not like are the white cleats. I think black cleats and black socks look a lot better, but that's just a personal preference of mine.

Hey man I haven't seen Texas or Bama ever wear an alt uniform. Was this recent? Or upcoming? Just wondering

Alabama wears Nike Pro Combat uniforms. While they're not alternate uniforms per se, they are they are different from their normal ones. Also, Texas hasn't been relevant for three years, so I don't know why you're using them as an example.