Thomas Brown & Ernest Suttles Off the Team

I'm not sure what is going on with Jonathan Rose...

But, from what I understand - Suttles hasn't been the easiest to deal with (apparently not the first fight he has been in since he has been here) and Brown has had some...other issues.. that should probably not be brought to light. Bo was attempting to send a message to the current crop of players. It is my understanding that their is more than one "break" in chemistry between players on this team that has seemingly gotten close to a breaking point. I wouldn't say anything to worry about, as you can't expect everyone to get along with everyone, but you can't have players running around trying to whoop on each other. This pretty much has to do with keeping the "family" atmosphere in tact. You fight your brothers all the time, but you don't threaten to do more than that to them (even in the heat of moment), and you certainly don't scare others with your actions.

But, from what I understand - Suttles hasn't been the easiest to deal with (apparently not the first fight he has been in since he has been here) and Brown has had some...other issues.. that should probably not be brought to light. Bo was attempting to send a message to the current crop of players. It is my understanding that their is more than one "break" in chemistry between players on this team that has seemingly gotten close to a breaking point. I wouldn't say anything to worry about, as you can't expect everyone to get along with everyone, but you can't have players running around trying to whoop on each other. This pretty much has to do with keeping the "family" atmosphere in tact. You fight your brothers all the time, but you don't threaten to do more than that to them (even in the heat of moment), and you certainly don't scare others with your actions.

From what I read, Suttles has been on campus about 6 weeks. How bad could he have been? This incident notwithstanding.

I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree. But, to put a positive spin on it, we don't need an excessive amount of talent or such to improve over what we had last year. Maybe I'm a bit too hard on our D these last couple of years and maybe I'm being a little too optimistic but, is there anyway possible we don't improve at LB & DL? I shudder to think that it won't be much better regardless these two departures.

You're right, but unfortunately that's the only basis for the hope this D is going to be better. It's entire foundation is based on "they can't be as bad as last year". Otherwise, there isn't much historically that would make someone think this will be a better team. How often do you graduate almost an entire squad and improve? Rarely. Not saying it won't happen, but I think Husker fans are going on blind faith and a lot of hope right now.

My concern is that if this D is 1 mental mistake away from giving up 6 on any given play (which was obvious and confirmed last year and in years past numerous times)...who do you think will be making more mental mistakes, a team primarily comprised of seniors...or a team of freshman/sophomores.

This might work at other places, but if Bo sticks to his system...it's not looking good for us. We've been talking for the last 3 years about how kids have finally been in the system a while and understand the D, and that's why we are going to be better. Why would anyone think that no longer applies....because it doesn't fit our current situation?

Of course you are right. I am simply stretching to stay positive. We are definitely thin on experience and "knowing the system". However, all indications would suggest that our recruiting in these areas has increased the talent level and potential rather significantly. Bo might just have to break down and make do with what he has rather than waiting 5 years for the players to finally fit into his mold. I love Bo but one of my biggest exasperations with him has been a system that totally breaks down with one missed tackle or one mental mistake. I'm gonna be all goofy optimistic again and hope that maybe Bo will tweak the framework so they can be successful with less experienced guys. Youth aside, I've got to believe we'll be improved at speed, talent, & toughness. Those things can sure help hide some mental/experience issues.

Of course you are right. I am simply stretching to stay positive. We are definitely thin on experience and "knowing the system". However, all indications would suggest that our recruiting in these areas has increased the talent level and potential rather significantly. Bo might just have to break down and make do with what he has rather than waiting 5 years for the players to finally fit into his mold. I love Bo but one of my biggest exasperations with him has been a system that totally breaks down with one missed tackle or one mental mistake. I'm gonna be all goofy optimistic again and hope that maybe Bo will tweak the framework so they can be successful with less experienced guys. Youth aside, I've got to believe we'll be improved at speed, talent, & toughness. Those things can sure help hide some mental/experience issues.

On the bright side, this might force his hand back into that Peso defense and get Evans on the field more. I'm still not convinced with the right talent that defense wouldn't work in the B1G. I'd take Evans/Santos/Anderson in the Peso over Anderson/Santos/Roach in a more traditional B1G defense. Our experience and talent is deep in the backfield. Hopefully we see those guys on the field more in some variation of the Peso that takes the B1G by surprise.

From what I read, Suttles has been on campus about 6 weeks. How bad could he have been? This incident notwithstanding.

I've been told the same.

I saw that the Suttles kid busted another player in the head with a beer bottle, but what did the other kid do to get kicked off?

He didn't recycle the broken bottle

Didn't he see the promotional material. Players, coaches, fans, custodians.... all of us have one charge..... Help the Big Red Go Green!

For that alone he should be kicked off the team. And disowned by his parents as I am sure they understand the impact that a NON Recycler can have on the environment.

• Fire 1

This is true, of course, but then don't invite the guys that you don't get along with to a party. I mean, in high school, we only had about 50 guys on the team and still had cliques, our own parties. With as many guys as they have on that team, it shouldn't be too hard to avoid each other off the field.

This is true, of course, but then don't invite the guys that you don't get along with to a party. I mean, in high school, we only had about 50 guys on the team and still had cliques, our own parties. With as many guys as they have on that team, it shouldn't be too hard to avoid each other off the field.

From what I was told, both parties involved with this "incident" were told they needed to be civil with each other, or not socialize with each other.

And regarding Suttles - He hasn't been here long, but I can confidently say, from what I was told - players nor coaches were fond of his attitude and antics. Even if this incident didn't happen, I was told by someone that they'd be shocked if he lasted past this year at the rate he was going.

Another gem I was relayed is that Suttles is pretty lucky that Santos stepped in and was the only other person he seriously hurt before being "dealt" with.

Good on Bo for not keeping him. Grade A knucklehead.