Phil Steele Predicts a NEB vs. Oregon Rose Bowl Game

I'm not worried about the pass D, or scoring points. The two biggest keys are the defense being competent against the run, and the offense not turning it over. I also think choosing the correct tempo will help. If the D is struggling, slow it down, and control the clock.

Yeah, the tempo thing got to me a few times last season. There were times (ohio state game) when the offense just killed the D. A bunch of drives in the 20-30 second range. That's going to be on Bo though, Becks going to call what he feels is best for his offense to execute, often times that's with little regard to the current state of the defense. Bo is the one that has to step up and be aware of both sides of the ball and call the game from that perspective. I still think he's got his head in the D sometimes, and loses site of the bigger picture. Sometimes I really wish he'd just hire a Greg Mattison type d-coordinator and become a head coach. Wouldn't have said that 3 years ago, but a lot has changed in the last 3 years.

No that's on Beck. If the defense it out there for a long drive and make a stop and then you turn around and go 4 and out and it takes you les than a minute, you have to give the defense enough time to rest otherwise you are just hurting yourself.

This thread is weird. I can see us not getting to the game, but thinking we'll get there is not as crazy as some people are making it out to be. We don't have to be undefeated to get there. We can lose all of our non conference games, and maybe a conference game or two. I don't see Michigan or Northwestern winning out. It's not that crazy to think we'll get to the big ten championship.

"NU bowl prediction: Rose Bowl vs. Oregon. Steele predicts Ohio State will win the Big Ten title and play for the national title."

http://www.omaha.com...SKERS/706299871-

Per McKewon's article of summarizing CFB's preseason predictions, he makes note of the notables of each CFB magazine. Phil Steele usually thinks highly of the Huskers. He thinks NEB will pass up MICH and head to the BIG10 championship to square off against Ohio St. NEB slips and Ohio St. goes to the natty title game. What do ya guys think?

Steele was outdated. See his Predictions . Added Holiday, Hunger and Pinstripes bowls B1G Tie-Ins. Phil's said Washington-BYU in Hunger bowl (wrong) and TCU-ArizSt in Holiday (wrong). Also, dropped Buffalo Wings (NW-Baylor), Heart of Dallas (Iowa-Tulsa) and I think, Little Caesars (Minnesota-BG).

Last year, Hoosiers predict Leader's Trophy (tOSU sanction) according to Phil.

"NU bowl prediction: Rose Bowl vs. Oregon. Steele predicts Ohio State will win the Big Ten title and play for the national title."

http://www.omaha.com...SKERS/706299871-

Per McKewon's article of summarizing CFB's preseason predictions, he makes note of the notables of each CFB magazine. Phil Steele usually thinks highly of the Huskers. He thinks NEB will pass up MICH and head to the BIG10 championship to square off against Ohio St. NEB slips and Ohio St. goes to the natty title game. What do ya guys think?

Steele was outdated. See his Predictions . Added Holiday, Hunger and Pinstripes bowls B1G Tie-Ins. Phil's said Washington-BYU in Hunger bowl (wrong) and TCU-ArizSt in Holiday (wrong). Also, dropped Buffalo Wings (NW-Baylor), Heart of Dallas (Iowa-Tulsa) and I think, Little Caesars (Minnesota-BG).

Last year, Hoosiers predict Leader's Trophy (tOSU sanction) according to Phil.

None of those bowl changes happen until next season.

4 losses would be livable, if they were close hard fought battles. This program really can not endure anymore 70 point thrashings. Lose to Michigan or Northwestern and keep it close, no real problem. Lots of youth, lack of any real defensive experience, most will understand. But curb stompings, allowed by a man that was hired as a defensive genius can not continue.

I do not expect this team to win every game. I see three that we could lose very easily. But losing and being mauled are two different things for me. We have three losses, the team looks like they are learning, improving every game, the staff has answers for why they lost, I can live with it. Our defensive talent, is supposed to be below the big boys, so if we can not coach them up so to speak, we have real problems.

I do not think we will get to the Rose Bowl, but I think our overall win/loss record may improve. If we make it to the Rose Bowl with this defensive group, it screams how bad this conference is. Not that the kids are bad, but so young, so untested, it would be a miracle to me.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the "4 loses being livable". This season has the most favorable schedule they've seen in at least a couple years. Outside of UCLA, which team really scares you? Michigan being the only real one I can see, mainly because it's an away game. If this team lost 4 games, this board would go full retard, and may send Knapp into early retirement with all the discipinary actions doled out...

I don't expect this team to win every game either, that being said there isn't any reason they shouldn't be in a position to win every game. The games they lose, up until the CCG (should we get there), will be because they beat themselves or let themselves get outworked by the opposition.

The whole season is really hinging on how the defense plays. There also needs to be an improvement made on turnovers and penalties. We've all come to the realization that the offense should be pretty ridiculous, unless Beck channels his inner Watson.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the "4 loses being livable". This season has the most favorable schedule they've seen in at least a couple years. Outside of UCLA, which team really scares you? Michigan being the only real one I can see, mainly because it's an away game. If this team lost 4 games, this board would go full retard, and may send Knapp into early retirement with all the discipinary actions doled out...

I don't expect this team to win every game either, that being said there isn't any reason they shouldn't be in a position to win every game. The games they lose, up until the CCG (should we get there), will be because they beat themselves or let themselves get outworked by the opposition.

The whole season is really hinging on how the defense plays. There also needs to be an improvement made on turnovers and penalties. We've all come to the realization that the offense should be pretty ridiculous, unless Beck channels his inner Watson.

If we lost to UCLA and Michigan, there's still the possibility we would make the championship game against (likely) OSU.

We could easily lose that game. Then, we'd end up playing in the Rose or Capitol One Bowl again, against a top 10 opponent. Another game that would not be easy by any stretch.

So yes, I think 4 losses is livable, if they're close and competitive and tough battles.

I am not saying we are going to lose 4 games. I am saying if we play good sound football and lose, so be it. This is not the most talented team in the conference, and seems to be falling farther behind every day in that. So the coaching has to make up for the shortfall. We truly have not seen that from Bo. He has a very tough job this year with the defense. The battle cry is defense wins championships, name another team out there, that has a similar situation, that you would be predicting a BCS game for. I think some are putting too much on Bo this year.