Atlas 5 shroud. The workers was wearing a tricked out protection gear. What's the purpose anyway? Overreacting or what? BTW, "N" sign pasted inside this building .... supposed to be red color ;)

To prevent contamination or static discharge. There's pretty sensitive equipment on these things despite the forces they experience. Any oils or moisture form human skin could cause corrosion on expensive equipment, and a static discharge could fry a circuit or ignite something.

I say slightly overreacting.

SpaceX project

Ha ha! The guys in full-body lab coats were working on Atlas V. The guys in shirtsleeves are working on Space X. Isn't the Space X launch vehicle the one shown in the YouTube video in a fiery crash? Maybe they *should* have worn labcoats. :lol:

I make the comment above tongue in cheek. Gov't funded(*) space projects are incredibly wasteful, over-regulated and therefore guilty of constant budget overruns. But they get away with it because they're largely funded by tax dollars, either directly or indirectly. The project managers know they can simply mod the contract to get more $$ anytime they want. And they do. I don't think anything in the history of gov't funded space projects has ever come in under budget. By contrast, Space Xthe guys in shortsleeve shirtsis privately funded (I think). So they cut out a lot of the useless procedures and waste.

* Sure Atlas V has been used to launch *some* commercial payloads. But if you look at their launch history most of the Atlas V launch vehicles have been purchased with gov't money. Maybe 80 or 90%, or something like that.

Atlas 5 shroud. The workers was wearing a tricked out protection gear. What's the purpose anyway? Overreacting or what? BTW, "N" sign pasted inside this building .... supposed to be red color ;)

To prevent contamination or static discharge. There's pretty sensitive equipment on these things despite the forces they experience. Any oils or moisture form human skin could cause corrosion on expensive equipment, and a static discharge could fry a circuit or ignite something.

I say slightly overreacting.

SpaceX project

I make the comment above tongue in cheek. Gov't funded(*) space projects are incredibly wasteful, over-regulated and therefore guilty of constant budget overruns. But they get away with it because they're largely funded by tax dollars, either directly or indirectly. The project managers know they can simply mod the contract to get more $$ anytime they want. And they do. I don't think anything in the history of gov't funded space projects has ever come in under budget. By contrast, Space Xthe guys in shortsleeve shirtsis privately funded (I think). So they cut out a lot of the useless procedures and waste.

Probably correct ...... Gov't funded.

4fde0079.jpg

NASA employees ?? :lol:

It reminds me of Howard Hughes later life

330px-1954_Chrysler_New_Yorker_Howard_Hu

Hughes equipped this NASA design with an aircraft-grade air filtration system which took up the entire trunk. :sarcasm

There is a bit of difference between the uses for the two different items pictured. What the guys in jeans appear to be working on is the simple part, the item that at its core is very simple. The clean room appears to be a passenger capsule. Slightly different levels of components. Look at it like this, if you are putting a bandaid on a cut, you can wear jeans. If someone is performing surgery on you, you want them in scrubs with a mask.

TOTAL solar eclipse, Friday March 20 in Norway.

In our US soil, the last event was way back in February 1979, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Stay tuned, August 21 2017.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

"And speaking of Lincoln, this second capital city in the path lies near its northern edge, so totality is shorter there - only 1m 25.5s (at 1:02pm) on the grounds of the beautiful State Capitol. The 50-yard-line at Husker stadium gets five seconds less time in the shadow, so you can see how important it is to get as far south as you can!"

I believe fall camp period !

Not really 'space' but still really cool.

Indeed the LHC has been spectacularly successful. First scientists proved the existence of the elusive Higgs boson ‘God particle’ – a key building block of the universe – and it is seemingly well on the way to nailing ‘dark matter’ – a previously undetectable theoretical possibility that is now thought to make up the majority of matter in the universe.

But next week’s experiment is considered to be a game changer.

http://secondnexus.com/technology-and-innovation/large-hadron-collider-scientists-hope-make-contact-parallel-universe/

Not really 'space' but still really cool.

Indeed the LHC has been spectacularly successful. First scientists proved the existence of the elusive Higgs boson ‘God particle’ – a key building block of the universe – and it is seemingly well on the way to nailing ‘dark matter’ – a previously undetectable theoretical possibility that is now thought to make up the majority of matter in the universe.

But next week’s experiment is considered to be a game changer.

http://secondnexus.com/technology-and-innovation/large-hadron-collider-scientists-hope-make-contact-parallel-universe/

After 2 year refit, LHC is down until a short-circuit is fixed.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/03/24/us-science-cern-idINKBN0MK2ES20150324

eehjnnp3lhathskac1st.jpg

A New Type of Dyson Sphere May Be Nearly Impossible to Detect
By Maddie Stone www.gizmodo.com Today 4:00pm

Over fifty years ago, physicist Freeman Dyson proposed an awesome, if slightly insane, idea: That an advanced alien civilization might construct a massive, energy-harvesting sphere around its star, and bunk up inside.
Scientists have never given up on Dyson spheres—we've even conducted a few legitimate searches for their infrared heat signatures. Now, physicists Ibrahim Semiz and Salim Ogur may have an explanation for why we can't seem to find the megastructures. If Dyson spheres exist, they're probably a lot smaller than we thought.

A LOT smaller. Perhaps the size of a vacuum cleaner. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

earth-rise.jpg

SEE THE VINTAGE SPACE PHOTOS THAT PUT OUR WORLD INTO PERSPECTIVE
One small step for man with camera, one giant leap for photography
By Sara Cravatts Posted April 10, 2015

LINK

Some pretty cool pics in that collection. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...