I understand both of those issues, and really I think the second one is the only obstacle. We are more than capable of figuring out how to get people there, it's just funding it and having people understand it's important.

See the link I posted a few posts above. Someone does have a plan do go, with the goal of a colony even.

We are plagued by moron politicians who ridicule the use of flies in research into genetics. Too often we have people with the mentality that not knowing anything about science or tech is virtue.

No doubt. The US is #1 in the world for people who don't believe in evolution. The leading Republican presidential candidate is a creationist. I cannot wrap my head around the level of ignorance required on so many levels to have those beliefs.

Belief. It's pretty easy. Do you believe in anything that isn't tangible?

I actually believe in both having happened in order to give us what the world is today. I dont believe the two have to be mutually exclusive per say. But WTF do I know. I'm an ignorant m-f'r.

I don't follow. You believe in creationism followed by a teensy bit of evolution???

I believe in a Creator. But that doesn't make me a creationist. Creationist believe that God poofed everything into existence all at once. Many of them, including Ben Carson, believe it happened about 6,000 years ago.

Belief is only for the intangible. Evolution is tangible and provable. We share a common ancestor with chimps. We were the same species about 8 million years ago. These are proven facts. If you don't believe in proven facts, then you are ignorant. In other words, you're ignoring proven facts.

It's like if I told you that I believed the Earth is flat. You would rightfully say I was ignorant of some basic facts.

Now, if you want to have beliefs about how the universe was formed, or how life began on Earth, believe away. There isn't much in the way of facts to define how those things happened. We know there is life on Earth, but we don't know how it began. We're pretty certain that the universe was formed with a big bang where "nothing" was split into matter and anti-matter, but we don't know what triggered it. I believe God did it. And I believe He did it in such a way that worlds would be created with the all the factors needed for life to from and evolve.

Maybe what you meant in your post is that you believe that God actively and specifically created life on Earth several billion years ago? That's fine. I can't say you're wrong. That's worthy of belief.

You want to believe in space aliens? Go right ahead. Odds are they do exist. But we have no evidence of them existing. There is no way to prove they don't exist. Ghosts? Same thing.

But "belief" shouldn't be used on scientific facts.

Yep. You pretty much hit it on the head but explain it much better than me. Im not a creationist. I believe God started everything and allowed evolution to play a big part into what the world has become today.

Yep. You pretty much hit it on the head but explain it much better than me. Im not a creationist. I believe God started everything and allowed evolution to play a big part into what the world has become today.

I'd stay away from the creationist label then, for your own sake when clarifying to others.

I'm in the same boat and find solace resting in scientific conclusions on origins and progression of our universe because, frankly, that makes God's work outrageously more beautiful, complex, and entirely supernatural. It also seems to make more sense when looking at the Genesis creation narrative. For example, we know that water on our planet existed before the sun ever did in a protoplanetary disk, which is essentially a big cluster of gasses and molecules.

Interestingly enough, Genesis records the earth being completely formless, and the Spirit hovering over the waters, before God says let there be light.

I'd stay away from the creationist label then, for your own sake when clarifying to others.

I'm in the same boat and find solace resting in scientific conclusions on origins and progression of our universe because, frankly, that makes God's work outrageously more beautiful, complex, and entirely supernatural. It also seems to make more sense when looking at the Genesis creation narrative. For example, we know that water on our planet existed before the sun ever did in a protoplanetary disk, which is essentially a big cluster of gasses and molecules.

Interestingly enough, Genesis records the earth being completely formless, and the Spirit hovering over the waters, before God says let there be light.

Interesting take. I never thought about that.

I just think the whole creationist view of God poofing everything into place 6,000 years ago is disrespectful to Him. It makes Him seem like a sideshow magician. The Big Bang explanation of Him snapping his fingers to create everything 15 billion years ago in such a way that we would end up where we are today just seems like a much more elegant method for a truly supreme being.

• 2 months later...

Need to beef up those legs wink.gif. Call Mark Phillip nod.gif. Or seasick. Or drunk as a skunk. Vodka fueled ??

SpaceX gadget liked the solid soil .......

I believe this is where one of the mechanisms on the legs didn't fully lock-out. They said it was a result of ice build up. Still pretty incredible that they've done what they have. There is a massive amount of engineering to accomplish that landing successfully.

Part of me wonders if they over work their people with some of the issues they have. There was an application for engineers at SpaceX when I was in school and I remember it saying 60 hour weeks were the minimum to expect. That'd be pretty damn intense mentally.

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

USA TODAY: Mysterious repeating signals arriving from deep space

(NEWSER) – Researchers just announced the discovery of radio signals from beyond our galaxy that are behaving in strange ways. Fast radio bursts—or FRBs—are very rare, very quick blasts of radio waves originating billions of light years away. It's unclear where exactly in the universe they're coming from and what's causing them.

635920908825796196-Milky-Way.jpg

• 5 weeks later...