UCLA Game worries

Can't believe the NCAA gave Vanderdoes a waiver, they are morons. Grounds were lacking, hell if anything the situation called for him not playing this season, and they have opened Pandora's box for others to think they can just slide on their commitment.

As far as the game goes we have to avoid turnovers and make the tackles we missed in droves last time. UCLA has extra prep time and I'm sure they will be able to confuse our young D some. They confused an experienced D last year. But what killed us was inability to complete assignments and make those tackles in space. We're faster this year, so that should decrease their ability to run around us. We're supposed to be focusing more on working good-on-good in camp and tackling this time around. Hopefully that helps.

You know his appeal was based on an illness in the family and him wanting to be closer to home? I doubt the NCAA will have too many kids with that situation.

Besides, as others have said, EV starting for UCLA probably means their DL depth is in bad shape. Our running game is very good and should be able to maul an inexperienced DL. The lineup Brule posted above has upperclassmen as all the starters, which certainly makes more sense than EV starting. UCLA is the barometer game for us, and I feel confident with the game in Lincoln.

I've seen many posts where Nebraska fans say that the Cornhusker defense will be faster this year. What is this based on? Observations of practices? Statements by coaches? Faster players being promoted to starting positions? I'm not saying the Cornhuskers will not be faster - I just curious how people know that now.

Wouldn't you have to see the team in game conditions when you can compare its speed to the opposition's to really know if it is faster than the previous season? Or can you tell by what you see or hear from reliable sources prior to the season?

I've seen many posts where Nebraska fans say that the Cornhusker defense will be faster this year. What is this based on? Observations of practices? Statements by coaches? Faster players being promoted to starting positions? I'm not saying the Cornhuskers will not be faster - I just curious how people know that now.

Wouldn't you have to see the team in game conditions when you can compare its speed to the opposition's to really know if it is faster than the previous season? Or can you tell by what you see or hear from reliable sources prior to the season?

The last few years out linebacker crew has been slow as hell. Many who can't keep up with the tight ends. When we say the defense will be faster we are primarily talking the LBs. we have a young and very quick group. Sure we don't know how they will perform, but they will be able to catch a RB around the end and stick with TEs and even WRs. So it's just a very fast group.

• Fire 1

The last few years out linebacker crew has been slow as hell. Many who can't keep up with the tight ends. When we say the defense will be faster we are primarily talking the LBs. we have a young and very quick group. Sure we don't know how they will perform, but they will be able to catch a RB around the end and stick with TEs and even WRs. So it's just a very fast group.

Thanks for the clarification.

Vanderdoes should not be allowed to play this season. I'm sympathetic to whatever family situation he has going on but playing football is not a right. There is nothing stopping him from taking time off from school and/or football. If his family situation is really that pressing, taking time off probably is the right move anyways. He signed his NLI and he should be accountable to the consequences of that action NCAA made a mistake here.

Watching film of these guys who committed the last few years it is very apparent. Go compare highlights of Compton, Fischer, Whaley, Rome, Meridith, Smith etc.in high school compared to guys like Santos, Anderson, Afalava, Banderas, Newby, Gregory, McMullen.Cooper, Jackson. Not to mention the speed of the Freshman safeties we've brought in, although how much they see the field remains to be seen. My eye is somewhat untrained, but it doesn't take long to see the difference (I think it is that big of a leap forward).

Fuller blind-sided a ton of people. It was down to NU and Rutgers for awhile. I honestly though Rutgers until their coach for hired to the NFL. Then Arizona entered the picture when Rich Rod got hired and he pitched the idea of being the next Pat White. I honestly predicted him to NU. UCLA entered very late and I didn't think they were much of a player until I heard Sinbad was his uncle and that was a big part of his decision. Our offer was at QB, but if it didn't work out he'd be moved.

Sinbad is his uncle??!?!??!

I definitely am glad that sonofabitch didn't come here...

Not a Sinbad fan walks?

Sinbad can eat a bag of d*cks

Vanderdoes should not be allowed to play this season. I'm sympathetic to whatever family situation he has going on he has going on but playing football is not a right. There is nothing stopping him from taking time off from school and/or football. If his family situation is really that pressing, taking time off probably is the right move anyways. He signed his NLI and he should be accountable to the consequences of that action NCAA made a mistake here.

THIS MAN GETS IT

First, Vanderdoes isn't even going to a school very close to his grandma, for a local perspective it's about like saying you are moving to Lincoln to be near your family when they live in Scotts Bluff. Second, as you said, what about this situation calls for him to play this year? If anything wouldn't the situation call for him to not play rather than be wrapped-up in the responsibilities of football? He should be shirting, like much of his class will be doing anyway. This was a stupid call by the NCAA and it will create more work for them down the road with others that see this and figure they can state as good a case.

To the Topic Creator, it's been pointed out before in this thread but I want to reiterate, I think you're forgetting just how much hatred there was leading up to the Texas game. The whole red out the whole world campaign was just a start. The whole fanbase wanted that game with a passion that I haven't seen before or since. Add to that we were leaving the Big XII conference with everyone saying we were running with our tails between our legs to the Big 10 BECAUSE of Texas. That game was on a whole other level.

The UCLA game holds absolutely no candle to it. The fanbase wants revenge on UCLA, but no more than they would want revenge for losing to them the previous year.

• Fire 3

To the Topic Creator, it's been pointed out before in this thread but I want to reiterate, I think you're forgetting just how much hatred there was leading up to the Texas game. The whole red out the whole world campaign was just a start. The whole fanbase wanted that game with a passion that I haven't seen before or since. Add to that we were leaving the Big XII conference with everyone saying we were running with our tails between our legs to the Big 10 BECAUSE of Texas. That game was on a whole other level.

The UCLA game holds absolutely no candle to it. The fanbase wants revenge on UCLA, but no more than they would want revenge for losing to them the previous year.

+1

Watching film of these guys who committed the last few years it is very apparent. Go compare highlights of Compton, Fischer, Whaley, Rome, Meridith, Smith etc.in high school compared to guys like Santos, Anderson, Afalava, Banderas, Newby, Gregory, McMullen.Cooper, Jackson. Not to mention the speed of the Freshman safeties we've brought in, although how much they see the field remains to be seen. My eye is somewhat untrained, but it doesn't take long to see the difference (I think it is that big of a leap forward).

Nate Gerry. I dont know why, but I've never been so jacked up to see a particular young man enter the program. So many are excited bout the likes of Newby, Adam Taylor, and Johnny Stanton. But for me, Nate Gerry is who I am really excited to see. Just reminds me so much of Matt O'Hanlon, and we could use a missil like that out of the secondary against these more balanced Big10 offenses.

Nate Gerry. I dont know why, but I've never been so jacked up to see a particular young man enter the program. So many are excited bout the likes of Newby, Adam Taylor, and Johnny Stanton. But for me, Nate Gerry is who I am really excited to see. Just reminds me so much of Matt O'Hanlon, and we could use a missil like that out of the secondary against these more balanced Big10 offenses.

I am with you on Nate Gerry, I see him getting playing time this fall. If he is not on the opening kick off team against Wyoming I will be very surprised.

Vanderdoes should not be allowed to play this season. I'm sympathetic to whatever family situation he has going on he has going on but playing football is not a right. There is nothing stopping him from taking time off from school and/or football. If his family situation is really that pressing, taking time off probably is the right move anyways. He signed his NLI and he should be accountable to the consequences of that action NCAA made a mistake here.

THIS MAN GETS IT

First, Vanderdoes isn't even going to a school very close to his grandma, for a local perspective it's about like saying you are moving to Lincoln to be near your family when they live in Scotts Bluff. Second, as you said, what about this situation calls for him to play this year? If anything wouldn't the situation call for him to not play rather than be wrapped-up in the responsibilities of football? He should be shirting, like much of his class will be doing anyway. This was a stupid call by the NCAA and it will create more work for them down the road with others that see this and figure they can state as good a case.

You guys a re missing the main point: Vanderdoes had to appeal not to play this season but to avoid losing a year of eligibility AND having to sit out a year. ND's HC Brian Kelly wouldn't release EV from his scholarship so he could transfer normally. That's a d-bag move by a d-bag coach. The kid hasn't even set foot on your campus yet, but he should have to sit out a year and lose a year because some coach is unhappy the kid wants to transfer?

NCAA got it right here. I think the rule that allows schools and coaches to allow or not allow a scholarship release needs to remove removed. Why should they get to screw around with the kid's future? (Note that there are still rules requiring a kid to sit a year after transferring, and I'm not suggesting lifting those. Also most conferences have stricter rules for transferring within the conference.)

• Fire 1

I'm not missing any point. And I take Brian Kelly's side on this issue. The principle of the NLI commitment is more important than any individual kid. And it doesn't really make sense that your justification for the ruling is that the rule should be different. You can justify anything that way. If there is a problem with the way the process works, then it needs to be changed.