UCLA Game worries

You guys may be in a no win situation here. If you lose, well you lose and no one likes losing, but I think UCLA will be a much better team than it was last year, but I don't think the national perception is there for them, so if you win it will just be "Nebraska beat a decent team" and no one will know how good UCLA is till they run through their schedule; meanwhile no one will remember to say Nebraska beat a very good UCLA team later on in the season.

Of course as UCLA fan I am happy that Vanderdoes got the waiver. But is it really that important? Will a true freshman D-lineman make that big of an impact? Perhaps yes but perhaps no. Plus I do not get the feeling that the NCAA's ruling is going to open any floodgates of recruits changing their minds AFTER the NLI has been signed and submitted. Of course I could be wrong.

I'm not missing any point. And I take Brian Kelly's side on this issue. The principle of the NLI commitment is more important than any individual kid. And it doesn't really make sense that your justification for the ruling is that the rule should be different. You can justify anything that way. If there is a problem with the way the process works, then it needs to be changed.

Well, we'll just have to disagree then. I tend to side with the individual over institutional bureaucracy - so I disagree with your basic premise that some rule is more important than a kid. But that wasn't my point since the NLI commitment is not the point here. The point is that a player should be allowed to transfer schools, but a coach - who's supposedly helping young men learn and grow - just wants to stick it to him on the way out the door. Why does it matter if he transfers in July or in January? He loses a semester at the school he wants to attend, but the school he's leaving doesn't lose much because he's going to leave anyway.

Yes, I think the rule should be different, but that's not my justification. As I explained, there are already checks and balances for players transferring, so why does the coach/school get to restrict a player arbitrarily? It's ridiculous. And yes, the process does need to be changed.

• Fire 1

This seems like what should have happened was that after you sign your NLI you are attached to the school. If you want to leave, then you are subject to the same transfer rules as if you had transferred at any other time during the year. You sit out a year, but you aren't losing any of your eligibility. It sounds like he might have lost a year (regarded as a sophomore) at the beginning (what with Kelly not releasing him), but after he was released he should have ran into the same transfer policies that every other player has to deal with.

He sits out this year, but is still able to play 4 years.

This seems like what should have happened was that after you sign your NLI you are attached to the school. If you want to leave, then you are subject to the same transfer rules as if you had transferred at any other time during the year. You sit out a year, but you aren't losing any of your eligibility. It sounds like he might have lost a year (regarded as a sophomore) at the beginning (what with Kelly not releasing him), but after he was released he should have ran into the same transfer policies that every other player has to deal with.

He sits out this year, but is still able to play 4 years.

Agreed. You've spelled it out more clearly than I have.

But what if I sign a letter of intent to go to a school which is 1,000 miles away from where I live and then there is a serious illness in my family and I want to be closer to home. I have not been "stolen" by another school. It is just that the factors in my decision to choose the distant school have now changed. As long as the recruit has to prove that his or her case is unusual I have no problem with it.

And to the comment made somewhere in this site that Vanderdoes is not really close to home because Auburn, CA is about 370 miles from Westwood, the point is that there are many flights from LAX to the Bay Area and they are all about one hour, so he would be about one hour from home, air travel-wise.

But what if I sign a letter of intent to go to a school which is 1,000 miles away from where I live and then there is a serious illness in my family and I want to be closer to home. I have not been "stolen" by another school. It is just that the factors in my decision to choose the distant school have now changed. As long as the recruit has to prove that his or her case is unusual I have no problem with it.

And to the comment made somewhere in this site that Vanderdoes is not really close to home because Auburn, CA is about 370 miles from Westwood, the point is that there are many flights from LAX to the Bay Area and they are all about one hour, so he would be about one hour from home, air travel-wise.

So say this illness doesn't happen right after I sign my NLI. What happens if it is the first day of fall camp when I find out about a family illness? Should I be able to get off scott free then as well? What about two weeks into the season? I think at some point the line needs to be drawn and technically that is when you sign your NLI. I think this is what has people upset.

So say this illness doesn't happen right after I sign my NLI. What happens if it is the first day of fall camp when I find out about a family illness? Should I be able to get off scott free then as well? What about two weeks into the season? I think at some point the line needs to be drawn and technically that is when you sign your NLI. I think this is what has people upset.

I think a better place to draw the line would be first week of classes. It's possible for any other student to get registered for classes up to and including the first week of classes. If I can transfer to a school that wants me, why should another student be punished simply because they play football?

I've seen many posts where Nebraska fans say that the Cornhusker defense will be faster this year. What is this based on? Observations of practices? Statements by coaches? Faster players being promoted to starting positions? I'm not saying the Cornhuskers will not be faster - I just curious how people know that now.

Wouldn't you have to see the team in game conditions when you can compare its speed to the opposition's to really know if it is faster than the previous season? Or can you tell by what you see or hear from reliable sources prior to the season?

Watching film of these guys who committed the last few years it is very apparent. Go compare highlights of Compton, Fischer, Whaley, Rome, Meridith, Smith etc.in high school compared to guys like Santos, Anderson, Afalava, Banderas, Newby, Gregory, McMullen.Cooper, Jackson. Not to mention the speed of the Freshman safeties we've brought in, although how much they see the field remains to be seen. My eye is somewhat untrained, but it doesn't take long to see the difference (I think it is that big of a leap forward).

Nate Gerry. I dont know why, but I've never been so jacked up to see a particular young man enter the program. So many are excited bout the likes of Newby, Adam Taylor, and Johnny Stanton. But for me, Nate Gerry is who I am really excited to see. Just reminds me so much of Matt O'Hanlon, and we could use a missil like that out of the secondary against these more balanced Big10 offenses.

Yeah I agree. Only O'Hanlon was able to overcome his lack of prototypical size. Gerry is just a beast. The sky is the limit for this kid with his work ethic and mental aptitude.

Owa's being out for the season should increase the likelihood that Eddie Vanderdoes will see more action earlier. How much more action and how much earlier is difficult to tell. I hope he plays in the Nebraska game because that would be a good gauge of his talent.

Vanderdoes should play a lot during 2013. I do not think that the UCLA coaching staff is thinking of reshirting him due to injuries to the DL. This is just my guess.

Owa done for the season.

That line gets keeping thinner and younger.

Our offense - turnovers + Memorial Stadium X UCLA defense = 40-45 points.

Hard to believe he's already a senior. For all the hype he received and all the hoopla surrounding his recruiting, he sure hasn't done much.

Owa done for the season.

That line gets keeping thinner and younger.

Our offense - turnovers + Memorial Stadium X UCLA defense = 40-45 points.

Hard to believe he's already a senior. For all the hype he received and all the hoopla surrounding his recruiting, he sure hasn't done much.

That would be what is called a bust. NU has had a few of those from time to time.