UCLA Game worries

Owa had a hip injury and in the spring they had to go in to remove scar tissue so it is unknown what his status is. The advantage of having Eddie Vanderdoes is that Mora and Co. can now redshirt Owa if need be.

A true freshman at DT in his first big time environment going against one of our All-American guards???

I like our chances to be able to run the football.

• Fire 1

So, UCLA doesn't have ANYONE behind Owa other than a true freshman? I would be very surprised.

Here is one Bruin fan's PROJECTED D-Line depth chart.

UCLA DEFENSIVE LINE 2013

DE: Cassius Marsh 6’3” 260 SR; Brandon Willis 6’1 275 JR*; Kylie Fitts 6’4” 270 ; Sam Tai 6’3” 275 SR*;

NT: Ellis McCarthy 6’4” 6’5” 330 SO; Seaali’I Epenesa 6’1” 310 SR ; Kenneth Clark 6’2” 305; Brandon Tuliupupu 6’1 286

DE: Eddie Vanderdoes 6’4” 305 ; Owa Odighigizawa 6’3’ 268 SR *; Keenan Graham 6’1” 255 SR*; Eli Ankou 6’3” 290 FR*; Nate Iese 6’4” 243 FR

So, UCLA doesn't have ANYONE behind Owa other than a true freshman? I would be very surprised.

Owa plays DE, Vanderdoes plays DT. Not sure who they have behind Owa, but I don't think it's a true freshman.

I vaguely remember reading that they lost another lineman to injury and are very thin and/or young.

The "thinness" and/or "youth" of the D-Line are the reasons that those who follow the Bruins closely are very excited about Vanderdoes' availability. He fits nicely into an area that was previously a concern. Also, many followers of the Bruins expect Cassius Marsh to have a big year.

One interesting question re the Bruin D-Line is which DE will line up on the same side as LB Anthony Barr most of the time. The theory is that a very quick Cassius Marsh paired on the same side of the line as Barr could present problems to offenses. Time will tell. Also, Barr does not always play on the same side - he flips around.

I think I like our OL chances against a frosh in Vanderdoes. Actually, its not even a thought. Its more like a, I know our OL will curb stomp the DL of UCLA.

There is also a thread in the recruiting forum on Vanderdoes, if you want to read in there as well. You might be able to add more input on whatever they may be talking about there.

I don't understand people saying they think UCLA will score 40-50 on our D this year. They only scored 36 last year and it was at their place with a better team. They lost Franklin and don't have a great replacement for him. They lost Fauria who had 2 TD's and was a matchup nightmare in the game last year. Devin Lucien had a few big plays (3 rec, 70 yards) but nothing major. Shaq Evans did nothing thanks to Josh Mitchell. They basically have the same receivers back and we have the same corners so I'm not too concerned there. I just think for them to put up that many points this year our D will have to be a lot worse than it was last year and I just don't think that is possible. Our coaches have a lot more film to look at now so they should be better prepared. Our D (esp. LB's) should be faster, so that disadvantage should be minimized. You can point to our D line being a weakness but I don't remember it being all that great last year (Rome/Stein, combined 2 tckls) so that seems like a bit of a wash. I still think UCLA will put up some points but I guess I'm not as worried as some people.

• Fire 1

I am not too concerned about this game. UCLA was able to surprise a lot of people last year because they weren't sure what Mora was going to bring as the coach. They lost their stud RB and TE, who both torched NU. I am sure their QB will have some success due to his mobility, but I don't see UCLA stopping NU's offense, especially with the game being played in Lincoln.