Sam Keller's lawsuit against EA/NCAA

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread:

EA Sports "NCAA Football" lawsuit update: Lawyers gettin' paid
The EA Sports/NCAA Football and Ed O’Bannon lawsuits were in the news again, followed dutifully by CBS Sports’ Jon Solomon. There was a court filing today and Solomon offered new information as to just how all the settlement cash will be spent. Spoiler alert: the lawyers are getting paid.

I hope it was worth it Sam....

Zombie thread:

The EA Sports/NCAA Football and Ed O’Bannon lawsuits were in the news again, followed dutifully by CBS Sports’ Jon Solomon. There was a court filing today and Solomon offered new information as to just how all the settlement cash will be spent. Spoiler alert: the lawyers are getting paid.

We'll never see a college video game again.

Zombie thread:

The EA Sports/NCAA Football and Ed OBannon lawsuits were in the news again, followed dutifully by CBS Sports Jon Solomon. There was a court filing today and Solomon offered new information as to just how all the settlement cash will be spent. Spoiler alert: the lawyers are getting paid.

https://twitter.com/JonSolomonCBS/status/587958316657160192

https://twitter.com/JonSolomonCBS/status/587960718626070528

http://footballscoop.com/news/ea-sports-ncaa-football-lawsuit-update-lawyers-gettin-paid/

We'll never see a college video game again.

My favorite game...Madden just isn't the same

• Fire 1

College football was a great game. Madden is horrible. Keller just got his panties in a twist because he isn't making millions in the NFL and is/was trying to use this as his meal ticket.

He was a moron who got conned by the lawyers. They walk away with a small fortune. A better agreement could have been created, but idiots listened to the "millions of dollars" in "damages" but I am sure there was never a clear breakdown of how much per person, and too many people are not smart enough to ask ahead of time.

• Plus1 1

Loved the game but maybe EA should have just made rosters without actual players. Although they were getting bad at making improvements to the game anyways.

The conferences pulled their licences. So no actual venue, or color scheme could have been used. It would not be worth the dev cost at that point.

• Plus1 1

I never have figured out the a animosity towards Keller on this other than if you liked the game.

Then, we have lots of fans supporting players being paid in college.

If you're someone that falls into both camps it makes no sense.

I think players deserve something but yeah, this killed College Football video games. That is a really crappy ending.

Loved the game but maybe EA should have just made rosters without actual players. Although they were getting bad at making improvements to the game anyways.

The conferences pulled their licences. So no actual venue, or color scheme could have been used. It would not be worth the dev cost at that point.

I read it was EA not wanting to renew the NCAA licence. They were actually going to make a college football game without licenses similar to the way FIFA games have teams/leagues that aren't licensed, but then stopped once they realised fans probably wouldn't want to play a college football game where they can't actually 'play as their favorite team.'

I read it was EA not wanting to renew the NCAA licence. They were actually going to make a college football game without licenses similar to the way FIFA games have teams/leagues that aren't licensed, but then stopped once they realised fans probably wouldn't want to play a college football game where they can't actually 'play as their favorite team.'

Nope. The Conferences started yanking the rights as soon as this hit the media and the piling on over 'likeness' started to mount. EA killed it after the names were gone. There is much more fault with the NCAA than EA also, as EA had broached escrowing some money as a delayed payment to players after they graduated, and the NCAA declined.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

College football was a great game. Madden is horrible. Keller just got his panties in a twist because he isn't making millions in the NFL and is/was trying to use this as his meal ticket.

He was a moron who got conned by the lawyers. They walk away with a small fortune. A better agreement could have been created, but idiots listened to the "millions of dollars" in "damages" but I am sure there was never a clear breakdown of how much per person, and too many people are not smart enough to ask ahead of time.

Yes, he may not have got much, but if he doesn't want them to make money of his name, it's his right.