expansion news

So with the news of a possible reshuffle of tiers would it be in the Big Tens best interest to shoot for a couple more teams now or wait and see?

No one worth getting right now--GORs have reduced the pool to virtually no one worthwhile. Maybe UConn?...does the American Conference have a GOR?

Of course, the B1G could poach a GOR team and try to break it, but they would be destroying the GOR the B1G and all other conferences of substance have in place...thus creating a free-for-all in expansion and relocation.

And frankly, when Texass wants to leave, they'll break GORs in court--they'll have to, as the rest of the Big XII will sue for their lives.

I believe the SEC is the only major league without a GOR clause in place. Frankly why would they need one, nobody is leaving the SEC. Notre Dame hasnt officially joined the ACC yet and Jim Delaneys love affair with the Irish isnt a secret. Maybe that bridge has burned to rubble but the possibility of ND dropping a tier could coherce them into a confernce.

It may lead ND into a conference but it won't be the B1G.

Agreed. That ship has sailed.

And poaching of SEC teams is possible. There was talk before this year that Missouri was still interested in hopping in bed with the B1G, but didn't have a moving buddy (and we all learned from Toy Story the importance of having a moving buddy).

Somehow, I think Missouri is content being in the SEC now.

So with the news of a possible reshuffle of tiers would it be in the Big Tens best interest to shoot for a couple more teams now or wait and see?

No one worth getting right now--GORs have reduced the pool to virtually no one worthwhile. Maybe UConn?...does the American Conference have a GOR?

Of course, the B1G could poach a GOR team and try to break it, but they would be destroying the GOR the B1G and all other conferences of substance have in place...thus creating a free-for-all in expansion and relocation.

And frankly, when Texass wants to leave, they'll break GORs in court--they'll have to, as the rest of the Big XII will sue for their lives.

I believe the SEC is the only major league without a GOR clause in place. Frankly why would they need one, nobody is leaving the SEC. Notre Dame hasnt officially joined the ACC yet and Jim Delaneys love affair with the Irish isnt a secret. Maybe that bridge has burned to rubble but the possibility of ND dropping a tier could coherce them into a confernce.

It may lead ND into a conference but it won't be the B1G.

Agreed. That ship has sailed.

And poaching of SEC teams is possible. There was talk before this year that Missouri was still interested in hopping in bed with the B1G, but didn't have a moving buddy (and we all learned from Toy Story the importance of having a moving buddy).

Somehow, I think Missouri is content being in the SEC now.

Being they just competed for a SEC championship and could have possibly played for a NC, I'd say they are doing just fine where they are.

If the B1G is going to expand again I think they are going to look for teams in this order:

Population/TV sets

Research dollars

Football prowess

Basketball prowess

Boston College, Kansas, Georgia Tech are all good ideas...but they're behind GORs. And if Delaney is worried about losing anyone in the B1G once GORs are broken...he won't be the one to break them.

And we know that all three of those schools have been looked at by the B1G. I think Kansas, if (when) Texass blows up the Big XII, is a given.

Of course, with no GORs able to be enforced, anarchy reigns supreme. Who will be certain the B1G will remain intact if that takes place?

Big 12 is open to raiding. The conference never got stable enough for the league to fully uphold any GORs in my opinion. So perhaps two schools, West Virginia and KSU to go with Kansas? Iowa State maybe.

If the B1G needs to expand for the sake of expansion, they could go this route if that is all there is to do.

None of the states you listed has a large TV audience for BTN to expand into. Or they are already there.

Big 12 is open to raiding. The conference never got stable enough for the league to fully uphold any GORs in my opinion. So perhaps two schools, West Virginia and KSU to go with Kansas? Iowa State maybe.

If the B1G needs to expand for the sake of expansion, they could go this route if that is all there is to do.

None of the states you listed has a large TV audience for BTN to expand into. Or they are already there.

If OU and Texas come as a package its to the Pac 12. OU MAYBE solo to Big Ten. Otherwise what large TV market is available that isnt handcuffed to a league by a GOR? And how is Kansas City not a big market?

Before 2013 Mizzou was still a slim option. Now that they exposed the SEC as human while falsely showcasing themselves as world beaters, they arent goi g anywhere. I would expect a TV market school and a basketball school next. Georgia Tech and Kansas maybe.

My guess is Boston College

GOR aside, UCONN fits the BUG profile as a public state school. Only the ACC wants urban private schools.

Everyone needs to remember the Big Ten looks for AAU membership (unless your ND or a big time football program, OU,FSU), new markets, contiguous states, and land grant schools are a plus. All of these schools are behind GORs, but I would list Kansas, Texas, Missouri, Virginia, NC, GT and ND would still be welcome I am sure. OU and FSU if they have a good partner. I heard FSU is close to applying for AAU status. Outside of Texas imploding the Big12, I wouldn't look for much to happen for about 10 years.

If OU and Texas come as a package its to the Pac 12. OU MAYBE solo to Big Ten. Otherwise what large TV market is available that isnt handcuffed to a league by a GOR? And how is Kansas City not a big market?

If Kansas City was a market they thought was viable, Missouri would have been in the B1G before Nebraska. I am not saying it isn't a big market but it seems Delaney wants to focus more to the East Coast.