Looking to start a movement. Let's black-out the stadium against UCLA. I'm not talking about ruining our tradition and the Sea of Red. I'm talking about one game to set the tone for the season. The players will be wearing Black Alternate uniforms so why shouldn't the fans in attendance. Lets face it, the young Defense will need all the support it can get this year and what better way than to represent our Blackshirts. The Bruins wouldn't know what to think when they come here to play against what will be an athletic and fast defense with a crowd that could be more intimidating than we've ever imagined it can be. Even if you don't get the chance to attend the game itself I urge everyone to help spread the word towards the cause. Here is the facebook link to help promote this idea. Lets strike the fear of the Blackshirts into the Bruins. Go Big Red! https://www.facebook...77994085635266/

Because NU does not have black as one of the two school colors. I am also opposed to the players wearing alternate uniforms. Gimmicks don't win games. Coaching, talented players, effort and pride wing games. I, for one, will be clad in Husker Red.

Who is saying that jerseys win games? Or gimmicks?

Then, why where them?

To give fans something to bitch about. And, for the record, white isnt a school color either.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the 60+ folks get a bad rap, and there aren't that many of them here to defend themselves. The people who usually complain about "messing with tradition" are actually mostly 25-40-year-olds who came to believe via message boards that Nebraska's titles came mainly from a bunch of North Platte walk-ons, that Nebraska has worn the exact same helmet and jersey since 1892, and that Frank Solich was created from one of Devaney's ribs.

The actual older people that I've been around could care less about the uniforms. They either don't even pay attention to uniforms or might make a passing comment like "those black helmets were pretty neat". Also, more than half of the people I've seen telling others to sit down are under 50.

I had a long drawn out response but realized that was unecessary. The main problem is that every football fan thinks they are are smarter than the next so sarcasm plays out alot in these boards. Honestly I regret even starting this thread. Wear red. Its funny that makes some peole feel like more of a fan than the guy wearing black. I didnt mean to offend anyone who wasnt being a sarcastic snob so take that for what its worth.

It's not that, but Landlord hit the mark when he said that a grassroots attempt is only realistically going to get a few people here and there to wear black in the grand scheme of things. The black'out isn't achieved and the only thing that happens is the sea of red is diluted. Kind of a disappointing half measure. I'm sure your enthusiasm is admirable, but for all the energy expended towards these and related movements the only options you're really looking at is a more solid Sea of Red and a less solid Sea of Red.

I think most of us would prefer the former. Not that a true, universal, or even student section black'out wouldn't be neat. Take it easy man.

I had a long drawn out response but realized that was unecessary. The main problem is that every football fan thinks they are are smarter than the next so sarcasm plays out alot in these boards. Honestly I regret even starting this thread. Wear red. Its funny that makes some peole feel like more of a fan than the guy wearing black. I didnt mean to offend anyone who wasnt being a sarcastic snob so take that for what its worth.

It's not that, but Landlord hit the mark when he said that a grassroots attempt is only realistically going to get a few people here and there to wear black in the grand scheme of things. The black'out isn't achieved and the only thing that happens is the sea of red is diluted. Kind of a disappointing half measure. I'm sure your enthusiasm is admirable, but for all the energy expended towards these and related movements the only options you're really looking at is a more solid Sea of Red and a less solid Sea of Red.

I think most of us would prefer the former. Not that a true, universal, or even student section black'out wouldn't be neat. Take it easy man.

Student section should be a done deal. Stadium wide is going to be rough.

Just in case you get on Jeopardy!, the current Bruin uniforms are what is called "true blue" (no longer powder blue) and gold, not yellow. Perhaps it's not as exciting as red and white (the colors for at least 15 other teams) but we Bruin fans really like it. I can't think of another team that has our exact colors. Am I wrong?

Colorado Buffaloes in the early 80's

COXXUC8284cJPG.jpg

and outside of college, the Chargers, Denver Nuggets, Milwaukee Brewers in 70's and 80's, Seattle Mariners in 70's and 80's (what was with the 70's and powder blue?)

I'm not calling the color scheme common, by any means, just answering your question. I like the colors.

In fact, I think the colors look particularly good on knee socks:

2170825911_ca693f1f5c_m.jpg

yes. yes they do.