2013 NFL Discussion Thread

Mavric

The thing where the guy in the yellow circle gives his teammate a push into the Jets line.

For more information, here's Mike Reiss with referee Jerome Boger:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4751565/referee-jerome-boger-explains-call

Please explain the penalty that was called on No. 94 [Patriots defensive tackle Chris Jones] on the field goal.

Boger: The call was that No. 94 on the defense pushed his teammate into the formation. That is a rule change for 2013 that a teammate cannot push a teammate into the opponents’ formation.

Is it any type of push? Is it a two-handed push?

Boger: Any push. It could be with the body, not necessarily with the hand, but with the body into his teammate, into the formation. It’s any type of pushing action.

Is there anything else to go over with this penalty?

Boger: No, the umpire’s flag went up almost instantaneously as he observed the action. We just enforced it as he called it.

And that’s a 15-yard penalty ...

Boger: For unsportsmanlike conduct.

Tony Romo has 27,485 passing yards, the most in NFL history by a player in his first 100 career starts.

Saw that stat as well. Pretty impressive that Marino is still third even though that's 30 years ago. I might have guessed there would be more recent guys on that list. I know Marion was ahead of his time but 274 yards per game isn't unheard of in today's NFL.

This game is making football appear unenjoyable.

That was one of the worst football games I think I've ever seen, and that includes having seen the Jags play once this year. That was just bad, all the way around, for both teams. The Vikings don't know how to get a good QB to save their life. Their best QB in the last 10 years was 93 years old and only had one good year in him.

At this point, they should just hope that 1) they're so bad they can draft a decent QB other than Christian Ponder type and 2) they get some really good defensive players.