Huskers NOT in Sports Illustrated Preseason Top 25

I think it's a result routinely suffering blow out losses on national television. That's likely when the average college football fan/sportswriter/ect. is going see Nebraska play, or when Nebraska is going to get more national exposure in general. If that's all you see from a team, you're not going to expect much from them.

If we would have lost by 1 or 2 scores to Ohio State and Wisconsin, with the same record, we would probably be pretty close to a consensus preseason top 10 team.

So basically, I think it's a result of lazy journalism.

• Fire 3

Really shows how smart some mags/people aren't. Look at our schedule with out offense only. If we are as good as we were at defense last year, which I expect us to be much better, we will get 9-10 wins again. That should get you in the Top 25.

I think it's a result routinely suffering blow out losses on national television. That's likely when the average college football fan/sportswriter/ect. is going see Nebraska play, or when Nebraska is going to get more national exposure in general. If that's all you see from a team, you're not going to expect much from them.

If we would have lost by 1 or 2 scores to Ohio State and Wisconsin, with the same record, we would probably be pretty close to a consensus preseason top 10 team.

Very much this, although I think it's more "sending a message" than lazy journalism. They're punishing teams for lackluster play here. Okie Lite is picked by some to win the Big XII and they have them unranked as well.

What they are smoking to rank Mich St #15 is beyond me.

"They have a really good defense"

That's what everyone says about them, nationwide.

Too bad Sparty has nothing on offense. They ranked 75th in Rushing Offense last year, and that was their highest major category ranking. They lose Le'Veon Bell and replace him with... nobody.

And it's too bad we hung 473 yards on them at their house last year, and they have to come to Lincoln this year.

But whatever. We don't get blown out three times last year and we're not unranked to start the season. It's our own fault.

Very much this, although I think it's more "sending a message" than lazy journalism. They're punishing teams for lackluster play here. Okie Lite is picked by some to win the Big XII and they have them unranked as well.

I also remember them having Nebraska ranked to the moon in years like 2002, 2007, and 2011. I even remember in 02 a line saying something to the effect of "Rumors of Nebraska's demise are overblown, if anything, it will be like to 13th in the nation"

So yeah, they're wrong a lot.

@Andy_Staples: When ranking, I’m trying harder to keep from considering schedule. The rankings need to be about who is better, not who has the easiest path

That still doesn't explain MSU, VT, Northern Illinois, and Texas being ranked that high or ranked at all.

Andy should really just keep his mouth shut, he's making himself look like a huge tool.

Do you not follow him on twitter much? He's a giant flaming a-hole. He goads people, he talks down to them, basically acts as if everyone responding to him is an idiot.

He's just one journalist with an opinion, but by God you had better never question his opinion or he'll let you have it.