***2015 Recruiting***

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the staff. I think they did about as well as they could given the limited time. Grabbed positions of need and guys who have potential.

But I don't see anything outstanding - unless Barnett plays to his original ranking. It's not like we were stealing guys that Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc. were after. Yeah, some of them looked to have some good offers but reported offers don't mean a whole lot. If you knew for sure which offers were committable, that would be a different story. But looking at who most of these guys were committed to or who they were deciding between and you see that we were almost always their best offer - and usually by quite a ways.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the staff. I think they did about as well as they could given the limited time. Grabbed positions of need and guys who have potential.

But I don't see anything outstanding - unless Barnett plays to his original ranking. It's not like we were stealing guys that Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc. were after. Yeah, some of them looked to have some good offers but reported offers don't mean a whole lot. If you knew for sure which offers were committable, that would be a different story. But looking at who most of these guys were committed to or who they were deciding between and you see that we were almost always their best offer - and usually by quite a ways.

Neither did DPE.

Now, not even 1 out of every 10 3* will end up like him. But it's possible. Why I don't like star rankings or even offers. If you watched the kid's film, there were a ton of people talking about how special he was going to be before he got here.

Outside of Mav, (no, I refuse to include Matty as a serious poster in this forum), I haven't seen any of you complainers in here in the last year. Please shush - or watch a kid's film before you complain. I am happy with the way this is shaking out, and I've been following recruiting for a while.

So if you don't post constantly, there is no chance that you follow recruiting closely?

Outside of Mav, (no, I refuse to include Matty as a serious poster in this forum), I haven't seen any of you complainers in here in the last year. Please shush - or watch a kid's film before you complain. I am happy with the way this is shaking out, and I've been following recruiting for a while.

So if you don't post constantly, there is no chance that you follow recruiting closely?

Didn't say that - I said I'm questioning your credibility :)

To actually add to the conversation, I'll say that I agree with Mav. These last few commits seem like reaches and don't give me a buzz. There is no use being disappointed though, it's like the guys who were writing off coach Riley a week after he was hired. You don't know how he'll do until he coaches some games, and we won't know how these recruits will do until they are in the system for a year or two.

Neither did DPE.

Now, not even 1 out of every 10 3* will end up like him. But it's possible. Why I don't like star rankings or even offers. If you watched the kid's film, there were a ton of people talking about how special he was going to be before he got here.

Yes. There are exceptions. There probably will be in these guys this year. A lot of people were pretty exited for Jamal Turner as well but that hasn't panned out. There are success stories and failures using every method. But we have quite a few long shots at the moment.

Neither did DPE.

Yes. There are exceptions. There probably will be in these guys this year. A lot of people were pretty exited for Jamal Turner as well but that hasn't panned out. There are success stories and failures using every method. But we have quite a few long shots at the moment.

This doesn't bother me the most. I get that they had to scramble and needed to get what they could with what little time they had.

Over signing and forcing our staff to 'make the math work' in order to take guys that are long shots is what does it for me.

Neither did DPE.

This doesn't bother me the most. I get that they had to scramble and needed to get what they could with what little time they had.

Over signing and forcing our staff to 'make the math work' in order to take guys that are long shots is what does it for me.

Lol, we have not oversigned. Oversigning is what Tennessee and the $EC does. We do not. We are currently looking at ending 1-2 guys over, and to plan for zero attrition (ESPECIALLY) during a coaching change is silly.

Also, do not agree with long shots. Who are we calling a long shot? The only one I see out of the commits that was a long shot was Reed (imo), and I still think he can be coached up. Davis seems to be rubbing people the wrong way - PLEASE watch that kid's film. He's raw, but if you don't see RG4 I don't know what you're watching.

We have the makings of a Disney movie!!!!!

I like the raw talent aspect or a lot of the kids. You can't coach speed and I think there is upside. Isn't Davis a 1-2 year player? Reed will make an interesting peso position player....I just like the hype and buzz...it's a feel good and I am still impressed he kept most of the big guys. Yes bo recruited them but he's managed to convince them to stay.

Neither did DPE.

If you are currently getting little production out of a player and there is little upside, isn't it worthwhile to replace him with someone who you think has potential? If the new player doesn't pan out, you haven't lost anything and if he does you have upgraded the roster. Why not take a chance to upgrade the roster instead of standing pat with a non-contributor?

Neither did DPE.

Lol, we have not oversigned. Oversigning is what Tennessee and the $EC does. We do not. We are currently looking at ending 1-2 guys over, and to plan for zero attrition (ESPECIALLY) during a coaching change is silly.

Also, do not agree with long shots. Who are we calling a long shot? The only one I see out of the commits that was a long shot was Reed (imo), and I still think he can be coached up. Davis seems to be rubbing people the wrong way - PLEASE watch that kid's film. He's raw, but if you don't see RG4 I don't know what you're watching.

So, when the SEC does it it's shady, when Nebraska does it it's a natural part of a coaching change. I understand.

And if you see a RG4 in our 2-star DE with a Sun Belt offer list, then there's no use arguing with you.

• Fire 1

We should always sign to the 88 (85+3) that the B1G allows. Every spring/summer there are going to be 3-5 guys leave the program or go on medical. And there are probably going to be ~2 each year who don't qualify or don't show up.

Not signing full classes puts you on a self imposed probation.

I should also add when we seem to be higher than the 88, I trust that the coaches know that guys are already gone, but it just hasn't hit the media yet.

When you go back and look at the past 3-4 recruiting classes and look at the top recruits how many of our previous 'top recruits' ended up providing meaningful contributions? This is the first and foremost trend we need to buck.

There are VERY few non-contributors that will be juniors and seniors this fall. The only one I'd put in that category is David Sutton and he might get a new shot with more TE usage.