***2015 Recruiting***

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the staff. I think they did about as well as they could given the limited time. Grabbed positions of need and guys who have potential.

But I don't see anything outstanding - unless Barnett plays to his original ranking. It's not like we were stealing guys that Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc. were after. Yeah, some of them looked to have some good offers but reported offers don't mean a whole lot. If you knew for sure which offers were committable, that would be a different story. But looking at who most of these guys were committed to or who they were deciding between and you see that we were almost always their best offer - and usually by quite a ways.

Neither did DPE.

Now, not even 1 out of every 10 3* will end up like him. But it's possible. Why I don't like star rankings or even offers. If you watched the kid's film, there were a ton of people talking about how special he was going to be before he got here.

Yes. There are exceptions. There probably will be in these guys this year. A lot of people were pretty exited for Jamal Turner as well but that hasn't panned out. There are success stories and failures using every method. But we have quite a few long shots at the moment.

This doesn't bother me the most. I get that they had to scramble and needed to get what they could with what little time they had.

Over signing and forcing our staff to 'make the math work' in order to take guys that are long shots is what does it for me.

Lol, we have not oversigned. Oversigning is what Tennessee and the $EC does. We do not. We are currently looking at ending 1-2 guys over, and to plan for zero attrition (ESPECIALLY) during a coaching change is silly.

Also, do not agree with long shots. Who are we calling a long shot? The only one I see out of the commits that was a long shot was Reed (imo), and I still think he can be coached up. Davis seems to be rubbing people the wrong way - PLEASE watch that kid's film. He's raw, but if you don't see RG4 I don't know what you're watching.

So, when the SEC does it it's shady, when Nebraska does it it's a natural part of a coaching change. I understand.

And if you see a RG4 in our 2-star DE with a Sun Belt offer list, then there's no use arguing with you.

Yeah who'd want a kid like this? :blink:

Also, do not agree with long shots. Who are we calling a long shot? The only one I see out of the commits that was a long shot was Reed (imo), and I still think he can be coached up. Davis seems to be rubbing people the wrong way - PLEASE watch that kid's film. He's raw, but if you don't see RG4 I don't know what you're watching.

Reed definitely. I'd put Davis in that category as well. He's undersized (for his height) and he's only played football for a year. That being said, I LOVE offering him because he's the perfect player to fill out this class - an under-the-radar guy with really good potential. But that doesn't change the fact that he's got a lot of work to do to get there. I also won't be surprised if Sykes gets lost in the shuffle like Joesph seems to be.

I think we see Sykes on KR his FR year. Dude has SPEED. Him and Demornay back there would be nightmares.

I guess I should have just stopped my response at the word "lost".

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the staff. I think they did about as well as they could given the limited time. Grabbed positions of need and guys who have potential.

But I don't see anything outstanding - unless Barnett plays to his original ranking. It's not like we were stealing guys that Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc. were after. Yeah, some of them looked to have some good offers but reported offers don't mean a whole lot. If you knew for sure which offers were committable, that would be a different story. But looking at who most of these guys were committed to or who they were deciding between and you see that we were almost always their best offer - and usually by quite a ways.

Neither did DPE.

Now, not even 1 out of every 10 3* will end up like him. But it's possible. Why I don't like star rankings or even offers. If you watched the kid's film, there were a ton of people talking about how special he was going to be before he got here.

Yes. There are exceptions. There probably will be in these guys this year. A lot of people were pretty exited for Jamal Turner as well but that hasn't panned out. There are success stories and failures using every method. But we have quite a few long shots at the moment.

This doesn't bother me the most. I get that they had to scramble and needed to get what they could with what little time they had.

Over signing and forcing our staff to 'make the math work' in order to take guys that are long shots is what does it for me.

Lol, we have not oversigned. Oversigning is what Tennessee and the $EC does. We do not. We are currently looking at ending 1-2 guys over, and to plan for zero attrition (ESPECIALLY) during a coaching change is silly.

So, when the SEC does it it's shady, when Nebraska does it it's a natural part of a coaching change. I understand.

And if you see a RG4 in our 2-star DE with a Sun Belt offer list, then there's no use arguing with you.

Just saw this response.

RG4 was a low 3-star with offers from Toledo, Ball St, and Illinois St. But hey, facts - no use arguing with you.

Neither did DPE.

I think you're having a hard time comprehending the difference. We sign to fill out spots. An SEC team will oversign with guys they want and tell other players that were on scholly that they won't be anymore. Basically kicking some of them out of school b/c many probably cannot afford to go to school without the scholly.

In the past Bo would sign up to 85 and use rest of schollies to use on walk ons they felt deserved them. We were always at the limit of 88 any given year. The staff this season has decided to not use the extra schollies for walkons and instead use them to sign guys. So lets just say it may break down FR-23, SO-22, JR-21, SR-22 for total of 88.(Numbers just for illustration)

The SEC does it this way. We have SO-24, JR-22, SR-21. We right now have 33 commits to sign. That would put them at 100. So, we need to get rid of 12 schollies to make the 88. Let's see, there's 3 SRs, 2 JRs, and 4 SOs not producing enough. See ya suckers!! Good luck but you are not on scholly anymore. You are welcome to try out for the team and can make it again but you will have to pay for school either way, or else you will just have to go somewhere else. Now they got rid of 9 schollies but need to get rid of 3 more. Well, there's 3 kids in the signing class we really aren't all that high on, so we are going to tell them on signing day that their LOI will not be accepted and they will have to figure something else out.

So, would you say there's a difference now???

However, things in the SEC are going to be changing now that schollies will be on a 4 year basis. It's really going to making the recruiting field much more fair across the board. I think this is the last year they can really get away with their old style of things which is why you will see many big recruiting classes and many teams trying to get rid of "dead weight" in their programs.

At no point in the fall can a team have 88 scholarships, so unless I'm not understanding you correctly, this is not possible. Nebraska was attempting to over sign by quite a bit by counting early enrollees towards last year and trying to use the Big 10's plus 3 rule to over sign by as many as 7 players if we wanted. Some recruits went elsewhere late, which means Nebraska is likely to over sign by about 3 players.

I know it's fun to paint the entire '$EC' as dirty, but they aren't doing it any differently than Nebraska tried to do this season. Sure, Tennessee seems to have a lot of fun with their numbers, but the top of the conference (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn) over sign just like us. The difference with them, and why they can take such large recruiting classes each year, is because they typically send 3, 4, or even 5 underclassmen to the NFL each season. Thus, their classes tend to be in the upper 20s after their NFL attrition, which we rarely deal with, plus their natural within-the-rules over signing. So don't go off painting an entire conference as dirty when they aren't doing things any differently than Nebraska is currently trying to do.

Neither did DPE.

I understand your point, and it's certainly possible for the kid to end up an All-American like Randy Gregory, but it is highly unlikely. Do you remember this guy? What about this guy? Or him?

That's because for every RG4 there are 25 3-Star players that don't have stellar careers. Now, I really do hope the Davis is the gem at DE Nebraska needs. He has a nice frame and might develop into a good football player. But chances are it's not going to happen.

Neither did DPE.

I think you're having a hard time comprehending the difference. We sign to fill out spots. An SEC team will oversign with guys they want and tell other players that were on scholly that they won't be anymore. Basically kicking some of them out of school b/c many probably cannot afford to go to school without the scholly.

In the past Bo would sign up to 85 and use rest of schollies to use on walk ons they felt deserved them. We were always at the limit of 88 any given year. The staff this season has decided to not use the extra schollies for walkons and instead use them to sign guys. So lets just say it may break down FR-23, SO-22, JR-21, SR-22 for total of 88.(Numbers just for illustration)

The SEC does it this way. We have SO-24, JR-22, SR-21. We right now have 33 commits to sign. That would put them at 100. So, we need to get rid of 12 schollies to make the 88. Let's see, there's 3 SRs, 2 JRs, and 4 SOs not producing enough. See ya suckers!! Good luck but you are not on scholly anymore. You are welcome to try out for the team and can make it again but you will have to pay for school either way, or else you will just have to go somewhere else. Now they got rid of 9 schollies but need to get rid of 3 more. Well, there's 3 kids in the signing class we really aren't all that high on, so we are going to tell them on signing day that their LOI will not be accepted and they will have to figure something else out.

However, things in the SEC are going to be changing now that schollies will be on a 4 year basis. It's really going to making the recruiting field much more fair across the board. I think this is the last year they can really get away with their old style of things which is why you will see many big recruiting classes and many teams trying to get rid of "dead weight" in their programs.

At no point in the fall can a team have 88 scholarships, so unless I'm not understanding you correctly, this is not possible. Nebraska was attempting to over sign by quite a bit by counting early enrollees towards last year and trying to use the Big 10's plus 3 rule to over sign by as many as 7 players if we wanted. Some recruits went elsewhere late, which means Nebraska is likely to over sign by about 3 players.

I know it's fun to paint the entire '$EC' as dirty, but they aren't doing it any differently than Nebraska tried to do this season. Sure, Tennessee seems to have a lot of fun with their numbers, but the top of the conference (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn) over sign just like us. The difference with them, and why they can take such large recruiting classes each year, is because they typically send 3, 4, or even 5 underclassmen to the NFL each season. Thus, their classes tend to be in the upper 20s after their NFL attrition, which we rarely deal with, plus their natural within-the-rules over signing. So don't go off painting an entire conference as dirty when they aren't doing things any differently than Nebraska is currently trying to do.

Neither did DPE.

I understand your point, and it's certainly possible for the kid to end up an All-American like Randy Gregory, but it is highly unlikely. Do you remember this guy? What about this guy? Or him?

That's because for every RG4 there are 25 3-Star players that don't have stellar careers. Now, I really do hope the Davis is the gem at DE Nebraska needs. He has a nice frame and might develop into a good football player. But chances are it's not going to happen.

Uhhh wut? To refute our point, you go link to random other 3 star DE's? I don't follow how that works.

Neither did DPE.

Neither did DPE.

Uhhh wut? To refute our point, you go link to random other 3 star DE's? I don't follow how that works.

That was the idea. Everybody remembers the 3 star player who becomes an All-American (Gregory), nobody remembers the hundreds who dont. You weren't supposed to recognize them.

Do we have to worry about any NSD drama? I feel like it has been low-key this year. Anyone to be concerned about?

Doesn't look like it. The only thing would be waiting for Talan's announcement but I think he's :bigredn: .

Shocked if anyone leaves.

I take full responsibility for Sykes, Mav. I jinxed us.

• Fire 1