Fowler's take

As long as you aren't blaming Tmart for either of those as one was the wr breaking the wrong way and the other play shouldn't have been called and should have been blown dead.

Interesting quote from Rich Fisher (seems to me Fisher is defending his guy without specifically calling Martinez out)......"Fisher said. “Burtch was fine. He ran the right route. I wouldn’t say it’s on anybody. Burtch did the right thing.”"

I think he zigged when he should have zagged on that one.

As long as you aren't blaming Tmart for either of those as one was the wr breaking the wrong way and the other play shouldn't have been called and should have been blown dead.

Interesting quote from Rich Fisher (seems to me Fisher is defending his guy without specifically calling Martinez out)......"Fisher said. "Burtch was fine. He ran the right route. I wouldn't say it's on anybody. Burtch did the right thing.""

I think he zigged when he should have zagged on that one.

Well, apparently Martinez threw the zag on a zig route.

Most of you forget Wyoming has been making a game plan for us since the beginning of fall camp, hell probably spring. Christensen is also very familiar with us from being at Missouri. They also opened up there entire playbook. They ran so many different plays it was crazy. They took advantage of a young defense that most have never played a snap here in their life. The numbers were inflated too, if the offense didn't do such dumb mistakes the D wouldn't have been out there half the time. I'm not worried, and Bo is definitely not worried, so why should we? Y'all will be drinking the kool aid next week when these players wake up and take everything out of southern miss. I bet they don't score. So after we win 63-3 then we can see how everyone feels

63-3 has me feeling better already. Excellent news. I too have more concern with the offense. Little things. Balls on the ground, bad throws/communication, another 9-10 penalties with 85+ yards, poor blocking, lack of overall motivation, urgency and pride.

Most of you forget Wyoming has been making a game plan for us since the beginning of fall camp, hell probably spring.

Just like every other mid-major or FCS team that opens up the season with one of the big boys. I don't think anyone has lost sight of that, it just doesn't justify the half-hearted performance.

Overall, 2 different defenses with 2 different squads and only 1 shared trait in 1 single game.

Well I think that's the brunt of the issue, then. You mentioned two discrepancies - missed tackles and yards allowed, but that's a very narrow view that ignores some things. Missed tackles, poor pursuit angles, inconsistent d-line pressure, non-existent linebackers in the run game and a d-line that got overpowered in the run game. Though it appears this group of players has the potential to be better than their predecessors, and they actually looked good at times applying pressure even though they couldn't get to the QB, these are repeating issues that have not only spanned from last year but the year before.

So yes, we can chalk a lot of this up to being inexperienced. But, there's more than just one discrepancy that carried over from the year previous. Although these are new players, MANY issues remain present. At this time, people are trying to find the balance between what this says about our players (is it inexperience?) and our coaches (is it bad coaching?)

I'd agree with you if we had more than one game to show a trend being carried through...honestly, there was more good that I saw come out of that game. The boneheaded mistakes were just REALLY boneheaded.

Take out 5 minutes of that game on Saturday and we'd be relatively happy with the new defense performance. Take away 11 plays out of 74 they ran and they'd have been just above 400. While that isn't great it's pretty damn good for a new and inexperienced defense against a very good QB and an OC with excellent game plans. Have us keep Smith to 83 yards like we did in the 3rd quarter instead of giving him 200 in the 4th and we'd be singing a different tune.

There is more right with this years defense. It tells me that comparisons to last years nosedive shouldn't even be entertained. Now if next few games we have more of the same, I'd be inclined to agree with you. Until then, I reserve judgement of trending until observation supports it.

You'll get no argument from me about some of the really boneheaded mistakes. I guess it's just a difference of perspective. I see our last three games - where we gave up more than a mile of total offense - and notice that we're making the same mistakes with different (but not entirely different) players. And those mistakes can be extended to 2011. Although the defenses are somewhat exclusive, the two do have some things in common - some of the same players and many of the same coaches. I'm not saying it's all inclusive, because I do acknowledge the differences and the rampant youth. But, the similar tendencies stand out to me more even if there are some new faces out there.

Personally, I think where we ended the third quarter should have been our entire stats for the game - about 21 points and 400 yards. But, you're right, some very boneheaded players and all of a sudden those numbers blew up.

We almost lost this game trying to be too secretive. It's going to cost Bo his job if he does this much more. It's just plain stupid.

If we almost lost this game from anything it was turnovers that cost us points and gave possession back to Wyoming. Pelini is not in danger of losing his job, nor should we want that to happen. We came close to running off Osborne and running off Solich cost us a bowl streak.....and a whole lot more.

Basically, we saw a continuation of the 2012 season. 2012 was plagued with terrible defense and lots of turnovers. The most concerning thing to me was how flat we came out and played. It was the home opener for crying out loud!

'12 UCLA = Loss, CCG Wisconsin = Loss, Georgia = Loss, '13 WYO = WIN. Looks more like a trend has been broken to me, basically.

"Rich Fisher said tonight that they came out with a whole new defensive scheme that we were not prepared for. Leads back to what i said above, if someone comes out with something we didnt expect, we dont know what to do."

We never seem to make the correct adjustments. This is what happens when you promote your inexperienced friend to Defensive Coordinator, to lead the most storied defensive unit (Black Shirts) in college football history, a scant 8 years after he served as an intern.

Most of you forget Wyoming has been making a game plan for us since the beginning of fall camp, hell probably spring. Christensen is also very familiar with us from being at Missouri. They also opened up there entire playbook. They ran so many different plays it was crazy. They took advantage of a young defense that most have never played a snap here in their life. The numbers were inflated too, if the offense didn't do such dumb mistakes the D wouldn't have been out there half the time. I'm not worried, and Bo is definitely not worried, so why should we? Y'all will be drinking the kool aid next week when these players wake up and take everything out of southern miss. I bet they don't score. So after we win 63-3 then we can see how everyone feels

And, we had an equal amount of time to develop a defensive plan, you know the little things like tackling, reading offensive sets, learning how to actually put pressure on the QB and looking back for the ball on pass defense.

And, we had an equal amount of time to develop a defensive plan, you know the little things like tackling, reading offensive sets, learning how to actually put pressure on the QB and looking back for the ball on pass defense.

If you don't think we got pressure Smith you need to go back and watch.

"Rich Fisher said tonight that they came out with a whole new defensive scheme that we were not prepared for. Leads back to what i said above, if someone comes out with something we didnt expect, we dont know what to do."

We never seem to make the correct adjustments. This is what happens when you promote your inexperienced friend to Defensive Coordinator, to lead the most storied defensive unit (Black Shirts) in college football history, a scant 8 years after he served as an intern.

You've said this same exact thing in every other thread about the defense this week. Just stop already...

• Fire 1

You've said this same exact thing in every other thread about the defense this week. Just stop already...

No, let him keep going. I love how the quote from Fisher in regards to the offensive struggles at times is somehow morphed into the defensive side of things. I get a good chuckle

• Fire 1

No, let him keep going. I love how the quote from Fisher in regards to the offensive struggles at times is somehow morphed into the defensive side of things. I get a good chuckle

You mean the golf coach that coaches the WRs which is probably the deepest position on our team???? Damn. What a sh#t hire.