Offense says they got their wake-up call

knapplc

Overall we play too passive, allowing the opponent to dictate too much to us in all three phases of the game. These coaches need to get let these guys loose, to play with aggression and passion. Too much workman-like drudgery out there.

Wasn't this the main problem that everyone had with the Cosgrove "read and react" i.e. "get punched in the face and figure out how to respond" defense? I thought we were supposed to be passed this by now...

We brought some sort of blitz or stunt on about half the plays in the first half (I haven't charted the second half). We totally changed our punt scheme to be more aggressive and had a guy averaging about 35 yards per kick return. The offense wasn't the most dynamic but how many times before Saturday have we seen a jet sweep look with Enunwa, a true lead option look, a tight end lined up in the guard-tackle gap in an H-Back look or two tight ends in the diamond formation. I simply do no feel that the statements about being too passive or basically mailing this game in are accurate. They are simply an over-reaction to being unhappy about the result.

As someone else said, better the first game, to get the eyes open. But like Knapp says, if it continues several games this year, Bo is going to feel the seat get very hot.

With the youth on defense, the errors on offense, theirselves and former players calling them out, it will change soon or it is never going to. If we had to have this type of a game, it is best to have it now, so that all are aware of what is needed to be done. My guess is, that if Bo has not been as involved as we think he is in the defense, he will be the next 10 days.

Have a major training ride today, 90 miles in 100 degree temperatures is going to be fun, not. Will let you guys figure it out so I can read about it when I am done.

I think Bo will figure this out.

And to put something in the post that I do not see as often as I used to.

Go Big Red!!!!

How many years have we been hearing the players talking about "finishing"? Why does this seem to be such a recurring theme? I remember the 2010 season when players where wearing those red rubber bracelets with the word "finish" on them. Didn't help then and I am skeptical that it's going to happen now.

Here's the zombie thread about it.

In 1994 The team used a slogan "Unfinished Business" It worked out pretty well for them.

I'll admit that I was over-confident for the Wyoming game.

The reason I was over-confident is because I thought there was no way in hell this Nebraska team could be over-confident. Not against any team on any given Saturday. And not with so much to prove after the way last season ended.

Prediction: Nebraska beats Southern Miss and answers roughly 64% of our questions, leading to another lively week on HuserkBoard.

I'll admit that I was over-confident for the Wyoming game.

The reason I was over-confident is because I thought there was no way in hell this Nebraska team could be over-confident. Not against any team on any given Saturday. And not with so much to prove after the way last season ended.

Prediction: Nebraska beats Southern Miss and answers roughly 64% of our questions, leading to another lively week on HuserkBoard.

No questions will be answered against Southern Miss. Look what we did to them last year? Didn't mean anything as the season progressed. We could shut them out, allow 80 on the ground and very few of us would be any more confident going into UCLA. No questions will be answered until mid-November...although a few dominant showing could raise some hope. However, giving up 600+ to UCLA would probably answer the question of whether or not Wyoming was a fluke, or a continuation of our defensive struggles the last 18 months.

• Fire 2

If Bo doesn't get this figured out this year, and we have the same problems and mistakes throughout this season and into next, he's going to find out how Cosgrove felt circa 2007.

Pretty big talk considering what Pelini has accomplished. Feel free to let me know when Pelini has a losing season and (or even "or") misses a bowl.

If Bo doesn't get this figured out this year, and we have the same problems and mistakes throughout this season and into next, he's going to find out how Cosgrove felt circa 2007.

Pretty big talk considering what Pelini has accomplished. Feel free to let me know when Pelini has a losing season and (or even "or") misses a bowl.

Shawn Watson's offenses were pretty good three of the four years he was our Offensive Coordinator and he was shown the door. A winning or losing record isn't the only reason a coach may be let go or encouraged to move on.

I have and continue to be a Pelini supporter. I have some confidence that he has a plan about this year and he is bringing along these young bucks. He has a ton of them in the front 7.

However, I have to agree with Knapplc here.

Shawn Watson's offenses were pretty good three of the four years he was our Offensive Coordinator and he was shown the door. A winning or losing record isn't the only reason a coach may be let go or encouraged to move on.

Coordinators are a different ballgame than head coaches. In addition to his W-L record, Pelini runs a good program, and Eichorst is a smart guy. You want problems......try revisiting 2003. I've got confidence we are nowhere ready to do that.

I want the Oregon O type of mentality. They have the pedal to the metal the WHOLE game. No matter if they are up 3 or 50. Never give the other team any hope (just look at their 66-3 game this weekend).

The same should go for the defense as well. Pelini needs to get his teams to take care of business against weaker opponents. The Wyoming game was shades of 97 Central Florida, 98 LA Tech or even 2010 SDSU. On the flip side Pelini teams do prepare well for teams that are ranked...until bad things happen in the game.

Coordinators are a different ballgame than head coaches.

Head Coaches can be terminated at any time - just depends on the buyout.

Bear in mind - I don't think this is remotely likely to happen. Just saying it could. I agree about the direction of the program and how Bo's running the ship. But those blowout losses or statistical nightmare games cannot simply be overlooked because Bo does a good job off the field.

Coordinators are a different ballgame than head coaches.

Head Coaches can be terminated at any time - just depends on the buyout.

Bear in mind - I don't think this is remotely likely to happen. Just saying it could. I agree about the direction of the program and how Bo's running the ship. But those blowout losses or statistical nightmare games cannot simply be overlooked because Bo does a good job off the field.

Yes, sorry.....I wasn't referring to the business side of assistant coaches/head coaches. Assistant coaches often go to a different school because of head coaching hires. I don't think Pelini is remotely likely to be fired either. Your post just didn't sound quite that way to me. Nebraska has a history that we can look at for the risk/reward of the head coach.....just look at the Osborne situation compared to the Solich situation. Let's hang on to Pelini.

How many years have we been hearing the players talking about "finishing"? Why does this seem to be such a recurring theme? I remember the 2010 season when players where wearing those red rubber bracelets with the word "finish" on them. Didn't help then and I am skeptical that it's going to happen now.

Here's the zombie thread about it.

In 1994 The team used a slogan "Unfinished Business" It worked out pretty well for them.

Please don't bring 1994 into this conversation. It's insulting to them.