So.....who ya gonna get?

arkiehusker

I don't know who the right person is, I really don't, but it is time for the next step back to prominence. I really like Bo and much about him but he has served his purpose. He helped get us part of the way back. Now it is time to find the coach that ia going to do more than beat the teams that everyone beats.

Some people think that must mean the person saying it thinks they could do a better job. FYI-I would suck coaching college ball. That's not the point. The point is there are guys that can get more out of Nebraska football than this staff of first timers has been able to achieve. Yes, I fear another Callahan type hire. But what I fear more is mediocrity, apathy, complacency, and acceptance that this is as good as the Nebraska Cornhuskers can do. It is not. Our fans and tradition deserve better.

• Fire 2

I like that Pat Fitzgerald idea.

So you're saying we should hire Scott Frost. Nice!

No, Pat Fitzgerald.

With Tommy and Johnny we might need a guy with experience running a 2 QB system. :lol:

Do you think Fitzgerald would actually go to another team in the same conference? I do think he is a good coach, but would he realistically come here?

Sure, why not. I know it's not really a Big Ten tradition. But the Big Ten has a lot of stupid traditions.

Not gonna lie. For the first time in Bo's tenure I jumped on the fire the whole staff bandwagon. I think that Bo does run a good ship, and he has done a decent job recruiting. Those are the positives.

That said, I agree with many others in this thread who have argued that Bo needs to hire some proven coordinators. We got quite frankly lucky last year, and it is time for some seasoned leadership.

Guys I would pull the trigger and hire:

Chris Petersen

Gary Patterson

Charlie Strong

Pat Fitzgerald

Guys I would interview:

Kirby Smart

Scott Frost

Guys I don't like but have been mentioned:

Paul Johnson

Al Golden

James Franklin

Bill O'Brien

The point is Bo needs to get it together or he is gone. I commend him on 6 years of trying...but he is not cutting it.

• Fire 1

2 things...

We have a relatively new AD, who probably isn't looking to make waves with his new job. As much as I hate it, he will not be the one to fire Bo or make any coaching changes.

We need a coach (and staff) who have balls. Who won't let off the pedal with 6 mins left in the half and try and be conservative every end of every half. We need a coaching staff who on 3rd and long with 1 mintue left in the half and the other team has a timeout left, won't just concede by running the 3rd failed rush play of the series, but at least attempt a pass for a first down while our passing game was still working. We need a coach that realizes he has another very valuable tool in the cupboard for our running game and if option A isn't producing at a point in the game then put in option B and who is averaging about 8-10 yards per carry. (Pelini did it 2-3 yrs ago with Helu and Rex, why not try it again since it worked back in the day?) We need a coach who will adapt to change and make adjustments. But most of all, we need a coach with a set of cojones!!!

remember the 2008 season when Helu was a freshman? I think the coaches did a pretty good job that year of using RB's properly, for the most part. Sure, Marlon Lucky may have gotten a few extra touches since he was the senior, but Helu would come in, hurdle a dude, run some more, than get sat down as a nice change of pace. We also had Quentin Castille and he ended up being a force against Clemson in the bowl game. I just don't understand why we didn't use Imani more. He was and is a beast.

These threads crack me up because two guys that are almost always mentioned are Pat Fitzgerald or Chris Petersen. Like either one of these two are going to get a call from our AD, they'll drop their pop tarts, and say "Holy f*ck, Nebraska just called me, i'm going to drop everything and go coach there"

And we need multiple Scott Frost or Turner Gill or even Frank Solich for those desperate enough...

Thing of it is, we're not going to find somebody who's going to have the ability to right the ship that quickly...

Yeah, Fitzgerald has blown off interest from other big programs. He's not leaving the school he played at and loves to go to a divisional rival. There's no chance of that.

As for Chris Petersen, people should go read some of his comments about where he fits in and his self perceived strengths and weaknesses. He enjoys coaching and teaching and hates all the extra stuff that comes with being a head coach. If you think Bo doesn't like dealing with the media and the fish bowl part of the job, well Petersen makes Bo look like Mack Brown in comparison. I'd be shocked if he took a job like Nebraska.