Jason Peter's thoughts on Bo, and Nebraska football....

Posted this deadspin thread - Scott Shanle is on Unsportsmanlike Conduct right now. He said he doesn't remember his team in the early 2000's ever taking frustrations out on fans and media. Shanle said they understood Nebraska had a tradition of excellence, and any criticism they got for losing was because they weren't upholding that tradition.

Shanle on teams not doing full speed practices (paraphrasing) - players don't learn proper tackling angles and don't get comfortable making adjustments to an offensive player's movements. Running up and just hip tackling a player doesn't recreate the gameday speed, so when players try to make a full speed tackle in a game, they're not as prepared as they could be.

I think Peter has some very valid points here. I agree, Bo shouldn't be fired as a direct result of this audio "coming to light". However, the fact that we have a captain coming out and saying that there wasn't anything the team could do, and that the team always seems so flat on the sidelines are causes for concern, IMO.

Sure, he talks about "the glory days" a lot. But, so do a lot of people who post on here (myself included). I don't think he's a tool because of it. I think he just likes to remind people what the standard is b/c as Paul in WI pointed out, most younger fans have little perspective on those teams.

With Jason Peter it is not the message that is always bad, it is the way it was presented. The same goes for Tommie Frazier and Bo Pelini. Sometimes all three of them have no tact at all.

Jason Peter also talks about the glory days so much because that was the best time in his life and he likes hearing himself talk about it.

My problem is that Jason Peter thinks all the problems with Nebraska football are very easily solved. I just don't think that is the case. The football being played in 2013 is completely different than what was played in 1995. It was also different in 1975. Things are done differently now than then because the game is different and players are different.

Sure, a lot of the attitude and way of thinking from 1995 would translate to todays game, but you just can't turn it on like that.

• Fire 1

Shanle on teams not doing full speed practices (paraphrasing) - players don't learn proper tackling angles and don't get comfortable making adjustments to an offensive player's movements. Running up and just hip tackling a player doesn't recreate the gameday speed, so when players try to make a full speed tackle in a game, they're not as prepared as they could be.

Are you serious, we still don't do ANY full speed practices with contact? WOW

With Jason Peter it is not the message that is always bad, it is the way it was presented. The same goes for Tommie Frazier and Bo Pelini. Sometimes all three of them have no tact at all.

Jason Peter also talks about the glory days so much because that was the best time in his life and he likes hearing himself talk about it.

My problem is that Jason Peter thinks all the problems with Nebraska football are very easily solved. I just don't think that is the case. The football being played in 2013 is completely different than what was played in 1995. It was also different in 1975. Things are done differently now than then because the game is different and players are different.

Sure, a lot of the attitude and way of thinking from 1995 would translate to todays game, but you just can't turn it on like that.

Oh give me a break. People act like the forward pass was invented in 2000.

• Fire 2

I don't see why people give Jason Peter so much sh#t. Very compelling commentary on our current situation today.

I agree. I've always liked him and respected what he has to say and enjoy hearing what he has to say. Thanks for posting this. Good stuff. Love the Chris Spielman bit too. Another guy who I really like and respect.