***** Osborne Speaks *****

GSG

So because Tom knew about this a year ago it suddenly makes everything okay?

I'm failing to see the logic here...

Not OK. Just dealt with.

Don't you mean covered up? Tom wasn't going to make his second failed hire as HC look bad. How people forget that he is a politician baffles me.

Yes, I'm sure that story fits your narrative better.

Samuel McKewon@swmckewonOWH 14m

Tom Osborne's full statement: “I was asked for comments concerning the recent incident involving Coach (cont) http://tl.gd/n_1rnmn8l

Tom Osborne's full statement:

“I was asked for comments concerning the recent incident involving Coach Pelini by members of the press and felt that it was inappropriate to respond until University officials had reviewed the situation.

“After the comments were made public on Monday, I informed the Chancellor and Director of Athletics that I had become aware of the tape involving Coach Pelini last fall, about a year after the Ohio State game in 2011 when the comments were recorded. After I had listened to the tape I visited with Coach Pelini about it and expressed my concerns. Bo had not heard the tape at that time. I visited with all my coaches regularly about their conduct and language throughout my tenure as Athletic Director.

Rest of it is here

That's that

Did anyone honestly expect Osborne to say anything different that this? He's a good guy, no doubt. But he's also human, a politician and has a healthy ego. Many Husker fans are completely bought in on Pelini and he can do no wrong in their eyes. TO is the guy that hired Pelini and has more reason than anyone to defend him and by extension his own decision to hire him. So in my view this was entirely expected. TO's endorsement will buy Bo some time, but if he continues to lose games, especially in blowout fashion and/or more incidents like this come to light, I still think he gets the boot. So Bo is on a very short leash in my opinion. Osborne can only provide him with so much cover.

Did anyone honestly expect Osborne to say anything different that this? He's a good guy, no doubt. But he's also human, a politician and has a healthy ego. Many Husker fans are completely bought in on Pelini and he can do no wrong in their eyes. TO is the guy that hired Pelini and has more reason than anyone to defend him and by extension his own decision to hire him. So in my view this was entirely expected. TO's endorsement will buy Bo some time, but if he continues to lose games, especially in blowout fashion and/or more incidents like this come to light, I still think he gets the boot. So Bo is on a very short leash in my opinion. Osborne can only provide him with so much cover.

Bo is gone at the end of the year, he may have a chance if he can somehow bring a conference trophy home, but we all know that isn't going to happen. They are going to let the season unfold and after a few more blowout losses that will be the reason for him either to be found another job like Carl was, or just be released. This is all about not trying to have the same outcry that we had when Frank was fired a year early. You need to let the HC hang themselves to the point that even the most dull fan will accept a head coaching move.

Bo is gone at the end of the year, he may have a chance if he can somehow bring a conference trophy home, but we all know that isn't going to happen. They are going to let the season unfold and after a few more blowout losses that will be the reason for him either to be found another job like Carl was, or just be released. This is all about not trying to have the same outcry that we had when Frank was fired a year early. You need to let the HC hang themselves to the point that even the most dull fan will accept a head coaching move.

Welp, I guess you have some time freed up on Saturdays this fall - since the outcome is certain you must not need to follow the games. If you have tickets, can I have them?

• Fire 2

Why do you even cheer for the Huskers? I have never seen you post anything positive about them. You seem like you a just grouchy all the time.

• Fire 1

Why do you even cheer for the Huskers? I have never seen you post anything positive about them. You seem like you a just grouchy all the time.

just a realist knowing that unless Bo runs the table he probably is going to be gone at the end of the season. Bo isn't fooling us anymore with blowout losses with 9 win seasons. this program isn't getting any better but yet stagnating. If anything is going to change it has to be with on field performances and not just coach talk about getting better.

So because Tom knew about this a year ago it suddenly makes everything okay?

I'm failing to see the logic here...

OTOH, if the admin already knew about it and dealt with it, should Pelini be punished again just because the public found out?

I'm curious what his punishment was.

Of course, there is no punishment greater than knowing you disappointed Tom Osborne.

• Fire 1

Well, put me down as one of those "dull fans" I guess.

Even with the blowouts, I don't see a need to fire a coach that probably wins 10 games or more this year. Even if we don't make it to a CCG or lose that one again.

The most I expect is: At the end of the year pressure is brought to bear on the coordinators, and some changes are made there. Or new faces in other areas.

When we are winning this much, I think we are better served by analyzing the blowouts and doing what we can and should to make them go away. Obviously we are usually beating the average teams. We need to figure out what is keeping us from winning the big ones.

Do we still employ a sports psychologist like Jack Stark in the 90's? If so, that person may need to improve their work, or we may need additional input on the psych side.

It's a complex organization, and it could be one relatively minor part that causes a problem to magnify into other seemingly unrelated areas. We have a lot of well paid experts on board. If they can't sort it out in 3-5 years, then I'll be ready to change the entire staff and take the inherent risks that are associated.

• Fire 1

Aahhhhhh! A sane voice in the wilderness of Nebraska insanity! Thanks Tom!

If you caught Big Red Wrap Up last night you would've heard another 'sane' one-Damon Benning. Wow-It was cool to listen to Blake Lawrence and Damon speak out as players. Damon is so eloquent-it was a pleasure to listen to his take on the entire situation (e.g. tape and current state of NE football).

just a realist knowing that unless Bo runs the table he probably is going to be gone at the end of the season. Bo isn't fooling us anymore with blowout losses with 9 win seasons. this program isn't getting any better but yet stagnating. If anything is going to change it has to be with on field performances and not just coach talk about getting better.

Well since you and AF can tell what is going to happen at the end of the season, I could sure use some lotto numbers about right now.