Anyone anxious for Martinez to come back?

I was hoping we could get far enough ahead to bring him in- yes, I am anxious to see if he can lead us to a first down on our initial drive in a game. When he is healthy, I welcome him back, and it is good to know we have back ups to send in- if he falters.

In the post game presser, Bo said today was a good game to throw more stuff out there. IMO, Beck called a game to really gauge where TA was at in regards to ability to make reads, audible etc.... Bo said they came with pressure on every down. Was really unsure what looks we would even see.

Personally, TA is the future, BUT a healthy (100%) Martinez will start. TA has gotten some good experience. If Martinez is healthy against the gophers, I would give him reps to knock off the rust and make sure he is 100%, but then continue to give TA the majority to keep him ready and improving. Also put more on film for the gauntlet of the B1G after Minnesota for teams to think of if we run him in for a series or 2 down the stretch.

I was expecting a knee-jerk reaction at the first sign of trouble.

All the "bench Martinez" threads after every loss over the last three years have trained you well.

True, that's how it always is. I feel like I've been very patient with Martinez; recommending off-season pass coaching, de-emphasis on his need to make decisions under pressure. I don't put players on a pedestal in the first place and I actually expect them to struggle at times, but when it becomes a predictable pattern then it's time to try something else. I'll give Armstrong and Kellogg the same benefit of the doubt. Kellogg ,by the way, played an outstanding game today....but you won't hear that from the 'Martinez has a beautiful suit' crowd.

I think that immediately we need to remove the long-passing game from the Tommy Armstrong playbook. Wait until he proves he can hit those targets consistently before we turn him loose again. Ohio State did it with Braxton Miller his first year.

Why didn't we see more Option with Tommy? The kid just seems to get Option football. But no, let's turn him into Joe Friggin' Montana out there. Beck's decisions leave me scratching my head. A lot.

I think it's good that we tried that in a game like this. Obviously he's way overshooting receivers, but what bothers me more is my misjudgment of our receiver's ability to get the ball. You always tend to exaggerate the ability of your own guys but I think I was way off...these guys are nothing special compared to the players on any other top conference team.....certainly no Biletnikoffs out there. I think you're right that we need to run a more ball-controlled and manageable offense that fits what we can do well. Armstrong is capable of throwing over the top but I doubt you want that to be the main plan. Really the same applies no matter the quarterback.

If Martinez does come back this season then he needs to start at Minnesota. After being out so many games the guy needs to get warmed up before we go into November.

On the road is even better. That way, when he struggles in the first quarter to get back in the groove by shaking off the rust by not scoring td's on all of the first umpteen possessions, he wont be bood out the stadium.

Another point that I can't recall being addressed in this "It's Taylor's job when he's healthy" talk is the rust factor. Folks, we're gonna be at 6 weeks when the Minnesota game comes around since Taylor has taken a game snap, assuming he's back for that one. If he's not, do you want him seeing game action immediately against NW or a guy(s) that's been taking all the game snaps? The rust factor is huge to me, not only for Taylor, but for the staff, receivers, everyone. There's a lot more to it than just putting him in there. But I really hope he gets healthy, and I hope it's in time for Minnesota so he can get that rust shaken off and we can get things rollin for the home stretch.

I'm not as worried about rust from a four-year starter. As long as he practices the week before the game I think he'll be fine.

not even worried about him being out of condition?

Another point that I can't recall being addressed in this "It's Taylor's job when he's healthy" talk is the rust factor. Folks, we're gonna be at 6 weeks when the Minnesota game comes around since Taylor has taken a game snap, assuming he's back for that one. If he's not, do you want him seeing game action immediately against NW or a guy(s) that's been taking all the game snaps? The rust factor is huge to me, not only for Taylor, but for the staff, receivers, everyone. There's a lot more to it than just putting him in there. But I really hope he gets healthy, and I hope it's in time for Minnesota so he can get that rust shaken off and we can get things rollin for the home stretch.

I'm not as worried about rust from a four-year starter. As long as he practices the week before the game I think he'll be fine.

The conditioning actually is something I'm NOT worried about. I've heard he's been running and doing some work out drills, but that it's the switching directions and taking off that caused aggrevations. That's also the biggest problem to his particular skillset.

Martinez is a physical specimen, the last thing I would worry about is him being out of shape. If he can run 4.3 then ,assuming he would try to run, we'd see an explosive offense...at least until we played a good defense that boxed him in and he started running around our backfield like his hair was on fire. Who knows...maybe he'd learn from this and come back composed? Whatever the qb situation, I'm still not sure we have the overall talent to beat the best teams in the conference.

I think that immediately we need to remove the long-passing game from the Tommy Armstrong playbook. Wait until he proves he can hit those targets consistently before we turn him loose again. Ohio State did it with Braxton Miller his first year.

Why didn't we see more Option with Tommy? The kid just seems to get Option football. But no, let's turn him into Joe Friggin' Montana out there. Beck's decisions leave me scratching my head. A lot.

No way! Tommy throws a beautiful long ball and our offense is set up perfectly for that, especially off the playaction. Plus, on those throws, it's low risk, high reward.

With the communication issues it's the shorter throws that I'd think about scaling back, and to rely more on the running game.