Anyone anxious for Martinez to come back?

And our offensive juggernaut having 3 and outs played no hand either

Our offense didn't go three-and-out before Wyoming's final two TDs in that quarter.

Seriously - what games are you watching?

Correct, the offense did not go three and out before the Cowboys two TDs in the fourth.......but Martinez turned it over twice. The three and outs were saved for 3Q UCLA when we desperately needed a first down.

Correct, the offense did not go three and out before the Cowboys two TDs in the fourth.......but Martinez turned it over twice. The three and outs were saved for 3Q UCLA when we desperately needed a first down.

Taylor's two turnovers mean nothing if the defense doesn't quit against Wyoming.

Taylor gave that same defense an 18-point lead against UCLA. Nothing Taylor would have done - short of doubling his already great day after getting injured - would have won that game.

Keep trying these leaps of logic. It's entertaining watching it crash.

tTHWLmU.gif

Taylor's two turnovers mean nothing if the defense doesn't quit against Wyoming.

Taylor gave that same defense an 18-point lead against UCLA. Nothing Taylor would have done - short of doubling his already great day after getting injured - would have won that game.

tTHWLmU.gif

tTHWLmU.gif

I'm not here for "jabs".......and I fully understand and am completely aware of our defenses struggles. The subject here was not the defense, it is the underperformance of the offense with Martinez at quarterback. Two specific examples this season are the two turnovers in the Wyoming game and our 3Q inefficiency in the UCLA game. Again, I'm not talking about the defense.....this thread and my post are about my preference of Armstrong over Martinez.

I love seeing Armsrong get good playing time. Today kindda was a come back down to earth reminder that he is still young. I love the way he runs the option, but a few other runs I was wishing (healthy) Martinez had the ball because he would have been gone. If a big game were next week I guess I would want Martinez as I think that he is better suited at this time for the big game.

I believe that the offense as a whole takes on the personality and tends to play like its leader. The picture is larger than simply looking at the individual abilities of TM, TA, or RK3 and making a choice.

.....and when I think about it that way, no....I am not anxious for Taylor's return. I've really enjoyed watching the team over the past few weeks. The offense feels more like the Nebraska football that I know and love. It is far from perfect, but I'm finding myself far less frustrated with the offense than any time in my recent memory.

Agree

Agree and keeping drives alive and making plays i/e showing some consistency not only gives your offense and team confidence it also gives your entire team momentum. Also the Taylor 'improvement' this year is hardly plausible since we've only seen him play in 3 games this year one of those being a loss.

I'm not here for "jabs".......and I fully understand and am completely aware of our defenses struggles. The subject here was not the defense, it is the underperformance of the offense with Martinez at quarterback. Two specific examples this season are the two turnovers in the Wyoming game and our 3Q inefficiency in the UCLA game. Again, I'm not talking about the defense.....this thread and my post are about my preference of Armstrong over Martinez.

You're not talking about the defense now, after those points were refuted.

If you're going to cherry-pick drives and claim that, in ineffective drives Martinez was ineffective, then you're going to be right 100% of the time. But you don't get to pick and choose some drives and not others. You want to conveniently forget that Martinez led Nebraska on scoring drives to give Nebraska 37 points and a 16-point lead with 5:26 remaining in the Wyoming game, and he led them to an 18-point lead against UCLA on three fantastic TD passes.

I can play that game, too: If you take away all of Tommy's & RKIII's scoring drives, both have been completely ineffective.

Bring on Ryker Fyfe!!!

I do agree that the offense takes on the personality of the QB to some degree. With TM in, it seems we are kind if jittery and jumpy. Just not as smoooooth as one would hope w a 5th yr senior. To some degree, for whatever reason, my personal level of anxiety has gone down when TA or RKIII drop back to pass.

However, TM has been in the big stadiums, played in and out of leads and pressure (whether self inflicted or not.) he is a serious weapon w arm or legs.

I think the Oline has gelled, the defense has grown up quite a bit, and my hope is that Talyor will be back stronger than ever without pressing too hard to make up for lost time. That's my only fear, really. Even if he turns it over, or has fits and starts...I still trust him at the helm more than 1st yr starter.

You're not talking about the defense now, after those points were refuted.

If you're going to cherry-pick drives and claim that, in ineffective drives Martinez was ineffective, then you're going to be right 100% of the time. But you don't get to pick and choose some drives and not others. You want to conveniently forget that Martinez led Nebraska on scoring drives to give Nebraska 37 points and a 16-point lead with 5:26 remaining in the Wyoming game, and he led them to an 18-point lead against UCLA on three fantastic TD passes.

I can play that game, too: If you take away all of Tommy's & RKIII's scoring drives, both have been completely ineffective.

Bring on Ryker Fyfe!!!

I wasn't talking about the defense because this thread and topic is about Martinez and Armstrong. And of course I "cherry picked"......because I am specifically referring to the times when Martinez was ineffective. Therefore, those times must be "cherry picked". Armstrong had 3 picks yesterday. Not good, but we've got to get him game experience......including on the road. At the end of the day, I am tired of Martinez' turnovers. Our offense has looked more ineffective than it should with Martinez in there this season.

Your going to get sick of Tommy's turnovers pretty soon because even in the first two games when everybody was anointing him as the greatest QBof all time he was making the same bad throws he made today. He just wasn't paying for them because those defenses were terrible. He won't have that luxury anymore.

I think that immediately we need to remove the long-passing game from the Tommy Armstrong playbook. Wait until he proves he can hit those targets consistently before we turn him loose again. Ohio State did it with Braxton Miller his first year.

Why didn't we see more Option with Tommy? The kid just seems to get Option football. But no, let's turn him into Joe Friggin' Montana out there. Beck's decisions leave me scratching my head. A lot.

This. Armstrong is capable of being a good passer. His HS tape shows that he has the skills. Today was a bad game throwing the ball, but most people agree that he'll get there as a passer. Now, until he does, why are we going all pass happy when TA runs the crap out of the option and when we're pounding the ball when (there were only glimpses of this unfortunately) we weren't stuck in predictable play calling? When Purdue didn't know what was coming, they were getting mauled and run over. When they knew we were going to do a toss off tackle, they shut it down. The play calling really contributed to much of the struggles on offense today. That said, we scored 40+. Not a bad day, but it really should've been a lot smoother than it was. Put Armstrong in too many spots to throw deep when high percentage passes would've been the way to go. I know he missed on a few short passes too, but they're called "high percentage" for a reason. He'll hit them more often than not. Then that can open up the field. Not making excuses for poor throws, as Beck isn't out there throwing the football, but the playcalling was suspect at times. Perhaps had this game been called differently, Armstrong would've had a better day and nobody (a bit much to hope for but at least not many) would be losing their sh#t on the board.

What other game should he be working on his passing, a close nail biter? You learn from your mistakes and it's obvious Purdue is terrible and barely better than a HS team. This is exactly the game we want TA working on his Joe Montana

• Fire 1

Your going to get sick of Tommy's turnovers pretty soon because even in the first two games when everybody was anointing him as the greatest QBof all time he was making the same bad throws he made today. He just wasn't paying for them because those defenses were terrible. He won't have that luxury anymore.

Yes, and Martinez has been known for his passing ability, right? I understand it may be too early to know much, but have you seen Armstrong fumble on contact or throw those awkward looking pitches on the option?