SJB - Targeting Rule discussion

Nobody

To me, the problem is that there are lots if helmet to helmet hits during a game, and you can't call some but not the others. That gives rise to serious issues. Also, the fact that defenders are making split second decisions with the offensive player moving makes it more egregious, especially when an offensive player lowers his head. What is the defender supposed to do (and/or what can he do)?

Posted in another thread but here is a screen grab. Kind of blurry but you can see SJB's helmet hit the Purdue player's facemask.

Can't really tell much from the photo above. But the gif below makes it look more like SJB hit with the shoulder. To me anyway. LINK

nebraskatargeting_medium.gif

The Purdue RB's head didn't even snap back. That was a total bullsh#t call if you ask me.

Good call.

from that angle, it looks like he did take his head back and hit with his shoulder/neck area. His forearm might have been in there too,

It's a haphazardly enforced rule with good intentions that is ruining the game. The game is supposed to be decided by the strategy of the teams and the skill of the players not by the feelings and ability of officials to determine intentions. Same could be said about Kenny's shhh gesture. I'm afraid those who say this is the beginning of the end may be right. Not many people are going to continue wanting to watch a sport where the outcome is determined by the equivalent of French and Russian judges scoring gymnastics.

sjb made a form tackle at a high speed.

A form tackle includes wrapping up which didn't happen in this hit. I highly doubt that someone gets called for targeting if they really do form tackle someone (hit, wrap, drive). Too often players are looking for the big hit and launching their bodies without proper form and that is as much on the coach as the players. I am not saying that SJB launched his body in this case.

It happened to a houston player in week 2. It was a DB who was like 5'9" and he went to sack a 6'4" QB. He hit the QB as he was throwing and didn't even knock the QB down and got ejected. He never left the ground and had his head up straight, but because he was shorter, the top of his helmet hit the bottom of the QB's facemask. And the announcers even praised the call. They're covering for the officials and this rule (as did the BTN guys last night).

Like I've said in other threads, you can see from other angles he's trying to lead with his shoulder, but his helmet comes in and makes contact with the lower part of the guy's facemask. With SJB's head turning down (which you can clearly see here), that's helmet to helmet contact with the crown and it's an automatic ejection. The rule sucks, as it wasn't intentional or malicious, but it is what it is.

Edit - Btw, bringing up other hits in this game, or others, does nothing to support anyone's opinion on the SJB hit. They're completely unrelated. Just because other hits are called right or wrong has nothing to do with SJB's hit. If some guy slaps his wife around and nobody does anything, that doesn't necessarily mean you slapping your wife around will end up with the same result.

Posted in another thread but here is a screen grab. Kind of blurry but you can see SJB's helmet hit the Purdue player's facemask.

Can't really tell much from the photo above. But the gif below makes it look more like SJB hit with the shoulder. To me anyway. LINK

nebraskatargeting_medium.gif

The Purdue RB's head didn't even snap back. That was a total bullsh#t call if you ask me.

Nice pic there. If that is illegal, lets just play flag football.

It's a haphazardly enforced rule with good intentions that is ruining the game. The game is supposed to be decided by the strategy of the teams and the skill of the players not by the feelings and ability of officials to determine intentions. Same could be said about Kenny's shhh gesture. I'm afraid those who say this is the beginning of the end may be right. Not many people are going to continue wanting to watch a sport where the outcome is determined by the equivalent of French and Russian judges scoring gymnastics.

I Agree completely. The less power the officials have the better.We should try to move football in the direction of bowling. When is the last time a bowling referee determined the outcome of a match? Even tennis has electronic line calls now. The CFB rule book will be a multi-volume set in a few years.

Btw, bringing up other hits in this game, or others, does nothing to support anyone's opinion on the SJB hit. They're completely unrelated. Just because other hits are called right or wrong has nothing to do with SJB's hit. If some guy slaps his wife around and nobody does anything, that doesn't necessarily mean you slapping your wife around will end up with the same result.

But shouldn't the refs be expected to call a consistent game? It seems like the calls they make in other instances says something about how they should have called the SJB play.

But shouldn't the refs be expected to call a consistent game? It seems like the calls they make in other instances says something about how they should have called the SJB play.

No, it doesn't say anything about how they should call the SJB hit. The rules say how they should call the SJB hit, nothing else. The rules are clear, and it's an ejection when you see an angle where his helmet strikes the bottom of the guy's facemask.

The haphazardness of how these things are called as a whole speaks to, and can support, a person's opinion on whether the rule is a good one or not. But not on how they should call the SJB hit.

Edit - Forgot, and yes, the refs should be expected to call consistent games. But they never do since they're human. The problem right now is that the rule FORCES an ejection if they call targeting. Even if it's reviewed and still falls within the targeting rules, you're gone. Nothing should force the refs to eject, that's just plain retarded. Ejecting due to malictious and intentionally dangerous hits is far less of a judgement call (especially when reviewed on slow motion), and that's how the rule should be done. But it's not what we have anymore, sadly.

No, it doesn't say anything about how they should call the SJB hit. The rules say how they should call the SJB hit,

What? :confucius

• Fire 1

In the NCAA refs stand right next to people pushing, pinching, punching, twisting guys helmets around, and I can't think of a time something like that gets an ejection or a league comes in with a suspension. They always just break it up and say don't do that again. But dear god don't let your helmet skim the bottom of a wr or qb facemask unintentionally.

• Fire 1

No, it doesn't say anything about how they should call the SJB hit. The rules say how they should call the SJB hit,

What? :confucius

he is saying that bc they didn't call the other ones doesn't necessarily mean that they shouldn't have called the one we are talking about