The Mark Richt Campaign

I was a fan of the Richt idea until he failed to run a single jet sweep against Nebraska in the bowl game.

It's like taking candy from a baby, he had to know that after the Wisconsin game.

Ya, but it would be insane for a coach to think that we wouldn't fix the issue after being exposed..... or at least one would think.

If Tress became your guys' coach I'd get myself a Husker's jersey.

What about all those posts I've read on OSU boards denouncing "Tressel Ball?" Is that a real thing, and would we want it at Nebraska?

I know OSU had that moniker, but Tressel did show he was willing to play dynamic QBs and open up the style of play. He also showed the ability to adjust to a ball control style with tough D if he needed to. He was more conservative than others IIRC on trick plays, going on 4th, etc., but I don't recall his teams being totally devoid of dynamic offenses. I think he would hire a dynamic OC, perhaps even convince Scott Frost to come as a potential Coach-In-Waiting. My big issue with Tressel is the Show Cause hovering over him until 2016. One little mistake and the program is in deep, deep trouble.

Just make sure Jim Bollman stays away with Tressel as the HC. As for the show cause, I think in light of the Miami situation, he could get that reduced. Didn't Miami's old basketball coach get a 5 GAME suspension for lying to the NCAA?

What about all those posts I've read on OSU boards denouncing "Tressel Ball?" Is that a real thing, and would we want it at Nebraska?

I know OSU had that moniker, but Tressel did show he was willing to play dynamic QBs and open up the style of play. He also showed the ability to adjust to a ball control style with tough D if he needed to. He was more conservative than others IIRC on trick plays, going on 4th, etc., but I don't recall his teams being totally devoid of dynamic offenses. I think he would hire a dynamic OC, perhaps even convince Scott Frost to come as a potential Coach-In-Waiting. My big issue with Tressel is the Show Cause hovering over him until 2016. One little mistake and the program is in deep, deep trouble.

Just make sure Jim Bollman stays away with Tressel as the HC. As for the show cause, I think in light of the Miami situation, he could get that reduced. Didn't Miami's old basketball coach get a 5 GAME suspension for lying to the NCAA?

If that could happen, this is a dream scenario IMO. I would love to see Tressel here with Frost and maybe 1-2 other former Huskers who are good coaches to help keep the identity, while also hiring other great assistants. You know he understands the importance of Recruiting. My one concern would be could he focus the recruiting on a national scale. I seem to remember his staffs were focused almost entirely in the B1G footprint with some Florida ties. Need to be able to hit CA, TX, and FL here.

It's not a shot at Frost it is more a shot at the idea he's qualified at this point in time to be our HC. No discrediting anything he's done, but saying he is in no way qualified to be our HC.

With some of the shots taken at other coaches on here over the years, I think stating facts are very mild compared to that. JMO.

It's not a shot at Frost it is more a shot at the idea he's qualified at this point in time to be our HC. No discrediting anything he's done, but saying he is in no way qualified to be our HC.

With some of the shots taken at other coaches on here over the years, I think stating facts are very mild compared to that. JMO.

You're right. It's absolutely justified to question his credentials. My complaint was that your response was not related to the argument and therefore unnecessarily negative. Frost has only been OC half a season. That doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he would not move laterally and is considered a hot coaching prospect. Not a major issue, and most of the time I see where you are coming from with your Frost criticisms, but in this instance you are off base.

You're right. It's absolutely justified to question his credentials. My complaint was that your response was not related to the argument and therefore unnecessarily negative. Frost has only been OC half a season. That doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he would not move laterally and is considered a hot coaching prospect. Not a major issue, and most of the time I see where you are coming from with your Frost criticisms, but in this instance you are off base.

Maybe I read some people's comments wrong. Could be. I am not saying I didn't. I'm just not stuck on this idea that he's a dream candidate for even an OC job at this point. I'd take him, but at this point we have people here who appear to have knowledge of the situation (I know. Nothing is true unless you have a link) that say Helfrich can override his play calls in situations and Helfrich is heavily involved in the offensive game planning. I agree, I don't think he'd come here to be an OC, but that may mean he never comes here and that may or may not be a bad thing. It is not a requirement to have a Nebraska guy coaching here.

Maybe I read some people's comments wrong. Could be. I am not saying I didn't. I'm just not stuck on this idea that he's a dream candidate for even an OC job at this point. I'd take him, but at this point we have people here who appear to have knowledge of the situation (I know. Nothing is true unless you have a link) that say Helfrich can override his play calls in situations and Helfrich is heavily involved in the offensive game planning. I agree, I don't think he'd come here to be an OC, but that may mean he never comes here and that may or may not be a bad thing. It is not a requirement to have a Nebraska guy coaching here.

Fair enough. Consider it buried. I think you're pretty much spot on here. Too many question marks. Do I think he could succeed? Absolutely. But I'm in agreement with you that if any change is to be made, it should be made to improve immediately. No point in wasting time getting someone up to speed being a HC and getting 8-9 wins again or worse against what promises to be another fairly easy schedule next year. I know people have given you some stick for it but I completely get what you're saying there. No reason to change if you don't expect improvement.

Fair enough. Consider it buried. I think you're pretty much spot on here. Too many question marks. Do I think he could succeed? Absolutely. But I'm in agreement with you that if any change is to be made, it should be made to improve immediately. No point in wasting time getting someone up to speed being a HC and getting 8-9 wins again or worse against what promises to be another fairly easy schedule next year. I know people have given you some stick for it but I completely get what you're saying there. No reason to change if you don't expect improvement.

In 08 the Big 12 was the best conference in football. OU in my opinion being the best team in the nation. If anyone remembers, that was the year that Mizzou, KU, TT, OU, and UT were all I wanna say top 5 (?) at one point in the season. Bo took a team full of guys that won 5 games the year before and won 9 with them. If we do start looking for a new coach, he would be handed a program that is in much better shape than in 07 and that isn't even debatable. With that said, instant success isn't an unreasonable expectation. Bo did it, if we do find a new coach I expect him to do it better.

Except in 08.....

NU did not play UT

NU beat KU but they were in no way a top 5 team.

Lost to TT

And got flat out humiliated by Mizzou and OU

--so not the best argument

9 wins with a completely superior schedule in every way to what we will have in 2014.

Be better than 9 wins, or we've regressed. That simple.

It is a real thing and it singlehandedly destroyed the once proud program in ann arbor.

those OSU fans are spoiled. Tress beat one of the best Canes teams of all time, went to BCS games every year lost to teams with an under .500 record THREE times in his tenure. 2 of those were in his first year to Wisky and PSU and the other was against Turdue in 2009(oh yeah, he won the Rose Bowl Game that year)

Except in 08.....

NU did not play UT

Lost to TT

9 wins with a completely superior schedule in every way to what we will have in 2014.

Completely agree......contract for any new head football coach should come with a pink slip on the back page of the contract for any season 8 wins or less. Including his first season.

Except in 08.....

NU did not play UT

Lost to TT

Completely agree......contract for any new head football coach should come with a pink slip on the back page of the contract for any season 8 wins or less. Including his first season.

You would have fired Nick Saban for going 7-6 in his first year at Bama? And he lost to Louisiana-Monroe too. should have been fired I guess

Except in 08.....

NU did not play UT

Lost to TT

You would have fired Nick Saban for going 7-6 in his first year at Bama? And he lost to Louisiana-Monroe too. should have been fired I guess

This is not an Alabama discussion......but if Pelini had gone 7-6 his first season here, it would have been an improvement over Callahan's final season........this is a discussion about replacing a coach who has not won fewer than 9 games in any season he's coached here.