Nebraska vs. Texas vs. USC

NUance

It seems like every Husker football fan has an opinion right now on who should be the next coach at Nebraska. But really, what coaching candidate is there that would choose Nebraska over USC or Texas? Don't get me wrong. I'm not running down Nebraska. But realistically, both USC and Texas have more money and more resources than we have at Nebraska. Just the advantage in recruiting alone would make it hard for any coach to pick the Huskers over these other two programs. This makes Eichorst's task all the more daunting. That is, IF he is even conducting a search at all right now. I say "IF" because it is a very real possibility that the Huskers are not actively looking right now. Maybe they are trying to fix things--trying to put the wheels back on the wagon. Instead of getting a whole new wagon.

Another factor working against us is our own history. We fired Solich when he was 10-3. That alone would give pause to any top coaching candidate considering the Nebraska job. Thank you Steve Pederson. And remember how Pederson bungled the coaching search? It was a joke. We went after half a dozen coaching candidates back in 2003, Only to be rebuffed each time. When we finally hired Callahan most of Husker nation was glad to have an end to the pain. (Unfortunately, we only thought the pain had ended.)

And that's not to mention the money. If we fire Pelini now we'll end up paying $4.5 million in buyout cash. That's a pretty steep price to pay for any school, let alone a Midwestern land grant university. Have we even paid off the Callahan buyout yet?

All I'm saying is that I hope things don't spiral out of control like they have the past two times we made coaching changes. I hope Eichorst has the wisdom to guide us through this thing into better times. I hope we don't act rashly and dig an even deeper hole for Nebraska football. Because if we don't, things could get worse before they get better.

• Fire 2

First, Texas isn't getting rid of Mack Brown just yet. That team is hot right now.

Second, Solich had the team moving forward. EFFORT AND FOCUS was there.

Third, Callahan is employed...pretty sure we're not paying him anymore.

Fourth, short term financial loss for long term gain. Fans spend more money with good teams. Media covers school with better teams. More publicity equals higher enrollment across the board. Football needs to be solid at the University of Nebraska for a lot of reasons.

I hope they don't spiral out of control either but fear of failure cannot be the attitude of our AD. He needs to make the smart decision moving forward. When the season's over, we'll have a better idea of what that decision could be.

First, Texas isn't getting rid of Mack Brown just yet. That team is hot right now.

Second, Solich had the team moving forward. EFFORT AND FOCUS was there.

Third, Callahan is employed...pretty sure we're not paying him anymore.

Fourth, short term financial loss for long term gain. Fans spend more money with good teams. Media covers school with better teams. More publicity equals higher enrollment across the board. Football needs to be solid at the University of Nebraska for a lot of reasons.

I hope they don't spiral out of control either but fear of failure cannot be the attitude of our AD. He needs to make the smart decision moving forward. When the season's over, we'll have a better idea of what that decision could be.

All good points. I just hope that whatever happens in the next few months gets us headed in the right direction. I hope Eichorst manages the process in an efficient, yet wise, manner. Rather than opening us up to a Pedersonesque clusterf#@k search process. If that happens again we'll just end up with more of the same.

We need a Gary Anderson-type hire. A guy who knows football, will get the most out of his team, but isn't on the radar of a USC or Texas.

Yeah, and we need someone with the type of character that the people of Nebraska can get behind. Bo spent a lot of fan-loyalty currency with his sideline tirades and the behind-the-scenes profanity rants. I'm not saying we need to hire a monk. But just someone with a reasonable amount of decorum. And I guess it goes without say that, first and foremost, we need a football guy who can make us competitive again. Because without the recruiting and the wins, all the rest just won't matter.

Nebraska can compete for top tier talent in the coaching ranks. Our facilities are modern and the fan base is rabid. We can offer a competitive compensation package within reason. Who could $3-4 million buy today? The list would be very long. There is some good talent out there coaching and that are currently unemployed (FBS coaching) that would fit nicely- Petrino and I really like the idea of a Jim Tressel era (4-6 years) with a little help from a certain former Nebraska QB coaching in Oregon. IS that my dream ticket? No- my dream ticket would have members of KISS and the Rebel Alliance and we would change our mascot to a T-Rex.

I do not believe we should ever enter into a bidding war for a Saban/Meyer type person, only because they will continue to look for the next big thing. But the days of a coach like TO, Paterno, Bowden staying forever at one place- are going to be far and few. But this I believe is certain- change will be coming to our coaching staff. Our program still writes the checks for everything else in Husker land. And when it sneezes, the rest of our sporting programs catch a cold.

Nebraska can compete for top tier talent in the coaching ranks. Our facilities are modern and the fan base is rabid. We can offer a competitive compensation package within reason. Who could $3-4 million buy today? The list would be very long. There is some good talent out there coaching and that are currently unemployed (FBS coaching) that would fit nicely- Petrino and I really like the idea of a Jim Tressel era (4-6 years) with a little help from a certain former Nebraska QB coaching in Oregon. IS that my dream ticket? No- my dream ticket would have members of KISS and the Rebel Alliance and we would change our mascot to a T-Rex.

Could we split the difference and go back to the Fighting Mastodons instead? If so, I'm on board with this.

It seems like every Husker football fan has an opinion right now on who should be the next coach at Nebraska. But really, what coaching candidate is there that would choose Nebraska over USC or Texas? Don't get me wrong. I'm not running down Nebraska. But realistically, both USC and Texas have more money and more resources than we have at Nebraska. Just the advantage in recruiting alone would make it hard for any coach to pick the Huskers over these other two programs. This makes Eichorst's task all the more daunting. That is, IF he is even conducting a search at all right now. I say "IF" because it is a very real possibility that the Huskers are not actively looking right now. Maybe they are trying to fix things--trying to put the wheels back on the wagon. Instead of getting a whole new wagon.

Another factor working against us is our own history. We fired Solich when he was 10-3. That alone would give pause to any top coaching candidate considering the Nebraska job. Thank you Steve Pederson. And remember how Pederson bungled the coaching search? It was a joke. We went after half a dozen coaching candidates back in 2003, Only to be rebuffed each time. When we finally hired Callahan most of Husker nation was glad to have an end to the pain. (Unfortunately, we only thought the pain had ended.)

And that's not to mention the money. If we fire Pelini now we'll end up paying $4.5 million in buyout cash. That's a pretty steep price to pay for any school, let alone a Midwestern land grant university. Have we even paid off the Callahan buyout yet?

All I'm saying is that I hope things don't spiral out of control like they have the past two times we made coaching changes. I hope Eichorst has the wisdom to guide us through this thing into better times. I hope we don't act rashly and dig an even deeper hole for Nebraska football. Because if we don't, things could get worse before they get better.

Pederson went off half cocked....he had no one nailed down for the job, he just knee jerked and wanted Solich gone...hell, we've given Bo more slack than Solich ever got!.......Eichorst should be doing his homework....I think he knows the history here with the Clown-a-han debacle. If he can't find someone decent, he will let Bo stay for another season of pain.

Short of Bo losing almost every game the rest of the season its not going to happen and if it does Nebraska deserves two decades of crap coaches that make Billy C look like a genius.

Nothing pisses me off more than fair weather, crap fans that show up in droves on message boards and get excited over someone's demise. The reality is most of them are substandard in their everyday lives and don't deserve to sniff the jock straps of these coaches and players.

This past week, the way the fans have been toward the players makes me ashamed to wear Nebraska gear. It might be a vocal minority doing it but if the majority of good fans (if there are any left) don't push back then they are just as bad as the others.

• Fire 6

This past week, the way the fans have been toward the players makes me ashamed to wear Nebraska gear. It might be a vocal minority doing it but if the majority of good fans (if there are any left) don't push back then they are just as bad as the others.

It is a vocal minority. You know that. Asshats are everywhere and you can't stop them.

Out of curiosity, what should the "good fans" do to push back? I'm curious to what good fans could do to someone posting anonymously on Twitter.

First off, the Solich fire was done completely at the wrong time. He had just revamped his entire coaching staff. The new staff went from 7-7 to 10-3. Either he needed to be fired after the 7-7 or given another year. The entire world saw that except some Husker fans and Stevie Pedie. Then, the arrogance by Stevie around the issue was way off the charts. HE wanted to be in the spot light and HE wanted the program to be HIS program. HE wanted to be the saving grace that saved Husker Football. FAIL FAIL FAIL....all the way around.

Right now, I don't see us in the same situation. Bo hasn't made major changes in the program and how he does things. He hasn't swallowed his pride and changed his ways of running the team. We continue to see the same undisciplined team year in and year out and the rest of the world sees this. We have an AD who appears to not have an enormous ego and appears to be one who does what he can to make wise decisions for the program and not his legacy. We also have a coach who has done some things to turn off a very large percentage of the fan base. Most people I know have the attitude towards him of...."Win or get out". That was a totally different attitude than most fans had for Solich.

As for the money, I think we can be competitive with most places other than maybe Alabama, Texas and USC. It's the recruiting base that is going to hurt us. This is a MUCH bigger factor than it was 10-20 years ago. I wish it weren't like that and I wish the NCAA could some how do something to level the playing field as it pertains to recruiting. But, as of today, they have done nothing.

I hate coaching changes. People that know me would laugh at anyone claiming I am a fair weather fan who gets excited over someone's demise...especially when they are are a Husker. But, we need someone who wants to be here and knows how to play the PR game to make players want to be here. Just look at the difference between the attitude of Tim Miles and Bo. It is night and day. Tim's recruiting is on an upswing. I believe Bo's recruiting has been better the last few years than his first two. However, I'm not sure right now I can say the same thing until this recruiting class is totally put together. I have my concerns.

It is a vocal minority. You know that. Asshats are everywhere and you can't stop them.

Out of curiosity, what should the "good fans" do to push back? I'm curious to what good fans could do to someone posting anonymously on Twitter.

Simply speak up. I have been in multiple conversations over the last year or two where I have stopped people from constantly trashing a specific player when it was out of line. Some of those are with people I work with and they know I don't like that attitude around the office towards college players.

• Fire 1