Come on Husker fans. A loss to Minnesota wasn't all that big of a deal

tmfr15

Yep, Nebraska should just lie down and accept 9 and 10 win seasons because it's a horrible irrational thing to ask for improvement in performance and to have a high standard at a traditional football blue-blood.

Try telling that to Alabama fans, Oklahoma fans, USC fans, or Notre Dame fans.

Nebraska and Alabama have the most wins in the past 5 years of all programs.

Now, tell me again how much 9 and 10 win seasons suck.

Ridiculous point.

And how many NC's, CC's, and BCS bowls has that led to for us? How many times have lesser opponents beat us? How many times have we been embarrassingly blown out? Where are the hallmark wins? Where's the game(s) we look to and hang our hat on the excellent victory?

This is why wins alone are not a good gauge. 9 and 10 win seasons against the teams we play, in the conference(s) we've played in? You bet I expect that as a minimum. How about we just drop out of the B1G, go independent, and schedule nothing but low level FCs opponents? We maybe could pick up 1 or 2 more wins per year and still have the same thing to show for it. It's about more than the win/loss record.

And no offense to Dev.... that was just funny

None taken. Nebraska has won quite a few games consistently. We just haven't been over the hump yet...that was my entire point (despite the stats beating me like a stick)

To be fair, you were somewhat close in your assessment. Bama, Oregon, Boise St, Nebraska, and I think one other are the only schools to have 9+ wins the last 5 years.

If the author is happy with 9 wins a season, that's fine. But his arguments for why Nebraska isn't able to go any higher are simply false.

Here is him expounding his argument in a comment:

what resources, outside of history, does Nebraska have that everyone else doesn’t? Money? You can’t pay players. Facilities? Everyone has weights and practice fields (unless you are Grambling.) The landscape has changed.

This is clearly faulty logic. You could never (legally) pay players. Everyone has always had practice fields and weights. That has never stopped programs from being elite.

Money is hugely important. Money buys:

1. Superior coaches
  2. Superior facilities
  3. Superior marketers/brand managers

And those things in turn attract superior players. And furthermore, (1) creates superior players by taking already talented players and getting the most out of them.

So it's perfectly fine to be happy with where we're at. But it's also perfectly reasonable to want more, given our resources.

Yep, Nebraska should just lie down and accept 9 and 10 win seasons because it's a horrible irrational thing to ask for improvement in performance and to have a high standard at a traditional football blue-blood.

Holy blatant lie, Batman.

EDIT: maybe read the ENTIRE THREAD before posting...

Ridiculous point.

And how many NC's, CC's, and BCS bowls has that led to for us? How many times have lesser opponents beat us? How many times have we been embarrassingly blown out? Where are the hallmark wins? Where's the game(s) we look to and hang our hat on the excellent victory?

This is why wins alone are not a good gauge. 9 and 10 win seasons against the teams we play, in the conference(s) we've played in? You bet I expect that as a minimum. How about we just drop out of the B1G, go independent, and schedule nothing but low level FCs opponents? We maybe could pick up 1 or 2 more wins per year and still have the same thing to show for it. It's about more than the win/loss record.

I don't think it will be a ridiculous point in inner coaching circles if we end up doing a candidate search.

Ridiculous point.

I don't think it will be a ridiculous point in inner coaching circles if we end up doing a candidate search.

Psst...

You saw the link that showed us barely in the top 20, right?

You may have also had it mixed up with the stat the announcers threw out during the Purdue game that only Alabama has a better road record vs. unranked opponents than the Huskers since 2008. Not sure if that is true anymore.

Oh come on man. The coaching staffs of every major program and lower know exactly how to beat Bo. Minnesota even predicted it on TV prior to the game.

They have little to no respect for his scheme or his coaching. If they do it is only for their betterment/IE coach speak. He is not showing progress, continually shrugs the blame of the failures on to the players.

I get tired of hearing no one would come here because of our great 9-10 win seasons. Most would instantly think they could do better. You think the Wyoming coach doesn't feel he is better than Bo, and that Bo has better athletes and facilities. You need to give the other coaches credit for being brighter than a 2 watt bulb.

I really do not want to see him fired, but most coaches would expect more from a place like Nebraska, and would be willing to take the chance based solely on Bo's results, or lack there of.

• Fire 1

Oh come on man. The coaching staffs of every major program and lower know exactly how to beat Bo. Minnesota even predicted it on TV prior to the game.

They have little to no respect for his scheme or his coaching. If they do it is only for their betterment/IE coach speak. He is not showing progress, continually shrugs the blame of the failures on to the players.

I get tired of hearing no one would come here because of our great 9-10 win seasons. Most would instantly think they could do better. You think the Wyoming coach doesn't feel he is better than Bo, and that Bo has better athletes and facilities. You need to give the other coaches credit for being brighter than a 2 watt bulb.

I really do not want to see him fired, but most coaches would expect more from a place like Nebraska, and would be willing to take the chance based solely on Bo's results, or lack there of.

Yep. All of the above.

There will be a little blowback about the 10 win seasons and fanbase expectations, but at this point the college football universe understands that Nebraska isn't working as it should and I don't think many would defend Pelini. At least not in private.

If everyone knew how to beat Bo, he'd be 0-13. You can call that Minnesota video a prediction if you like. He said what they would do based on how many we played in the box. I can't speak to other coaches respect to Pelini's scheme or coaching and my Spidey senses tell me you can't either. If you say he blames things on the players enough, you might start to believe it. He says we need to execute. My guess is whomever your favorite coach is (and I'm well aware it ain't Pelini) says the same thing. Someone will come here if we have an opening......don't get your comment about the light bulb. It's not about coaches not being bright.....they definitely are bright. It's about other places paying the same coin in better recruiting areas and not coming to the only school who fires a successful coach.....more than once. As far as you not wanting to see Pelini fired. Ok.

Yep. All of the above.

There will be a little blowback about the 10 win seasons and fanbase expectations, but at this point the college football universe understands that Nebraska isn't working as it should and I don't think many would defend Pelini. At least not in private.

They might not defend Pelini. They just wouldn't apply for his former position. Other schools pay similar in better recruiting area. Briles and the state of Texas for example.