Sobering Look - how far out of relevance NU has fallen

TGHusker

You could name dozens of new-hires that turned a program around in 3-4 years and had them competing for BCS wins. But you can only find a handful that stuck with a coach for years to find that success.

That's funny, the Huskers have five national championships, and ALL of them came after we stuck with a coach for 9 or more years.

You could name dozens of new-hires that turned a program around in 3-4 years and had them competing for BCS wins. But you can only find a handful that stuck with a coach for years to find that success.

That's funny, the Huskers have five national championships, and ALL of them came after we stuck with a coach for 9 or more years.

Further, of all the dozen new hires that were competing for BCS wins, how many of them maintained that success after their initial big time achievement, and had long tenures?

And none of them came from a coach who hadn't won a conference championship in their first 6 years.

• Fire 2

We have enough money to hire coaches, build facilities and create branding good enough to win the Big 10 conference, or even the Big 12.

We have not done that for a long time. Therefore, we are disappointed. Disappointment is a sentiment, and one of the major uses of online sports forums (at least as I have understood them) is to express sentiments to fellow fans that may share those sentiments.

When those sentiments happen to be negative, we are called self-indulgent, self-entitled whiners with low-self esteem.

And none of them came from a coach who hadn't won a conference championship in their first 6 years.

2 Big 8 co-championships for TO versus 3 division championships for Bo.

Isn't a tie for 1st in the Big 8 about the same as a division championship in a 12 team conference?

How did you come to the conclusions the big 12 is quite a bit better?

Because of Baylor being speculated to jump Ohio State if both win out regardless if OSU beats MSU. Thats how.

That is your indicator of conference strength? ESPN speculates something so it must be true.

The Big 10 is not very strong due to the lack of marquee victories. Until Northwestern beat California it was the fisrt time they beat a pac 12 team on the west coast in years. To put it like this the big 10 could have a 22 game winning streak in Ohio State and watch other teams play for the national title and end being ranked 4th. The Big 10 hasnt won a national title without an asterisk since the 60s...omitting Penn State in the 80s. We bitch about 01 on the clock ask Washington State about their rose bowl or Miami in the fiesta bowl.Penn Stateyou can include them and I'll accept it. Most have the image of the big 10 getting smashed in bcs national title games. Its a perception that takes awhile to wash away

Isn't a tie for 1st in the Big 8 about the same as a division championship in a 12 team conference?

Do we have a banner that reads conference champions for 2009, 2010 or 2012? Then no.

• Fire 2

Some people make my head hurt. Are we seriously so far down that we are grasping at straws that we are bringing Gary Pinkel up as a defense? His name was being used as an adjective for creatively losing games. At a Missouri where he has still won exactly nothing. No conference titles, and fewer division titles than Pelini. And while they do lead the SEC East right now, mart money says they drop one of the last two and South Carolina plays in Atlanta.

Snyder is a guy who should not be brought into comparison with at all. Ever. Nebraska in 2007 was not the same thing as the giant dumpster fire KState was. Nebraska is in the 800+ win club, KSU is in the 800+loss club.

9 wins means nothing. This year if we get to 9 wins, will have wins over what looks like 2 bowl teams. Impressive.

We are not relevant. Without being ranked, you get little to no coverage on the national media. And under Pelini we are spending as much or more time outside the top 25 than in it. I doubt we show up in a top 25 poll at all again this year, and we wont be in the next preseason polls either.

• Fire 1

Do we have a banner that reads conference champions for 2009, 2010 or 2012? Then no.

So now we must have banner's stating conference champions or it didn't happen. talking about cherry picking.

How did you come to the conclusions the big 12 is quite a bit better?

Because of Baylor being speculated to jump Ohio State if both win out regardless if OSU beats MSU. Thats how.

That is your indicator of conference strength? ESPN speculates something so it must be true.

The Big 10 is not very strong due to the lack of marquee victories. Until Northwestern beat California it was the fisrt time they beat a pac 12 team on the west coast in years. To put it like this the big 10 could have a 22 game winning streak in Ohio State and watch other teams play for the national title and end being ranked 4th. The Big 10 hasnt won a national title without an asterisk since the 60s...omitting Penn State in the 80s. We bitch about 01 on the clock ask Washington State about their rose bowl or Miami in the fiesta bowl.Penn Stateyou can include them and I'll accept it. Most have the image of the big 10 getting smashed in bcs national title games. Its a perception that takes awhile to wash away

Really? 2003 NC game ring a bell?

Ohio State goes 1-2 NC games but goes 6-3 in BCS games and the whole B1G now sucks? That second NC loss happened in 2008. By that logic the Big 12 sucks because Oklahoma is 1-3 in NC games and 3-5 in BCS bowl games.

Some people make my head hurt. Are we seriously so far down that we are grasping at straws that we are bringing Gary Pinkel up as a defense? His name was being used as an adjective for creatively losing games. At a Missouri where he has still won exactly nothing. No conference titles, and fewer division titles than Pelini. And while they do lead the SEC East right now, mart money says they drop one of the last two and South Carolina plays in Atlanta.

Snyder is a guy who should not be brought into comparison with at all. Ever. Nebraska in 2007 was not the same thing as the giant dumpster fire KState was. Nebraska is in the 800+ win club, KSU is in the 800+loss club.

9 wins means nothing. This year if we get to 9 wins, will have wins over what looks like 2 bowl teams. Impressive.

We are not relevant. Without being ranked, you get little to no coverage on the national media. And under Pelini we are spending as much or more time outside the top 25 than in it. I doubt we show up in a top 25 poll at all again this year, and we wont be in the next preseason polls either.

I think you needed to read the comments above to give it a little more context. Or you did, and just have a very tough time w/ comprehension. No one was using Pinkel as a defense. Just looking for schools that actually stuck w/ a coach as long as Nebraska and actually had some success. In that case, Pinkel is one of the few that fits the mold.

Out of 125 schools, only 25 have coaches that have been in their current position longer than Pelini has been in his, and a number of those runs will likely end this season. I'd say he's had a pretty good go at it here at Nebraska.

We're parsing words now. Whether you want to say we're "capable" or we're "entitled" to it happening, we don't have umpteen discussions because people are OK with being capable - but not having what we think we're capable of.

I'm not being dense or intentionally stupid here - I know what you're getting at. I want to be up there as well. But not every post has been constructively trying to ferret out the problem. Most seem to be saying we deserve to be there, and I'm pissed that we aren't. Well, I'm not happy we aren't, too. But I understand that it's a lot more likely that we won't get to frequent national relevance again than that we will.

I guess I'm just confused as to your stance. If we aren't happy with where the program is and we comment about that fact, we are acting self-entitled and you don't want to read it? That's fine... but then why have the board running? Isn't this the entire point of a message board?

I think people confuse some of us that say "we 'should' be there" as meaning "we're 'entitled' to be there". That's not the case at all. I see so much potential in this team, this program, everything...that I really think we "should" be there, at 11 wins, heading to a BCS bowl, competing 100% week in and week out. It's there, it's been there for a few years. And we owe all of that to Bo Pelini. If he gets canned, and the next coach rolls through next years schedule I'll be the first to give some credit where credit is due...because Pelini has this program on the cusp of greatness. I just don't believe he and his staff can get over that hump. I was unsure after 2011, very skeptical after 2012 and now after this season I'm pretty comfortable saying that. But that's not to take away from the fact that he's got the program in a perfect position for the next guy. It's also why I'm not too worried about finding someone. They'll look at our schedule, at our roster, and our facilities...then say "thanks Bo" and collect their $5 million. And just the change itself will likely be enough to push them over the hump.

I guess this is where I'm at - Bo righted the ship but there still seems to be some intangibles that are missing resulting in inconsistent play during the past few years. Turnovers, penalties, team not ready for the big games in front of a national TV crowd, etc. I'm tired of getting my hopes (not entitlement) built up in August only to see us fall short. Let's face the fact - we are a looking at one hail Mary pass from being a 4 loss team now and that throw probably inspired us over Michigan as well. I'd venture to say, if the Wy game was any longer - we may have lost it by the way we played in the 2nd half - One could also easily argue the other way - if we didn't have any injuries we may very well be a one loss team --- of course if - "ifs and buts were candy and nuts -- NU would be undefeated or have zero wins"

One of the arguments for a great season this year and next was our easy schedule. However, that rings pretty hollow. Who wants to build a team on a patsy schedule - do we want KSU's reputation? By the time we get into the CCG or a Bowl Game - we would be revealed as a pretender. I would hope, we would have higher goals then that - winning by beating the best or being competitive in every loss to a ranked team.

What is puzzling the most to me is the D. Bo's best D was wt BC recruits. He did a good job coaching them up. I'm not sure I buy the argument that switching conferences should automatically cause our D to go down hill. It seems to me, just a Monday morning QB wt an opinion, that a good D should be able to play against any kind of O. While the Big 12 placed a premium on speed and in particular the corners and safeties - I don't see why our front 7 suffered so much in the transition. Maybe someone more enlightened can comment to this. It is the play of our front 7 that has hurt us greatly and I think Bo's recruits did not have the speed in the DB/Corner positions as some of BC's recruits. I will say - Bo made a great move by moving Stanley Jean-Baptiste to corner - I think this is Bo's strong point (DBs and corners + he and Carl - not sure who gets the main credit coached up Suh to become a much better player) Bo has moved some marginally good offensive players to the D and that has worked several times. I think Bo can be (and has been ) a great D coach if that was his sole focus. However, the only way I see him really succeeding here as HC, is if he totally gives up the D mantle to an experience DC and let that person have free reign wt the D. Otherwise, if Bo still wants to be HC and DC (not in name - we know Pap is DC in name only) then I could see him succeeding at a smaller school in the way Frank has done well at Ohio and Craig Bohl has done at NDSU.