So Bo's staying. Now what?

papersun87

Well we know what we have, sometimes you do not have the best commanding officer in the military, but he is the commanding officer. You follow and do the best you can do, hoping that things change, your leader grows and in some small way you were responsible for that growth.

We as a fan base need to come together this year, put the negatives in the closet, man up and support Bo, and hope he makes the steps/decisions that are needed to improve the program.

I did see improvement this year, I am hoping that is what the administration saw and decided to give the youth on this team time to develop, the injuries heal and see how we do next year. Next year maybe the year where it all comes together, we need to believe that. It took Tom a few years to get it all together, Bo started with far less experience than Tom.

I will support Bo through the next season. I am not sure it is the right choice, nor am I sure it is the wrong way to go. Only Bo knows. He has been given another chance. Take advantage of it Bo.

I think staff changes are not only necessary, but inevitable.

Coaches that ARE SAFE and should return next season:

• Bo Pelini - Head Coach
  • Ron Brown - Running Backs
  • Rich Fisher - Wide Receivers
  • John Garrison - Offensive Line
  • Terry Joseph - Secondary

Coaches that need to be replaced:

• Ross Els - Linebackers/Special Teams Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator

Coaches that are "on the fence" to being replaced:

• Tim Beck - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks
  • Rick Kaczenksi - Defensive Line
  • John Papuchis - Defensive Coordinator
  • James Dobson - Head Strength Coach

Moving Forward...What Nebraska needs to do this offseason to help build the program back to being a national power:

1. Change Our Offensive Philosophy

• Get Back to Power Football While Keeping Option Elements (Speed Option, Read Option, etc.)

- 2 Back Football, Big-Fast Offensive Lineman, Multiple Blocking Schemes of (zone, power-o, traps, counters.)

• Study Teams That Fit A Run First Philosophy and Appeal To This Blue Collar State

- My suggestion would be for our coaches to study the San Francisco 49ers, Wisconsin Badgers, & Stanford Cardinals this offseason. Remember, Tom Osborne molded his I-Formation Power Option offenses off of many schemes & concepts that he thought would fit his run-first philosophy, most notably Oklahoma's Wishbone Option being one of those.

2. Change Defensive Philosophy

• Change to an Attacking, Fast, but Physical Defense. STOP THE RUN FIRST!!!

- Give Bo Pelini credit, we will have a lot of talented athletes on the defensive side of the football next year. Gregory, Moss, Valentine, Rose, Banderas, etc.

• Study Multiple Defensive Philosophy's

- 3-4 Defense............Alabama

- 4-2-5 Defense........TCU

- 4-3 Defense...........Michigan State & Charlie McBride's 4-3 Robber Defense of the 90's

3. A Complete Overhaul of Special Teams Philosophy

• Make Special Teams Important Again...Be The Aggressor

- Special Teams is 1/3 of a football game that many teams don't put enough emphasis on. Your championship teams usually always have great special teams. It not only affects field position, but it can quickly change momentum in a game as well. Nebraska needs to change it's special teams philosophy from a passive safe philosophy to an aggressive, attacking special teams unit...for kickoff returns, punt returns, punt blocks, field goals, etc.

IN CLOSING:

With Sean Eichorst's statement, he is giving Bo Pelini new life at Nebraska whether he wants to have it or not. The ball is now back in Bo's corner for him to make the necessary changes to get Nebraska back into the nation's elite. This is his #1 responsibility this offseason...the question is can he get it done, and is he willing to make those changes even if it means he has to go against his loyalty to some coaches who are also his friends?

With Eichorst's statement of support for Bo Pelini today Nebraska fans also have been tasked with a responsibility...to keep supporting this program win or lose, no matter who is in the head coach's seat. We must continue the sellout streak, we must continue being a well traveled and well respected fan base for away games, and we must continue to expect excellence out of this program, but remain classy in doing so. When Nebraska fans cease doing these things, then Nebraska ultimately quits being Nebraska, and thus we risk becoming just a footnote in the pages of college football history.

Bo Pelini & Nebraska were given a second chance today. Sometimes it's those second chance stories that become the most memorable.

• Fire 4

Next year, is Bo's last chance, to prove he has a formula for success that takes the program to the conference title game and preferably win it! Being competitive every game and playing with great discipline all year will be crucial if Bo wants to stay in Lincoln more than 1 more year. These are basic characteristics of good teams who are well coached and there hasn't been these on both sides of the ball at one time under Bo, EVER!? Writings on the wall and Bo definitely knows it! Paps, Els, and even Cotton need to go! Beck could go and I wouldn't be upset either!

What's next....

Probably more 8-5 & 9-4 seasons with a majority on this board working overtime to spin excuses why none of this is Bo Pelini's fault and we can't do better so lets keep on plowing through mediocre season after mediocre season.

Funny how you're expecting years that are (currently) Bo's worst and worse than his worst.

Now I can't wait for next season to see how the competition for qb between Armstrong and Stanton shakes out....assuming those will be the guys. I think Beck has the right idea to have a great passing game that recruits are drawn to while still being able to control the TOP with a strong running attack. Hopefully next season we'll be able to maintain a healthy line like the one we started the year with that gave us the outstanding pass protection. I'm also looking forward to watching what our young defense can do now that they're figuring it out.

Who knows....maybe instead of scowling, Bo will start cracking jokes in response to all the stupid questions and reality show baiting?

Second, failing that, a staff shakeup would go a long ways. I am of the opinion that Papuchis, Beck, Els, and Dobson all need pink slips. While I think Kaczenski, Fisher, Brown, Joseph, Cotton, and Garrison have earned their stay I sure hope if Bo is going to shake things up he would hire externally and not promote (which is part of to Bo-haters' beef against him) and surely any new OC/DC would bring in their own guys.

yeah, can't wait for bo to revamp his staff and then after another disappointing season next year all of the bo-supporters saying bo deserves one more year for his staff to settle in and we are so close but they need to get their players in their systems.

Exactly.

I love how all the Bo-lievers say give excuses for why Bo should stay (injuries, youth), but then are all, "But Papuchis and Beck can f#*k off!" Why does Bo get the benefit of the excuses and not those guys?

Plus, as you say, this is just a built in excuse to give Bo three more years to let the new staff settle in.

I don't want Bo to change a single thing and if I'm Eichorst, I don't do anything stupid like demand staff changes. Make Bo fire his trainees himself or go down with them. In fact, if Eichorst really wanted to get sadistic, he would prohibit Bo from making any changes. At this point, it's like an ant farm and Eichorst is holding the magnifying glass.

Definitely not hard to be excited about the players we have on defense, and on offense. All in all, I'll say that this with be Bo's most talented and (and is a keyword here) experienced team since 2009.

yeah, because 2009 was such an overwhelming success. wait, all the failures from that year was watson's fault. now we just have beck in our way to true greatness.

I would think that some people would welcome a season like 2009. Losing 3 games by a combined 4 points. Two of those to ranked teams. One of those in the Big XII Championship against #3 Texas.

i guess that is as good as we should expect, now. close losses and losing to better teams in ccg's.

• Fire 1

After yesterday, very surprising. Can't say I'm looking forward to the future that much with the toxic atmosphere that goes back to our head coach, but he is at least a good mind and the team loves him. I don't think Bo is capable of fewer than nine wins.

When he wins he's a bully on the pulpit, when he loses he lashes out. This needs to change, the fan experience delivered needs to be valued. Class is about more than sticking up for your guys, and at Nebraska we like to see our guys have it.