Lets see if the brass supports the coach and team.

Like anyone gives a f#*k what some random k state fan thinks. Come on man, you can come up with a better argument than that. That's terrible.

I don't expect you to give a f#*k, but I do. These are people that I highly respect. People I've watched games with for years. People that used to hold Nebraska in high regard. Just like our parents and grandparents thought of Oklahoma. (at least mine anyway) These aren't 25 year old kids that cuss Nebraska's name, they're adults that enjoy college football and the traditions and history that has been built between our programs. Not long ago there was little negative to say about Nebraska. Sure, a bad hire, some down years - but that happens everywhere. It's different this time around. I don't expect many to understand. You guys get to live inside the bubble. Must be nice :)

I'm sure you at least tried to point out some positives about your favorite team as your friends were bashing it, right?

Or maybe you have nothing to like about the Huskers?

I live in Omaha, and spend most of my conversations with other Husker fans. I think some of them hate Pelini more than Mizzou or K-State fans. Sometimes I wished I lived "outside" the bubble....

These are people that I highly respect. People I've watched games with for years. People that used to hold Nebraska in high regard. Just like our parents and grandparents thought of Oklahoma. (at least mine anyway) These aren't 25 year old kids that cuss Nebraska's name, they're adults that enjoy college football and the traditions and history that has been built between our programs. Not long ago there was little negative to say about Nebraska.

Does it have to do with the fact we're not playing each other yearly and switched conferences OR Bo's antics? Let's be honest.

I "respected" KSU and Mizzou a lot more when we were playing them yearly and in the same conference. Now, I don't mind trying to downplay their accomplishments. :D

I know that I enjoy watching Mizzou a lot more now than I used to. I can actually cheer for them to win now instead of hoping for a loss so we don't end up losing some tie-breaker in a screwed up B12. No, this one is 100% Bo, and these are people that watch a lot of Husker football, just like I watch a lot of Mizzou (and quite a bit of K-State). I don't think I saw a KU game this year though. Darn. :) They formed this opinion some time ago, because I've been defending him for the last couple of years. Now it's just become more of a facepalm thing though. it's gotten "louder". They think Nebraska should be better than we are, and they look to the coach. Just like we do to other programs. Nothing wrong w/ that.

Like anyone gives a f#*k what some random k state fan thinks. Come on man, you can come up with a better argument than that. That's terrible.

I don't expect you to give a f#*k, but I do. These are people that I highly respect. People I've watched games with for years. People that used to hold Nebraska in high regard. Just like our parents and grandparents thought of Oklahoma. (at least mine anyway) These aren't 25 year old kids that cuss Nebraska's name, they're adults that enjoy college football and the traditions and history that has been built between our programs. Not long ago there was little negative to say about Nebraska. Sure, a bad hire, some down years - but that happens everywhere. It's different this time around. I don't expect many to understand. You guys get to live inside the bubble. Must be nice :)

I'm sure you at least tried to point out some positives about your favorite team as your friends were bashing it, right?

Or maybe you have nothing to like about the Huskers?

I live in Omaha, and spend most of my conversations with other Husker fans. I think some of them hate Pelini more than Mizzou or K-State fans. I wished I lived away from the negativity....

LOL... +1

I live in central Nebraska and sometimes wish I lived out of state to get away from negative fans.

I live in central Nebraska and sometimes wish I lived out of state to get away from negative fans.

Exactly, and do you see that changing? Outside of a 12-13 win season (winning cures everything, but we all know is a huge stretch of imagination) - this fan base is going to be divided for a LONG, LONG time. The impact it will have on this program could last for decades.

You're probably right about the former but it's a mistake to equate that to the latter.

Nebraska is more than Bo Pelini. We were here before Pelini and we'll be here after him.

Yes. Quite enough with this 'If you don't like Bo Pelini you hate Nebraska' garbage.

• Fire 1

If you don't think their coverage makes the job easier or harder then you've not be listening to any of the things DB and Sharpe have been saying.

But if you think that media coverage is a significant factor in how the team plays on any given Saturday that's a more damning indictment of the coaching staff than it is of the media.

I don't think I've ever stated it change the way they played. I've maintained they want Bo fired and as such the OWH has covered the team in a negative light. It makes it tough to recruit. I think it makes it tougher to focus on football as a team. I've never said it lead to 5 turnovers.

I have a couple honest questions for you since you are a former journalist.

Do you really believe that the amount of media "pressure" is more here than other major programs across the nation?

Do you feel that maybe you place too much emphasis on the media scrutiny being that you come from that world and place a higher importance on it than the rest of the general public?

I think its probably as bad other places but different. As much as the Omaha media would like to think that the Bluejays are a big deal no one really cares outside of that little area. The difference is that most of the time there is a "break" from the media. It doesn't happen here.

And the reason I put heavy stock in it is because I've seen personally how it changes how people think. I've done it intentionally when I was learning, writing, reporting for newspapers, TV and radio while I was in college to get something accomplished that suited my needs for my education at the time. (I will stay vague about it. But did it at the request of a professor to prove a point and get something for the department). Hell its why PR firms are in business right now. The spin happens. As a journalist who is reporting we are taught to be the fly on the way and tell the story no matter if we agree or not. If you want to put opinion in it you become a columnist. I don't think people know or can tell the difference today.

The fan base will be divided as long as the fans want to be divided. People choose to support the team at whatever level they support them at, and some people simply won't support the team no matter what, based on their own criteria. You're never going to change that, and that's not something unique to Nebraska. There were a small but vocal number of people extremely pissed off that Alabama wasn't going to win another championship this year, and Saban took a ton of flak for it. Hell, there were people pissed at Osborne for not contending for the 1996 championship.

I also think this "divided fans" thing is largely overblown, media-driven, and not all that different from how we were in the 1980s when we had stability at coaching and won a fair portion of our games.

I've read this whole thread and have my own opinions about Bo and his coaching staff, which are not very original at this point. But the part that mystifies me is someone having friends who are fans of K-State and Missouri, and caring what they think about NU...

• Fire 2

If you don't think their coverage makes the job easier or harder then you've not be listening to any of the things DB and Sharpe have been saying.

But if you think that media coverage is a significant factor in how the team plays on any given Saturday that's a more damning indictment of the coaching staff than it is of the media.

I don't think I've ever stated it change the way they played. I've maintained they want Bo fired and as such the OWH has covered the team in a negative light. It makes it tough to recruit. I think it makes it tougher to focus on football as a team. I've never said it lead to 5 turnovers.

I have a couple honest questions for you since you are a former journalist.

Do you really believe that the amount of media "pressure" is more here than other major programs across the nation?

Do you feel that maybe you place too much emphasis on the media scrutiny being that you come from that world and place a higher importance on it than the rest of the general public?

I think its probably as bad other places but different. As much as the Omaha media would like to think that the Bluejays are a big deal no one really cares outside of that little area. The difference is that most of the time there is a "break" from the media. It doesn't happen here.

And the reason I put heavy stock in it is because I've seen personally how it changes how people think. I've done it intentionally when I was learning, writing, reporting for newspapers, TV and radio while I was in college to get something accomplished that suited my needs for my education at the time. (I will stay vague about it. But did it at the request of a professor to prove a point and get something for the department). Hell its why PR firms are in business right now. The spin happens. As a journalist who is reporting we are taught to be the fly on the way and tell the story no matter if we agree or not. If you want to put opinion in it you become a columnist. I don't think people know or can tell the difference today.

Thank you for answering, and maybe I don't put that much emphasis on it because I am old-school and don't just believe everything I read or am told.

I agree with this point I bolded. It is difficult to find someone that doesn't have an agenda in reporting anything. Maybe we need to be teaching kids how to see through it, maybe require HS students to take a basic marketing class? I know the kids that do understand "target market" and other reasons why companies do something a certain way.

I've read this whole thread and have my own opinions about Bo and his coaching staff, which are not very original at this point. But the part that mystifies me is someone having friends who are fans of K-State and Missouri, and caring what they think about NU...

I agree with you. The reason these fans had NU in "high regard" is because we had a coach that was there 25 years and finished as one of the greatest of all time. There are not that many coaches like that so their opinion of our current coach means nothing.

I live out of state. Most football fans I run across really aren't to worried about how or what Nebraska or BP is doing. They are much more worried about being a BSU, Oregon, OSU or Idaho fan. In the case of the Idaho fans they really only want to see BSU lose because they suck so bad.

If you live in Missouri or Kansas you are going to get a lot more negative stuff from people because they are a lot closer to it. They also hate Nebraska football with a passion. I went to college in Missouri and the unsolicited crap I used to get from people when Nebraska would lose was unreal. I never went out of my way to brag about wins, but man I used to catch hell when they would lose.

The farther you move away from the area the less people really worry about Nebraska football. It is actually kind of nice.

Hey ESPN conspiracy theorists:

I always hear the argument that other coaches get enraged and throw fits, not unlike Bo Pelini.

It's true. How do we know this?

Because ESPN/ABC and every other network carrying football will cut away to the sidelines when ANY coach is visiably pissed.

Is that being sensational? I don't know, but if you are interested in the game of football, you should be interested why a coach is going ballastic on a player or ref. Often it's over something we didn't see on first view. A lot of times we learn the coach is right to be pissed. Sometimes it shows discord on the sidelines. But cameras catching a coach's mood is legitimate coverage in every sport on television. It doesn't start or end with Bo Pelini and has nothing to do with ESPN.

So we've seen plenty of other coaches fuming and berating on the sidelines.

Does Bo do it more often, and more demonstrably?

Yeah. I'd say so. It is what it is. It's not a creation of the media. If you had to describe Bo Pelini's style, could you avoid all the adjectives you don't want the national broadcasters to use?

And can you imagine if Bo Pelini was coaching a rival of Nebraska's? Would you admire his fiery style, or mock it mercilessly? All other things being equal, would it be more fun to beat a Bo Pelini team because you made spittle fly out his mouth and made him hurl his clipboard?

Winning cures everything and the best thing about the Gator Bowl was seeing Bo Pelini smile and his team actually look joyful. This game should be fun. Too often Bo's teams have played tight and joyless in both losses and wins.

I'm totally open to being a Bo Pelini fan, but it's not just about me changing my attitude towards Bo Pelini. Bo has to do his part.

And the media -- in general -- views Nebraska at least as accurately as our own fans, whose agenda is much, much stronger.

• Fire 4