New DB Coach Search

What he did may not have been technically wrong or illegal. But it was wrong. I'm not sure what he did was even grounds for firing. He did "resign". But He did do some things that had an affect on his life and he needed to step away, regardless who was forcing the hand.

This is great coming from Mr. Accountability

I am not going to get into what may or may not have happened on Marvin's departure, but I do know that he and Ron Brown were the only 2 guys that I desperately wanted Bo to hire and to keep on staff forever. In fact, I would have been fine with either one of them eventually becoming HC material.

As mentioned on 1620, Marvin and Bo are very, very close, but Marvin is in California in a very good situation, making good money, living near beach......... would he be interested in coming back to a place where the HC is pressumably on the hot-seat going into next year ? Marvin may say thanks but no thanks.....sit back, coach big time HS in Cally, enjoy weather.

I would love Marvin, just not sure it will happen. Although many so-called media close to Husker football keep throwing his name around.

Mike Schaefer@mikejschaefer17m

This won't happen, but one name I'd take a long look at is Brian Dawkins. He's a DC at Valor Christian. Can learn coaching ropes from Bo.

Mike Schaefer@mikejschaefer15m

As far as I know Dawkins has no connection to Pelini. But this would be a good opportunity to get into college coaching - if he wants to.

Long shot, but it'd be an awesome hire.

I think Bo has enough guys on his staff that he is teaching how to be a coach - both of our coordinators to be specific.

• Fire 1

As mentioned on 1620, Marvin and Bo are very, very close, but Marvin is in California in a very good situation, making good money, living near beach...

Wasn't he let go from USC and is now coaching a high school?

Yes... He is coaching at a big time HS....according to Sipple, he has a staff of 21 assistants at this HS...so it is pretty big time. Sounds very comfortable.

What does Mike Brown do nowadays? I always thought he was just as intellectual a player as he was a gifted athlete. A long successful career proves as much. I know I'm a guy that doesn't really like the idea of Nebraska hiring first time coaches too much, but a DB coach, as I've said before, not sure he changes a lot about the overall performance here. Bo's running the show out there IMO. Still, a smart guy who has vast knowledge and experience at defensive back in both college and the NFL could surely bring something to the table.

What does Mike Brown do nowadays? I always thought he was just as intellectual a player as he was a gifted athlete. A long successful career proves as much. I know I'm a guy that doesn't really like the idea of Nebraska hiring first time coaches too much, but a DB coach, as I've said before, not sure he changes a lot about the overall performance here. Bo's running the show out there IMO. Still, a smart guy who has vast knowledge and experience at defensive back in both college and the NFL could surely bring something to the table.

Someone mentioned Mike Brown in another thread, saying the same thing. I agree with your impression and the poster who first brought his name into the mix. I think he said that Brown was coaching somewhere.

I love the Bullocks recommendation but I like the Dawkins name drop even more. Stellar player but he brings a few other things to the table. One, very passionate and aggressive, probably would translate to the field. Two, his name alone carries a lot of weight as far as recruiting in Big Ten country I would guarantee it, considering his long career in Philadelphia. Everybody up there knows who he is, and respects his game.

My understanding is that Bo wants someone who's had experience coaching at the D1 level for a while. That rules out a bunch of people "wishing" we'd get some of the guys mentioned above. I also have heard Sanders's name come up but that wasn't from anyone at UNL. The feeler was sent out to see if enough time had passed to let the fire die down. The answer was that "they didn't know" but they were also trying to keep TJ at the time.

How do you feel about Sanders, da skers?

Someone mentioned Mike Brown in another thread, saying the same thing. I agree with your impression and the poster who first brought his name into the mix. I think he said that Brown was coaching somewhere.

I see. Thanks. I had not read that and I never really hear much about what he's up to nowadays. Damn great Husker though.

This would be a great hire. Mike Brown played in practically the same scheme when he was with the Bears that we play here. I have no doubt Mike could coach DBs. But his recruiting may take time to develop, maybe not.

This would be a great hire. Mike Brown played in practically the same scheme when he was with the Bears that we play here. I have no doubt Mike could coach DBs. But his recruiting may take time to develop, maybe not.

Just because a guy played in the same scheme and was a good/great player in that scheme doesn't mean he would make a great coach. The best coaches are teachers, and the best players were able to do so much of what they did "naturally", that it's hard for them to "teach" that to other players.

Just because a guy played in the same scheme and was a good/great player in that scheme doesn't mean he would make a great coach. The best coaches are teachers, and the best players were able to do so much of what they did "naturally", that it's hard for them to "teach" that to other players.

You must've missed the part in the comment you quoted where I said he was as intellectually great as he was naturally gifted. If you disagree with that, you're wrong. I also believe he was very well known for this. Not sure, it's been awhile, but I think he had a reputation as being "football smart" and book smart. You're comment may have applied to Dawkins or Bullocks, maybe even Warfield, but in this case, I don't think you could be more off base with the guy you chose to comment about. Brown strikes me as the great type to coach. Those years of NFL experience count for quite a bit too.