New DB Coach Search

Let's get down to Brass tax! Who's marvelous Marvin bringing with him? Does he have a couple Deion Sanders type DBs at his current school? Is there any D1 talent on his roster that we instantly become intriguing to with our hiring of Marvin the Magnificent? Anyone in the know please elaborate!

I prefer Brass tacks myself.

• Fire 3

Let's get down to Brass tax! Who's marvelous Marvin bringing with him? Does he have a couple Deion Sanders type DBs at his current school? Is there any D1 talent on his roster that we instantly become intriguing to with our hiring of Marvin the Magnificent? Anyone in the know please elaborate!

swear to god that's how I spelt it

Hmmm...spell check from tacks to tax? Not sure I'm believing that. Just bustin ya. lol

P.S. Guessing you spelt spelled wrong on purpose, right?

swear to god that's how I spelt it

Hmmm...spell check from tacks to tax? Not sure I'm believing that. Just bustin ya. lol

P.S. Guessing you spelt spelled wrong on purpose, right?

spelt is accepted vernacular! Threw that in there to keep ya going.

If he's currently making 6 figures I suppose he would have reason to stay in California...I didn't know that some high school football coaches make 6 figures...

100k for a HS coach, I suppose its possible but I doubt it, and if he were to come here and a be a DB coach he would be close to a quarter million per year. 1/4 million in lincoln is a much better quality of life than 100k anywhere in Cali...not griping just trying to make a point! The excuse for weather is weak in my opinion...

I actually Googled California and Texas HS football coaching salaries. There were quite a few stories about Texas coaches and I found this dated in 2005 referencing some salaries. 5 were over $100k. Several in the 90-99's. I would have to assume that they only have increased in the last 8-9 years. http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/coaching_salaries.pdf

I couldn't find as much on California but I would guess it's not vastly different. Especially the private schools in CA with the money flowing in from celebrities and such.

• Fire 1
If he's currently making 6 figures I suppose he would have reason to stay in California...I didn't know that some high school football coaches make 6 figures...

100k for a HS coach, I suppose its possible but I doubt it, and if he were to come here and a be a DB coach he would be close to a quarter million per year. 1/4 million in lincoln is a much better quality of life than 100k anywhere in Cali...not griping just trying to make a point! The excuse for weather is weak in my opinion...

hell yes, 100K in Texas for high school coaches, including benes......easily done down here.

Ron Zook? Great recruiter, good coach as long as it's not head coach.Coached Bo at OSU. Just throwing it out there.

That would be epic! Can recruit like a mother, I loved the idea of him as the DC,a couple years back.

I would like this and was hoping for Zook as DC when Carl left...but IIRC Zook has a soft recruiting coordinator position that he'd likely not want to give up.

Ron Zook? Great recruiter, good coach as long as it's not head coach.Coached Bo at OSU. Just throwing it out there.

That would be epic! Can recruit like a mother, I loved the idea of him as the DC,a couple years back.

I would like this and was hoping for Zook as DC when Carl left...but IIRC Zook has a soft recruiting coordinator position that he'd likely not want to give up.

According to this, he hasn't coached for 2 seasons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Zook

A 5A texas coach most definitely makes 6 figures. He also has 2x the assistants that a D1 coach has. All he does is coach FB and if he doesn't make it deep enough into the playoffs for the big boosters, he is out of a job.

Very high stress, high turnover job in Texas.

I am not going to get into what may or may not have happened on Marvin's departure, but I do know that he and Ron Brown were the only 2 guys that I desperately wanted Bo to hire and to keep on staff forever. In fact, I would have been fine with either one of them eventually becoming HC material.

As mentioned on 1620, Marvin and Bo are very, very close, but Marvin is in California in a very good situation, making good money, living near beach......... would he be interested in coming back to a place where the HC is pressumably on the hot-seat going into next year ? Marvin may say thanks but no thanks.....sit back, coach big time HS in Cally, enjoy weather.

I would love Marvin, just not sure it will happen. Although many so-called media close to Husker football keep throwing his name around.

If Nebraska wants Sanders & we can't beat out a high school team for his services, then there's a serious problem.

There is a certain quality of life that Marvin may enjoy in California. There is a reason 8 kajillion people live there.

No so fast, my friend. It ain't all it's made out to be...people are leaving as fast as the illegals are coming across the border ;)