Chatelain: Blackshirts are perfect way to jolt Nebraska's brand

Saunders

A Blackshirt movement could give the Defense something to rally behind, Unify to achieve success.

Or it could blow up in our face when FAU hangs 24 points and 430 yards on us. Kidding. I would like to see the Blackshirt name brand pushed harder. The recruits would likely dig it.

I agree re: throwing the bones, I don't agree re: skull and crossbones. I'm not calling for a totally new idea that scraps everything, but a rebranding that isn't antiquated to the early 90's. Trying to be as non-pretentious as possible, I just don't think any of us would see any product or idea outside of Nebraska, centered around a skull and crossbones, and be drawn in in any way.

It's a symbol for an ideal...

black_sails_key_art_a_p.jpg

2396855-ac4blackflag.jpeg

Is the ideal that our defense is pirates? :P Because that's what both of those are specifically for.

But they're actually both good branding.

I agree re: throwing the bones, I don't agree re: skull and crossbones. I'm not calling for a totally new idea that scraps everything, but a rebranding that isn't antiquated to the early 90's. Trying to be as non-pretentious as possible, I just don't think any of us would see any product or idea outside of Nebraska, centered around a skull and crossbones, and be drawn in in any way.

It's a symbol for an ideal...

black_sails_key_art_a_p.jpg

2396855-ac4blackflag.jpeg

Is the ideal that our defense is pirates? :P Because that's what both of those are specifically for.

But they're actually both good branding.

No (although we need the D to do more pillaging). You stated that that "I just don't think any of us would see any product or idea outside of Nebraska, centered around a skull and crossbones, and be drawn in in any way." I think these are good examples of that imagery. I certainly think they're badass.

No (although we need the D to do more pillaging). You stated that that "I just don't think any of us would see any product or idea outside of Nebraska, centered around a skull and crossbones, and be drawn in in any way." I think these are good examples of that imagery. I certainly think they're badass.

I mean...I guess I need to add the qualifier "unless the product or idea is specifically about pirates".

Even then those are both modern enough revisions of the idea, as you put it, that they work well.

I had an idea for "re-branding" the Blackshirts. Put a flagpole on top of the north suites & before kickoff of every game, have an ex blackshirt raise the Blackshirt flag. ala Seattle with the "12" flag. Give out black towels to all the fans. You wanna get the fans into it? How into it would they be seeing Grant Wistrom raise the flag before the game with Enter Sandman or something playing on the PA system? Defensive recruits would be falling all over themselves to get her just to see it in person. My .02

• Fire 1

I don't understand all the hate for this guy. Yeah, he is a friggin' dork and he has opinions that are often contrarion, but this is good stuff and this guy is a great writer. Yeah, it comes off as more of a laundry list, but he gets the idea out there. People are talking about. People are posting links to message boards about it. The ideas are being discussed.

If his intent is to spark conversation (as it is with all writers) he wins. If he actually cares about what he is saying here an wants to see it happen, hey, he is getting people thinking.

I would personally love to see these kinds of things taking place/being implemented, but in typical, stubborn administration fashion, they probably won't be. It won't be because they aren't good ideas; it will be out of spite and disdain that they hadn't thought of the ideas on their own.

Making a few anti-Bo comments and then shoving a bunch of interesting links into your 'article' doesn't make you a great writer.

Seriously - is there some law or rule or codicil of which I'm not aware that forces people to put this guy's name in the title of every thread/article they post?

This doesn't happen with Sam McKewon.

This doesn't happen with Steve Sipple.

This doesn't happen with Brian Christopherson.

This doesn't happen with Lee Barfknecht.

But it happens with Dirk Chatelain. Every time.

I swear Dirk Chatelain must have some psychic mojo brainwashing power over everyone.

jRl5zU9.pngJ3vUhpr.png

• Fire 3

The skull and crossbones is as engrained into the American culture as nearly any symbol. From newspapers and others using this as a symbol instead of tax stamps in the American Revolution to the Skull and Bones society at Yale and the power it wields this "tacky" symbol represents the ideal of the rebellious traits of America. It is our early identity. It isn't something started by pirates, it is something they adopted because their belief system fit right into what the Skull and Bones represents.

Also, the fact that you don't think this would appeal to the youth of American seems a little short-sighted. Even without the two excellent examples given to you, I give you another way that the skull and bones has been adapted to symbolize an ideal:

Sons_Of_Anarchy_ReaperLogo_Black_Shirt_POP.jpg

EDIT: Interestingly, I found this online...and promptly ordered myself one!

NEB1099-02_large.jpg?v=1381429917