2014 Expectations

Also, Tommy just appears to be more comfortable in the pocket. Taylor always seemed to have that "panicky" feeling. Now I'm not trying to turn this into another Taylor vs tommy deal, and I'm not saying that at any point in the season that Tommy was better than 100% Taylor, for it was never about that. It was about Tommy vs hurt Taylor. But in looking at Taylor's history as a qb, he tended to show a lack of want to to stretch the field vertically. Tommy on the other hand has no problem pushing the ball down the field. And I think that's an aspect of the pass game that we have to have.

A lot of Tommy's incompletions this year were just missing. That NW game especially, he missed a lot of guys by just a few inches on deep corner and flag routes. The encouraging part is that he's making the right decision, and with a little more work, can develope a timing and chemistry with the receivers necessary to complete them throws. Against Georgia, he lined a pass to Turner in the back of the endzone from 30+ yards out that Jamal dropped. That was a thing of beauty. There's plenty of potential there.

Drops played a major part in Tommy's incompletions, there were quite a few that were tipped by our WR's that could've been caught iirc.

That crossed my mind as well, but you would think that would also have a similar effect on Taylor. I treat that as a variable that both qb's had to deal with.

Also, Tommy just appears to be more comfortable in the pocket. Taylor always seemed to have that "panicky" feeling. Now I'm not trying to turn this into another Taylor vs tommy deal, and I'm not saying that at any point in the season that Tommy was better than 100% Taylor, for it was never about that. It was about Tommy vs hurt Taylor. But in looking at Taylor's history as a qb, he tended to show a lack of want to to stretch the field vertically. Tommy on the other hand has no problem pushing the ball down the field. And I think that's an aspect of the pass game that we have to have.

A lot of Tommy's incompletions this year were just missing. That NW game especially, he missed a lot of guys by just a few inches on deep corner and flag routes. The encouraging part is that he's making the right decision, and with a little more work, can develope a timing and chemistry with the receivers necessary to complete them throws. Against Georgia, he lined a pass to Turner in the back of the endzone from 30+ yards out that Jamal dropped. That was a thing of beauty. There's plenty of potential there.

Exactly. And you have to think (regardless of the "I compete every day" mantra)...that Tommy went into the season planning on taking 50 snaps if he's lucky. He spent the entire offseason mentally preparing himself to be the backup. This offseason he'll have an entirely different approach. It will be him, not Taylor leading the 7 on 7s. It'll be him taking the snaps through spring. Him through fall. Plenty of backups get thrown in there early and thrive (Ohio State/Missouri) - but many more end up like Tommy. Give him an offseason, and he might be en entirely different QB. He wasn't that far off, but you can't be off by much at this level.

We will be 5-0 heading into Sparty. They always rebuild that D to be stout, but they lose 4/5 leading tacklers (2 being in the secondary). Fowler who was their leading receiver is also gone but with Cook and Langford back they should be more than okay on offense. They play @Oregon the second week which will give us a better idea of what they have.

What people aren't talking about is our two key bye weeks, first being after Sparty before we head to play Northwestern. They lose Colter on offense and leading tackler on defense and that is about it. Regardless they were 1-7 in the Big10 last year. I know Mark will be great to have back but I dont see it enough to beat us since I don't think Siemian is that good of a QB,

We then should win the next two home games vs Purdue and Rutgers.

Then comes the second key bye week when we have to head to Wisconsin. Damn good team at home, but Stave will need some receivers to step up in a big way to take pressure off of that solid run game. Leading receiver back had 127 yeards this past season. We all know Borland is gone, he almost had double the tackles as the next guy.

We take care of Minnesota and have a touchdown win over Iowa to finish the year.

• Fire 2

14-0 National Champions... chuckleshuffle 2% chance

13-1 Big 10 Champions...lose the National Championship :ahhhhhhhh 5% chance

12-2 Big 10 Champions...lose in first round of National Championship :wasted8% chance

10-3 West Champs but lose Big 10 Championship :confucius :confucius 10% chance

9 - 4 Another 4 loss season :dunno 75% chance

I just can't count MSU in or out at this point. Their defense is going to take a few steps down, and we gave them a run for their money last year WITH 5 turnovers.

We say this every year, and every year they come out w/ a top 10 D. Before this season it was "without Gholston...yada yada yada". As long as Narduzzi is still there, they'll be a top 10ish D. Best thing that could happen for the Huskers would be for that guy to find a spot somewhere else. I'd like to think Nebraska is their one stumble most seasons though. Kind of like K-State seems to have Texas's number.

They have had the same defense since we have been in the Big 10. No one has ever counted their defense out, most of everyone said they would not be a favorite because of their offense. Narduzzi can't coach against a mobile QB and its shown the past 2 times they have played against Martinez. I don't think they break top 10 next year with who they face. This year, they were top 10 because of their lack of offenses they played. Not exactly hard when you only play two teams in top 25 total offense. Indiana, Ohio St and Nebraska the only top offenses they faced and put more than their season average on them. While Stanford put 162 yards rushing, Ohio St with 273 yards and Nebraska with 182.

Total offense ranking for MSU's Schedule.

W Michigan- #112

S Florida- #123

Youngstown St- FCS

Notre Dame- #68

Iowa- #85

Indiana- #9

Purdue- #121

Illinois- #46

Michigan- #87

Nebraska- #59

Northwestern- #73

Minnesota- #107

Ohio St- #7

Stanford- #69

• Fire 1

Florida Atlantic: Win (90%)

McNeese State: Win (90%)

Fresno State: Win (60%)

Miami: Win (55%)

Illinois: Win (80%)

MSU: Win (75%)

Northwestern: Win (60%)

Rutgers: Win (65%)

Purdue: Win (85%)

Wisconsin: Win (55%)

Minnesota: Win (60%)

Iowa: Win (60%)

B1G Conference Title Game (MSU): Win (60%)

Honestly, we should win out next year beyond the title game. There's not one team on that schedule that we're not equal to or better than on paper IMO, save for MSU...and we would have had MSU this year if we could have kept our mitts on the damn ball.

Honestly, we should win out next year beyond the title game. There's not one team on that schedule that we're not equal to or better than on paper IMO, save for MSU...and we would have had MSU this year if we could have kept our mitts on the damn ball.

Can't buy that we'll be undefeated, but like the optimism. :thumbs

Fla. Atlantic - Win

McNeese St - Win

Fresno St. - Win (closer than we'd like - wyoming 2013)

Miami - Win

Illinois - Win

At this point, the kool-aid is flowing nicely.

MSU - Loss

Northwestern - Loss

Pelini's seat is very hot.

Rutgers - Win

Purdue - Win

Wisconsin - Loss

Minnesota - Win

Iowa - Loss

mid-tier Bowl - Win

9-4

Can you go a post without mention of Pelini on the hot seat? You are now doing it looking into the future. Obsessed much? This hot seat is more a creation of wishful thinking by negative/toxic fans in my opinion. How can you follow Nebraska football and get any entertainment out of it? It sounds like it is nothing more than a source of frustration and unhappyness to you. Now for the record, I am not content with 9 win seasons as a fan. I think our coaching staff will be the first to tell you they are not happy with the results either. As a fan that looks at the entire body of work and circumstances that shaped the 2013 season, I think the staff and players did a great job considering. Maybe I am wrong, but you seem to be one who only looks at the final record and ignore all other factors that played a part in the outcome, which is asinine.

I predict a 10 or 11 win season in 2014. I think there will be some QB carousel as we are searching for that big play ability that is sorely needed. Toss in some key injuries, bad luck and we have 3 losses. 10-3. We do beat Iowa though.

any prediction that varies much from the past few years seems to be unwarranted. To predict a 2 loss season is overly optimistic. To pick a 6 loss season is overly pessimistic. I'd expect again a 4 loss season w/o challenging for any sort of championship.

2 of the last 4 years we finished the regular season with 2 losses, and 3 out of the last 5 we challenged (played for) a conference championship. Not sure what you mean by "unwarranted."

I agree but we have 4 good opponents on the road MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin and NW, Miami and Minnesota are home games, Most impossible to win all of those games 2 home and 4 away . First year staring QB, questions at LB and new starters on O-line and D- line we will be doing very good if we win 10 regular season games. We end up somewhere in between 11-2 ,10-3 plus the bowl