GameDay coming to Lincoln ........ maybe

Mavric

YEah I remember when we were dreaming theyd come to Lincoln last year there were several who were against the idea of them coming. Couple of vibes in this one that dont care for it.

I am probably the ringleader of what you're talking about, but it's not that I was against the idea of Gameday coming to Lincoln, I'm against the idea of ESPN.

ESPN is the shiny mobile above the crib of the American sports consciousness. ESPN does not make sports great, ESPN gloms on to the greatness inherent in sports. The sports we love existed before ESPN and would get along just fine if ESPN had never existed. ESPN would not exist were it not for those sports. ESPN is the carbuncle on le cul of the sports world.

We've covered this before.

YEah I remember when we were dreaming theyd come to Lincoln last year there were several who were against the idea of them coming. Couple of vibes in this one that dont care for it.

I am probably the ringleader of what you're talking about, but it's not that I was against the idea of Gameday coming to Lincoln, I'm against the idea of ESPN.

ESPN is the shiny mobile above the crib of the American sports consciousness. ESPN does not make sports great, ESPN gloms on to the greatness inherent in sports. The sports we love existed before ESPN and would get along just fine if ESPN had never existed. ESPN would not exist were it not for those sports. ESPN is the carbuncle on le cul of the sports world.

I still stand by my comments made last year as referenced above.

And with regards to ESPN, I don't like what they have become but they had set the standard for covering and analyzing sports that no other sports channel has even come close to equaling. Even with all of the screaming heads that they employ there hosting the god awful shows they broadcast, you still get good coverage and highlights better than anywhere else.

• Fire 2

And with regards to ESPN, I don't like what they have become but they had set the standard for covering and analyzing sports that no other sports channel has even come close to equaling. Even with all of the screaming heads that they employ there hosting the god awful shows they broadcast, you still get good coverage and highlights better than anywhere else.

:yeah

Believe me, I think ESPN has too much influence as it is. But thats also the reason Id like to see them here. Not because I respect their journalism, but because that could spark a notice for the rest of the college football world that Nebraska may be on the verge of a special season. Two name brands like Nebraska and Miami could really add support to our cause down the stretch if we turn in some special performances.

Will you be my best friend? :D

Edit: And I think it's funny that I was the only one to respond to that. I would've expected a little more backlash, especially when dealing with Texas.

'30 for 30' is one of the best sports documentary series ever.

ESPN still sucks.

Does anyone know what our record is when Gameday is in Lincoln?

That's a good question. I went to espn.com to try to see if they post this sort of thing, but couldn't find it. I know we lost to USC during the idiot era, and we've beat Washington, and I can't remember if Gameday was in Lincoln when NU beat Oklahoma on the Stuntz to Crouch game. There has to be more, but it's early here and I haven't had enough coffee to think yet.

5-1.

1994 UCLA - W

1994 Colorado - W

1998 Washington - W

2001 Notre Dame - W

2001 Oklahoma - W

2007 USC - L

I'm not doubting you...but gameday had NU twice in a year?! CU makes sense in 1994, but I don't remember UCLA at all.

http://en.wikipedia....meDay_(football)

Thanks for the link and the satisfaction of a morbid curiosity, Landlord :)

ESPN is a monster much like the NCAA. Neither are necessary for the sports continuation and both are in place to make themselves stronger. ESPN isnt going anywhere unless FOX does the unthinkable and takes over, then its FOX that we would despise instead.

ESPN the business and Gameday the show are two different things. I dont want ESPN affecting our program in any way really. While Gameday appearing in Lincoln would certainly get us back into yonger recruits eyes.

Why do people see Gameday coming here as a bad thing?

They do?

I'm kind of apathetic towards the whole thing. If they do, okay. If they don't, okay.