OWH Shatel: Relaxing at the Bo Pelini Lounge

But I never could have imagined Pelini opening his practices to the media, who are literally locked out of the Hawks indoor facility until the last whistle is blown each day. Pelini opened up practice at the Gator Bowl and liked it. The rule was reporters couldn’t report on anything they saw in real time. Nobody did. What a wonderful world.

And now he’s considering this for the fall, too.

“I thought it worked out well,” Pelini said. “I do feel comfortable doing it. I changed my mind on that. I think it will be a good thing. I think it will be a win-win for both of us.”

Who is this coach, and what have you done with the other one?

Bo's too stubborn to change....

Clearly he's trying Mavric, give the guy some credit.

Alcoholics sometimes try to change, too.

I think part of it is Pelini has learned through his own mistakes how important the recruiting piece is.

So after a DC job at a school two years removed from a BCS title game appearances then another job at a program that played for one, then another dc job at a championship program, and finally six years of running his own program, he's finally learned that he should pay more attention to recruiting?

Quick learner.

I've been alive for 37 yrs and still make blunders and mistakes I was making when I was 2, 12, 22, and 32.

Just now realizing that maybe I need to change, not necessarily the world around me.

I'm so glad your a husker fan polo. At least one person can be the perfect Jesus Pelini can follow.

I think part of it is Pelini has learned through his own mistakes how important the recruiting piece is.

So after a DC job at a school two years removed from a BCS title game appearances then another job at a program that played for one, then another dc job at a championship program, and finally six years of running his own program, he's finally learned that he should pay more attention to recruiting?

Quick learner.

I've been alive for 37 yrs and still make blunders and mistakes I was making when I was 2, 12, 22, and 32.

Just now realizing that maybe I need to change, not necessarily the world around me.

I'm so glad your a husker fan polo. At least one person can be the perfect Jesus Pelini can follow.

Presented without comment.

Quick learner.

Yeah, you're right, he should do things exactly as he always has, don't try anything new, don't change a thing.

Better yet, let's just take him out back to meet the firing squad.

Wow.

Quick learner.

Maybe you misunderstood. It's okay--those are mistakes that we constantly make. But maybe it didn't take Pelini that long to figure out that recruiting is more important, but rather how you can best reach the kids you really want to reach. In a constantly changing landscape, it's important to understand the unique aspects of each class, each generation, so that you can better tailor your pitches to your recruits. Perhaps that is what Bo was alluding to there.

Quick learner.

Maybe you misunderstood. It's okay--those are mistakes that we constantly make. But maybe it didn't take Pelini that long to figure out that recruiting is more important, but rather how you can best reach the kids you really want to reach. In a constantly changing landscape, it's important to understand the unique aspects of each class, each generation, so that you can better tailor your pitches to your recruits. Perhaps that is what Bo was alluding to there.

Uh yeah,

Or Pelini either didn't think he needed to care about recruiting because he believes he's a genius or he didn't care because the didn't think there was any way he'd be at Nebraska at this point. He'd be so successful that Ohio st or someone would break the bank to get him and we'd all kiss his ass out the f'ing door.

Perhaps those could be reasons too.

• Fire 1

Quick learner.

Uh yeah,

Or Pelini either didn't think he needed to care about recruiting because he believes he's a genius or he didn't care because the didn't think there was any way he'd be at Nebraska at this point. He'd be so successful that Ohio st or someone would break the bank to get him and we'd all kiss his ass out the f'ing door.

Come on, there is no way that anybody becomes even a defensive coordinator without understanding the base importance of recruiting.

Especially at a place like Nebraska, which is starved for talent in-state and around neighboring states. Our location, our lack of a recruiting hotbed, means our coaching staff has to put in a lot more effort into a recruit who might not even commit to the school. For example, you have a kid who lives in Los Angeles. That's UCLA's yard, if the Bruins wanted to go after him, all they have to do is walk out the front door. If we want him, we take 2 hours to fly to Los Angeles plus whatever time it takes to get to where he lives, or where he plays football. Something as simple it taking longer to recruit one kid than your competitors makes managing time for yourself as well as for your recruiters all the more difficult. There's only 24 hours in a day, and you can't talk to a kid when it's 3 in the morning.

So maybe, when you only have a few recruits and your time to manage, you could develop the idea that recruiting is easier than it actually is; moving up to being the head coach presents a slew of other issues that might take some time (and yes more time if you're stubborn like Bo is sometimes) to learn.

But no, Pelini is a douche, you're right.

• Fire 3

Quick learner.

Uh yeah,

Come on, there is no way that anybody becomes even a defensive coordinator without understanding the base importance of recruiting.

Especially at a place like Nebraska, which is starved for talent in-state and around neighboring states. Our location, our lack of a recruiting hotbed, means our coaching staff has to put in a lot more effort into a recruit who might not even commit to the school. For example, you have a kid who lives in Los Angeles. That's UCLA's yard, if the Bruins wanted to go after him, all they have to do is walk out the front door. If we want him, we take 2 hours to fly to Los Angeles plus whatever time it takes to get to where he lives, or where he plays football. Something as simple it taking longer to recruit one kid than your competitors makes managing time for yourself as well as for your recruiters all the more difficult. There's only 24 hours in a day, and you can't talk to a kid when it's 3 in the morning.

So maybe, when you only have a few recruits and your time to manage, you could develop the idea that recruiting is easier than it actually is; moving up to being the head coach presents a slew of other issues that might take some time (and yes more time if you're stubborn like Bo is sometimes) to learn.

But no, Pelini is a douche, you're right.

This premise works if no top recruits have ever committed to Nebraska. But that isn't true.

Its the off season. It was a good read. Hopefully Bo continues to improve as a coach to include recruiting, player management, game plan etc...... I like to see him doing things differently. I just hope it translates to the field on Saturdays and the recruiting trail.

Every year, regardless of the previous season (and against my better judgment) I buy into the preseason hype. I will again this year. From Bo changing (also read simplifying O) to the "real" QB battle, to looking forward to the hype that is the spring game etc...........I will continue to be optimistic, probably disappointed at times and always feel I know more than the staff, BUT never stop cheering for the Huskers.

Even if so Polo, it didnt take Bo 6 years to figure out the importance of recruiting. The perceived trend of the extra emphasis on it-whether deemed successful or not-began a good 3 years ago. Now we're starting to see the results. We've had this discussion before. Sometimes results dont just happen overnight. You have to create a trend. A direction. And stick with the process (god forbid) that you believe in. Now, 3-4 years later, our 2015 class is shaping up as quite special. Already 6, rather highly regarded commits. All 4 stars depending on pub'.

• Fire 1

If one plays by the rule that only a national championship is acceptable then the fans of every team in the country except one are disappointed at the end of the year. It took Devaney 8 years to get one and he had a couple rough years and a learning curve to get through. Successful coaching is a process and some get it sooner than others. It feels like Bo is opening up and changing a few things. I'd rather be a "cup mostly full" guy than the opposite. I buy in every year and hope for the best but I don't jump off the wagon ever.

Even if so Polo, it didnt take Bo 6 years to figure out the importance of recruiting. The perceived trend of the extra emphasis on it-whether deemed successful or not-began a good 3 years ago. Now we're starting to see the results. We've had this discussion before. Sometimes results dont just happen overnight. You have to create a trend. A direction. And stick with the process (god forbid) that you believe in. Now, 3-4 years later, our 2015 class is shaping up as quite special. Already 6, rather highly regarded commits. All 4 stars depending on pub'.

I think there's a difference between the perceived emphasis, and the actual emphasis. The actual emphasis is starting just about now with the 2015 class, and I wouldn't call it "extra". He should have been putting this kind of work in all along. To Bo's credit, I think he's starting to prove all the excuses people made for his efforts in recruiting the first 6 years were patent bullsh#t.

I think there's a difference between the perceived emphasis, and the actual emphasis. The actual emphasis is starting just about now with the 2015 class, and I wouldn't call it "extra". He should have been putting this kind of work in all along. To Bo's credit, I think he's starting to prove all the excuses people made for his efforts in recruiting the first 6 years were patent bullsh#t.

Let it be known that he didn't have these kinds of resources all along.