***2016 Recruiting***

I thought we had more room this year but we seem to be getting close to 85/88. Here's my list - let me know if I have anything messed up.

With Williams getting a sixth year and 16 current commits, I show us at 83 right now. Obviously Collins might leave and there will be others but I wonder how many others the coaches already know about. But that's only five more spots at the moment - 21 new commits - to get to 88.

I thought we had more room this year but we seem to be getting close to 85/88. Here's my list - let me know if I have anything messed up.

With Williams getting a sixth year and 16 current commits, I show us at 83 right now. Obviously Collins might leave and there will be others but I wonder how many others the coaches already know about. But that's only five more spots at the moment - 21 new commits - to get to 88.

I've been a little confused about this as well. I've seen reports that Nebraska could take a class of 25+, but that would require some major roster changes and departures of many members currently on the team. We have room for 18 commits before guys need to start leaving the team.

Who's that going to be? A few current walk on players could be taken off scholarship. Lane Hovey, Trey Foster, and Ross Dzuris come to mind. I also think that Maliek Collins (and possibly Vincent Valentine) could declare for the draft. For arguments sake, lets say Collins goes. That opens 4 more spots to get to 22 commits before oversigning.

If Nebraska wants to oversign by 3 in order to get to 25, I'm guessing that one of the younger RBs leaves the team. You could always take away Ryker Fyfe's scholarship as well as Charles Jackson who's career has been plagued by injuries. Any other thoughts about how Nebraska could open up more roster spots?

• Fire 1

I could see CJax move on. He and Corey Whitaker are the only two seniors-to-be that really haven't contributed. Plus Collins could be up to three out of that class.

The juniors-to-be are kind of sparse. Not sure what to think about Adam Taylor, AJ Natter and Boaz Joesph. They don't appear to be on their way to playing time but they've all redshirted so transferring doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless Taylor could get a medical hardship for another year. Dwayne Johnson was in the doghouse coming into fall so he could be another one.

All the sophomores-to-be seem to be in line to be in the rotation next year except Darlington and Bush. Under other circumstances, I'd expect at least one to leave but I've seen a couple times that Darlington isn't looking to go anywhere and Bush is a bit of a project anyway.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens on that front. If any are leaving, you'd think we'd find out in the next month or so. Could be just a couple or could be a bunch.

• Fire 2

I could see CJax move on. He and Corey Whitaker are the only two seniors-to-be that really haven't contributed. Plus Collins could be up to three out of that class.

The juniors-to-be are kind of sparse. Not sure what to think about Adam Taylor, AJ Natter and Boaz Joesph. They don't appear to be on their way to playing time but they've all redshirted so transferring doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless Taylor could get a medical hardship for another year. Dwayne Johnson was in the doghouse coming into fall so he could be another one.

All the sophomores-to-be seem to be in line to be in the rotation next year except Darlington and Bush. Under other circumstances, I'd expect at least one to leave but I've seen a couple times that Darlington isn't looking to go anywhere and Bush is a bit of a project anyway.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens on that front. If any are leaving, you'd think we'd find out in the next month or so. Could be just a couple or could be a bunch.

I took another look at the juniors-to-be, I now realize how small the 2017 recruiting class is going to be.

AJ Natter is a good point, hasn't seen much playing time. With the lack of depth at DE, I wonder if they keep him simply to have an extra body at the position. As you said, it'll be interesting to see how the roster shapes itself leading into Spring practice.

I took another look at the juniors-to-be, I now realize how small the 2017 recruiting class is going to be.

Good point. I wonder if they "save" a couple scholarships this year to have a couple extra next year.

Or through summer/fall attrition they are able to take early enrollees in 2017 and back count them. They would have a better idea of how many schollys are available then.

Good point. I wonder if they "save" a couple scholarships this year to have a couple extra next year.

Or through summer/fall attrition they are able to take early enrollees in 2017 and back count them. They would have a better idea of how many schollys are available then.

Possibly. But that's kind of gambling on who can early enroll and if you can get them.

Possibly. But that's kind of gambling on who can early enroll and if you can get them.

Very true.

Early enrollees don't matter for the 88 limit and even if players are leaving over the summer they still can't be over the 88 on signing day.

There were a few occasions this year where Natter made some pretty big plays, I would hate to see him go especially with the depth problems on the d-line this year. Whitaker was also the first tackle off the bench when Lewis went down late in one game.

Even with Collins expected to declare, I would assume that Keyan Williams is going to get a scholarship. So that still leaves only 5 spots open.

Early enrollees don't matter for the 88 limit and even if players are leaving over the summer they still can't be over the 88 on signing day.

There were a few occasions this year where Natter made some pretty big plays, I would hate to see him go especially with the depth problems on the d-line this year.

Even with Collins expected to declare, I would assume that Keyan Williams is going to get a scholarship. So that stills leaves only 5 spots open.

What if they leave before signing day?,

If they declare for the draft then the schollie wouldn't count, but its 88 by signing day which is February 3 (the deadline for declaring for the draft is January 15). So they'd have a month to leave after the bowl game, seems unlikely they would give up their spring semester scholarship.

If they leave before the spring semester starts (see Love and Hart last year), then they can be on scholly at their new school.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we see guys leave before the bowl game (again, see Love and Hart last year).