SIGNED - DE Daishon Neal

This attitude is the reason Michigan will NOT win more than 9 games in any of the whole 3-at-most seasons that Harbaugh is there. Theyve ran off 2 good coaches who were failing for obvious reasons that are Michigan problems. Why do I say this? Simple. Rodriguez and Hoke have both been very successful at every place EXCEPT Michigan. And RichRod has now rebuilt a program since Michigan. There are problems with MICHIGAN right now. They are not coaching problems. A guy like Hoke doesnt come in and rebuild the worst defense intoa solid unit, lead the team to 11 wins and a bcs bowl win without being a good coach.

• Fire 1

This attitude is the reason Michigan will NOT win more than 9 games in any of the whole 3-at-most seasons that Harbaugh is there. Theyve ran off 2 good coaches who were failing for obvious reasons that are Michigan problems. Why do I say this? Simple. Rodriguez and Hoke have both been very successful at every place EXCEPT Michigan. And RichRod has now rebuilt a program since Michigan. There are problems with MICHIGAN right now. They are not coaching problems. A guy like Hoke doesnt come in and rebuild the worst defense intoa solid unit, lead the team to 11 wins and a bcs bowl win without being a good coach.

Eerily similar to our position with Bo don't you think? Their best defenses were both early in their respective careers at their last jobs, using the last coaches players. Does this mean Riley is doomed to fail before we play a game?

I'm not disagreeing with you.

But, I'm baffled as to what the issues are.

As you say, they have't hired "bad coaches". Over the last 8 years, their recruiting classes have averaged ranked 13.125 with 3 top ten classes and two more ranked 11 and 12. (per 247)

So, they have talent (at least highly rated out of HS.) They have good coaches.

So, what is missing?

Was Hoke very successful at every place except Michigan?

He left Ball St after getting them turned around and had a 12-1 season. Left San Diego St after turning them around and had a 9-4 season. Just never stayed anywhere long enough for any sustained success.

Prior to that 12-1 season he almost shocked the college football world by beating us at home but fell what, 40 yards short?

As you say, they have't hired "bad coaches". Over the last 8 years, their recruiting classes have averaged ranked 13.125 with 3 top ten classes and two more ranked 11 and 12. (per 247)

So, what is missing?

thats the million dollar question my man. Who knows. But theyve had two good coaches and top 20 talent and yes still continue to regress. Its hard to put a thumb on. If it was one coach, then maybe its on the coach. But two, and one starting out pretty damn successful tells me that coaching isnt the issue there. Hell, i even think whatever the issues are can be traced back to 2005 when they went 7-5. Then 9-4 in 2007 and Lloyd Carr was all but run out and of course thats where the real troubles began.
  • Fire 1

I don't think you can call a coach 'good' based on three total seasons of 9 or more wins at three different schools. You can however call him smart for cashing in on those seasons.

If you do it at one, it could be an anomoly. But at 3, well, it's a pretty good reflection of his abilities, esp at programs of the caliber he was at. And I guess, if he really is NOT that good, well, that poors more fuel on the "michigan problem" fire, cuz Hoke was the "Michigan Man" they had a hard-on over, same as Harbaugh.

So, what is missing?

thats the million dollar question my man. Who knows. But theyve had two good coaches and top 20 talent and yes still continue to regress. Its hard to put a thumb on. If it was one coach, then maybe its on the coach. But two, and one starting out pretty damn successful tells me that coaching isnt the issue there. Hell, i even think whatever the issues are can be traced back to 2005 when they went 7-5. Then 9-4 in 2007 and Lloyd Carr was all but run out and of course thats where the real troubles began.

This is something that is very interesting in team sports. There are programs in all sports that appear to have everything needed to be successful but it just never happens. The coach ultimately gets blamed, changes are made and nothing changes as far as that success.

I believe it has to do with the internal mentality of the team. Sometimes that is something that even a good coach has an extremely difficult time changing. Players are around each other much more than they are around any HC. The mentality flows form one class to the others even though the coaches change.

What a program needs sometimes is an incoming class that has their own personality and they change the entire mentality of the team. I have seen it in HS and I'm sure it happens in college too.

That mentality though, is everything! More than X's and O's, that's probably the most important responsibility a coach has. Expert coaches have gone and flunked out everywhere. Sometimes it's not the coaches' faults at all, but I don't think we will be able to see any shift in mentality without a lot of effort & direction from the coaches eitehr.