Gregory #5 in Sporting News' Top 25 Players in CFB

Before you go too far into that strength of schedule argument, look at Hackenburg's numbers against Kent State.

13/35 (37.1%) for 176 yards

I understand he could be a great talent and have a ton of potential, I think he's a little overrated at this point in his career based on what he's done on the field.

How about his numbers against UCF, which both obscure quarterbacks you listed also played against :)

Hackenberg - 21/28 (75%) for 262 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

O'Korn - 24/46 (52%) for 231 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT

Walker - 26/44 (59%) for 382 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT

Before you go too far into that strength of schedule argument, look at Hackenburg's numbers against Kent State.

I understand he could be a great talent and have a ton of potential, I think he's a little overrated at this point in his career based on what he's done on the field.

How about his numbers against UCF, which both obscure quarterbacks you listed also played against :)

Another true freshman QB also played against UCF.

Burcham - 24/34 (70.6%) for 222 yards 1, TD, 0 INT.

Another true freshman QB also played against UCF.

Burcham - 24/34 (70.6%) for 222 yards 1, TD, 0 INT.

It's also worth mentioning that Hackenberg did it with significantly fewer scholarship players. He probably did about as well as an 18 year old true freshmen could have considering his schedule and roster limitations.

About Gregory, if he has another 10 sack season he'll more than likely be a top 10 overall pick. No reason to stick around if that's the case.

I think Gregory stays.

He is no Clowney. Clowney we

Hmm, my post got cut off for some reason.

Clowney weighs 270 right?

Gregory finished the year a pube above 230 I betcha.

Hopefully he fills out a bit more and keeps his weight up. Add the further attention he'll get in double teams and stuff, I hope his numbers exceed last years. I think he could use another yr in college personally.

I have a feeling this is going to be the more likely situation. An additional year to drive up his draft stock (you think Suh is the number 2 pick after a junior year?), and a tradition of players sticking around to finish out their degree (Suh, Rex, Ameer, Bell, etc).

he has a lot more attention going into his junior year than suh did. and i think his goal has been the league the whole time, so i doubt he is too concerned about a degree right now.

Yea, then what is he going to do after he turns 35? Stick around and get the degree. Most guys go bankrupt after making all that money anyway. Need something to fall back on.

I have a feeling this is going to be the more likely situation. An additional year to drive up his draft stock (you think Suh is the number 2 pick after a junior year?), and a tradition of players sticking around to finish out their degree (Suh, Rex, Ameer, Bell, etc).

he has a lot more attention going into his junior year than suh did. and i think his goal has been the league the whole time, so i doubt he is too concerned about a degree right now.

Yea, then what is he going to do after he turns 35? Stick around and get the degree. Most guys go bankrupt after making all that money anyway. Need something to fall back on.

Do colleges not allow you to go back and get your degree after you turn pro? You go to the NFL if/when the time is right. You can always go back and get your degree.

If he hates school now, he's not gunna just magically love it after he's done playing football.

But he'll magically prefer it to millions of dollars?

Yep. Here's another way to look at it: A high school grad is expected to make $1.3 million over their lifetime. A college grad is expected to make $2.3 million over their lifetime. So if a player expects to make more than a million dollars in the NFL (or anything else for that matter), they're expected to be better off with the money and the high school diploma. If there's a lot of percentage expenses (taxes, agents, etc.), then just account for those. If a player expects to lose 60% of the contract money, then the contract needs to be for more than $1.67 million.

Where are guys making about $1.6 million in the draft? That's about where Gregory's tipping point will be if it's only about the money.

If he hates school now, he's not gunna just magically love it after he's done playing football.

Yep. Here's another way to look at it: A high school grad is expected to make $1.3 million over their lifetime. A college grad is expected to make $2.3 million over their lifetime. So if a player expects to make more than a million dollars in the NFL (or anything else for that matter), they're expected to be better off with the money and the high school diploma. If there's a lot of percentage expenses (taxes, agents, etc.), then just account for those. If a player expects to lose 60% of the contract money, then the contract needs to be for more than $1.67 million.

Where are guys making about $1.6 million in the draft? That's about where Gregory's tipping point will be if it's only about the money.

Pretty low, I imagine. Not sure what you're getting at I guess. But he'd be making a poor decision to pass up a $20,000,000+ NFL contract, if he had that opportunity as a rookie, in my opinion.

Pretty low, I imagine. Not sure what you're getting at I guess. But he'd be making a poor decision to pass up a $20,000,000+ NFL contract, if he had that opportunity as a rookie, in my opinion.

I'm agreeing with your point. I'm taking it farther by saying Gregory doesn't have to even go high in the draft for it to make financial sense.

they go bankrupt because they do not manage their money well, not because they lack a degree.

If Gregory had an extra 20 pounds on him, he'd a been gone already last year. Some talking head said he had better hands and technique than Clowny. Tremendous jump off the edge and so on. But his physique just wasnt quite ready. So yeah, anything short of a disasterous 2014 for this guy, and this will be his last year here.

If Gregory had an extra 20 pounds on him, he'd a been gone already last year. Some talking head said he had better hands and technique than Clowny. Tremendous jump off the edge and so on. But his physique just wasnt quite ready. So yeah, anything short of a disasterous 2014 for this guy, and this will be his last year here.

You have to figure that that broken leg probably held him back his training for a bit and, as bad as it sounds, is a blessing in disguise for us.

In regards to passing up the degree, the vast majority of universities will allow players who have left early to come back and finish their degrees free of charge (although I assume rooming, etc. is not paid for). Worst case, he has the option to come back and finish up.