Joseph and Tolbert Arrested

You'd think the football program would have a set of their own bikes for players to use. I spose that would be against some ncaa rule. God forbid they have an economical, cheap, green, healthy way to travel around town.

Most places a UNL student (athlete or not) is going to want to go are within walking distance. The player wanted to go downtown. That's like 5 blocks from where he stole the bike.

Really??? I don't think so. Plenty of places they might want to go that are definitely not within walking distance unless you want to spend your entire day walking.

So UNL should now be spending money for players to have bikes so that they don't steal other bikes? I'm gonna go ahead and step away from the internet today, this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

You'd think the football program would have a set of their own bikes for players to use. I spose that would be against some ncaa rule. God forbid they have an economical, cheap, green, healthy way to travel around town.

Most places a UNL student (athlete or not) is going to want to go are within walking distance. The player wanted to go downtown. That's like 5 blocks from where he stole the bike.

Really??? I don't think so. Plenty of places they might want to go that are definitely not within walking distance unless you want to spend your entire day walking.

So UNL should now be spending money for players to have bikes so that they don't steal other bikes? I'm gonna go ahead and step away from the internet today, this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

No, how about having bikes just to have bikes for people to use if they want to. It's not f'ing brain surgery. Has nothing to do with stealing bikes or not. Yes, they shouldn't have to have bikes just to make sure players don't have to steal bikes. That's not the point. But, if they did, it's most likely something they wouldn't have to worry about anymore. Stepping away from the internet for today sounds like the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

No, how about having bikes just to have bikes for people to use if they want to. It's not f'ing brain surgery. Has nothing to do with stealing bikes or not. Yes, they shouldn't have to have bikes just to make sure players don't have to steal bikes. That's not the point. But, if they did, it's most likely something they wouldn't have to worry about anymore. Stepping away from the internet for today sounds like the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Sounds like that is what was tried before and guess what.....THEY WERE STOLEN.....

They did that a few years ago at UNL, too. The bikes were painted distinctly (red stripes on them, I think) to make it clear that they were campus bikes. The program ended when all of the bikes were stolen, IIRC.

How about this....KEEP YOUR FRIGGEN HANDS OFF OF OTHER PEOPLE'S STUFF.

Good Lord....Now, because our football players can't stop themselves from stealing other people's bikes, we have to provide them for them.

Sometimes this world is so friggen ridiculous it's beyond funny. :facepalm:

What isn't in walking distance for someone new to town who doesn't have people to visit in other parts of Lincoln? They have enough clothes given to them to last at least a week, they get meals, there's detergent and home stuff at the student union, and downtown has pretty much anything else that's necessary. There's fast food, bars, walgreens, and a bunch of other crap for pretty much anything they need. I very rarely venture east of 17th street or south of south street. Maybe once every 3 months. We don't need to provide bikes for them just because they want the luxury of shopping at some store nobody needs to shop at. And again, the dude who took the bike wanted to ride it 5 blocks or so. What is that, a 10 minute walk?

What isn't in walking distance for someone new to town who doesn't have people to visit in other parts of Lincoln? They have enough clothes given to them to last at least a week, they get meals, there's detergent and home stuff at the student union, and downtown has pretty much anything else that's necessary. There's fast food, bars, walgreens, and a bunch of other crap for pretty much anything they need. I very rarely venture east of 17th street or south of south street. Maybe once every 3 months. We don't need to provide bikes for them just because they want the luxury of shopping at some store nobody needs to shop at. And again, the dude who took the bike wanted to ride it 5 blocks or so. What is that, a 10 minute walk?

So you're basing things off your tendencies?? I'm not basing my comments off of just this incident in particular. I'm looking at the bigger picture. You have to look outside your own life, tendencies, and preferences. They are dealing with 100+ guys just on the football team from every different walk of life. Everything isn't so black and white.

Sounds like that is what was tried before and guess what.....THEY WERE STOLEN.....

They did that a few years ago at UNL, too. The bikes were painted distinctly (red stripes on them, I think) to make it clear that they were campus bikes. The program ended when all of the bikes were stolen, IIRC.

Good Lord....Now, because our football players can't stop themselves from stealing other people's bikes, we have to provide them for them.

Buster, it sounded to me the program before was done by the University. Sounds like they just left unlocked bikes around campus for people to use. Wow, I wonder how that didn't work.

I'm talking the football program or athletic department in particular could do it and have whoever wants to use them check them out, etc.

So, you have Mr. Joseph strolling on campus wanting to get to some place 5 blocks south. His poor little legs are tired and he just can't take it anymore. He says...."Hey, I wish I had a bike to ride".

You really think at that point he is going to walk over to the athletic department and ask to check out a bike? ESPECIALLY, since he is OBVIOUSLY perfectly fine stealing someone else's???

How about teaching these kids that you don't automatically get every little thing you wish for just because you play football AND, it is NOT OK to take someone else's.

Sorry, this whole issue just pisses me off. We spend literally millions of dollars catering to these guys building amazing facilities and getting them absolutely every idiotic thing they think they need and they honestly think it is OK then to STILL go steal something from another student that probably is paying for his college education out of his own pocket and working his ass off to get it done.

This entitlement mentality is honestly disgusting and the thought that people actually think they deserve MORE so that they can keep their asses out of jail is beyond understanding.

• Fire 2

So you're basing things off your tendencies?? I'm not basing my comments off of just this incident in particular. I'm looking at the bigger picture. You have to look outside your own life, tendencies, and preferences. They are dealing with 100+ guys just on the football team from every different walk of life. Everything isn't so black and white.

You're not going to convince me that someone who gets more money than I get to go to school, + free clothes, NEEDS to be given a bicycle. If they need something more it should be something that's a necessity but that's a completely different topic. Also... they get room and board $. Why the hell don't they just buy their own damn bikes with that? You can get a decent one for $100 and get it repaired for $100 or less. If their expenses are higher it's because they're bad with money.

This entitlement mentality is honestly disgusting and the thought that people actually think they deserve MORE so that they can keep their asses out of jail is beyond understanding.

i agree with a lot of what you are saying, but i do not think this is an entitlement issue. i think these guys might just be making bad decisions.

i agree with a lot of what you are saying, but i do not think this is an entitlement issue. i think these guys might just be making bad decisions.

The word entitlement might have been the wrong word. It just seems like over the last 6 months, all I have read is that these poor poor athletes need to be given more and more and more because they just can't live the way they do. These poor children just are asked to do too much....God forbid he would need to walk 5 blocks.

Make me puke.

Meanwhile, the bike that he THOUGHT he was stealing very well could come from a kid working his ass off at a couple different jobs and eating ramen noodles in the cheapest apartment he can find in Lincoln.

The word entitlement might have been the wrong word. It just seems like over the last 6 months, all I have read is that these poor poor athletes need to be given more and more and more because they just can't live the way they do. These poor children just are asked to do too much....God forbid he would need to walk 5 blocks.

Make me puke.

yeah, i should have added that i do not think the answer to this problem is to give them more stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

No. It's just a thing that modern cities do because it's inexpensive and convenient.

this is a classic case of entrapment. cops know husker players can't resist the allure of left alone bikes.

Just pretend you found a money clip loaded with $20 bills in sidewalk or parking lot. Keep it and run or turned-in by authorities (police) ? Myself, I would feel very nervous and wary about entrapment trap sting thus I will probably turned-in .... Honest John or not.

Or else keep $20 bill or two and remaining money, turned-in (built in reward ;)).