Children and immigration reform

On 10/2/2023 at 9:29 AM, funhusker said:

A continuous wall won't work and really isn't feasible with natural ecosystems and terrain.  And just catching folks at a border and telling them to turn around is dangerous and cruel.  Putting migrants lives in danger with threats of shooting or drowning on things in a river is just asenine. 

But expecting people to get processed and allowed entry in an efficient way is also currently impossible.  We would have to build massive internment camps at the border to house everyone that approaches points of entry claiming asylum.  That is really the only current alternative to writing down the names and then letting them go live with family/friends so the government doesn't have to spend money/resources on housing and feeding them.

More people in the U.S. is not a problem, especially if they are allowed to legally work.  The HUGE problem is how do we quickly get these people into the work force and meaningful contributors to the economy?

Agreed, but we need to be able and willing to easily limit the flow when needed. My friend worked for a company who invented sensors for the military. Initially they were supposed to be shot from grenade launchers into buildings for urban warfare, and they would setup a wireless network of sensors. Images, IR, you name it. They were testing them on the border too. They could be put anywhere and could alert the border patrol with images and location info in seconds.  The Obama admin killed the project. 

• Plus1 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 9:49 AM, nic said:

Agreed, but we need to be able and willing to easily limit the flow when needed. My friend worked for a company who invented sensors for the military. Initially they were supposed to be shot from grenade launchers into buildings for urban warfare, and they would setup a wireless network of sensors. Images, IR, you name it. They were testing them on the border too. They could be put anywhere and could alert the border patrol with images and location info in seconds.  The Obama admin killed the project. 

Does the military even use these "sensors"?

4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Does the military even use these "sensors"?

I do not know. It was for urban warfare in the mideast or anywhere really. I can ask if they sold to the military. I only know they did not pursue the homeland security option. 

• TBH 1
17 minutes ago, nic said:

I do not know. It was for urban warfare in the mideast or anywhere really. I can ask if they sold to the military. I only know they did not pursue the homeland security option. 

There are any number of reasons the government wouldn't want to pursue the project further, and it most likely wasn't a political one.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

There are any number of reasons the government wouldn't want to pursue the project further, and it most likely wasn't a political one.

Didn't say it was political, just not a priority at the time. I understand there are many reasons the gov cancels projects, and some are absolutely political. Simple change of parties and priorities. We just lost 3.5M because they could not pass a spending bill, although it may come back if Congress can fix its disfunction. 

• TBH 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...